Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2021 1:48:02 AM EDT
I have a M16 lower with standard sear and I want a dedicated .22LR upper that will work in full auto. What works and what is the best? I see that CMMG offers various models and I see an item on their site that is a sear trip adapter. Does that work on all cmmg .22 uppers, or only certain models?

I would prefer a short barrel: 8-12", and I want something that is well built. I will be using a silencerco sparrow, if that matters.

So, what works with FA and what is the best? Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 6:10:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RodMI] [#1]
Nordic Midway has a 9.25 barreled one instock. Check on the full auto part but I don't believe they run full auto. According to the instructions on there web sight they are not compatible with M16 components.

Right to Bear Arms has CMMG cloans in stock. I think you can get a kit for a sear trip on those.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RodMI:
Right to Bear Arms has CMMG cloans in stock. I think you can get a kit for a sear trip on those.
View Quote

RTB sells a variety of 22LR conversion parts so they're a good place to start.
I have one of their barrels and bolt groups but haven't been able to get it to function with my DIAS, not knocking RTB as it's probably a timing issue with my gun not their parts.

My other gun is a converted SP1 and I have two large hole uppers dedicated to 22LR use both sans a gas tube. They use a Ciener kit with a chamber adapter and a JAC sear trip but no ABW instead I've machined the bolt for the ball detent. This setup runs very well and seems happy with JAC or CMMG mags, the cyclic rate is crazy fast and fun.

Let's face it for most of us shooting full auto 22LR is just blasting and if we can shoot minute of pumpkin at 50 yards we're happy. Barrels with the correct 22LR bore size and twist rate are nice and at some point I'll work out the bugs with my RTB setup but at the end of the day who's shooting for groups with their M16.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, I've had reliability issues with the CMMG anti-bounce weight (ABW).  The ABW sold by J.A. Ciener (to the original Atchisson - now expired patent -  design) has worked well for several upper configurations and with a variety of ammo.  When the Ciener ABW price went up, I began making my own 'Do It Yourself' ABWs to the Atchisson pattern at a much lower cost to me.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments.  Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, the CMMG upper with their trip kit & anti-bounce weight worked 100% for me...
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mattnh:
FWIW, the CMMG upper with their trip kit & anti-bounce weight worked 100% for me...
View Quote

This was what I was thinking, just needed to know what all I needed. I will order all three items.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

FWIW, the upper configuration that exhibits occasional bolt bounce with the (approx. 3/4 oz.) CMMG anti-bounce weight, also consistently yields the highest rate of fire for any given ammo.  The configuration is a generic AR upper receiver with CMMG 9 in. .22LR barrel (lower chamber lip throated for improved feeding) and a CMMG .22LR collar/bolt-recoil assembly/frame (with collar feed ramp polished and inner frame edges smoothed and polished).  Only lube is a drop of oil at the extractor pivot point.
No problems with CMMG sear trips - no breakage of any that I've used.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 8:12:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nhill] [#7]
View Quote

Small sample size for me, but knock on wood, same.  

Ran 500 rounds though my upper on RR Colt today.

RTB 9/22 receiver, RTB 4.5” dedicated barrel, CCMG stainless bolt and barrel collar, CCMG sear trip and anti-bounce weight, 7” BCM hand guard and a Rex MG22 suppressor.  

Only 2 or 3 jams, otherwise tip top.  Exceeded my expectations.  Crazy fast ROF, such a fun time.  Honestly, way more fun that shooting 556.  Perfect for kids.  Will see how happy I am when I clean it tomorrow lol.  

I may end up ordering a 9” barrel.  4” is short as heck under the hand guard and my Mask barley clears it.  MG22 fully assembled clears it better.  9” may not need full time suppressor.  I prefer suppressors on 22’s b/c its cool lol, but also seems to make them function more reliably.  

Only other thing is to order more mags lol.  They go fast
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
CMMG dedicated kit, bore buddy bolt weight with all the tungsten in it, 4" Beyer barrel, suppressor, G SSF trigger.

100% reliable.   Had to notch out the weight kit to clear the hammer spur, and that is a known issue that I learned here.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#9]
CMMG! I have a 16” and 4.5”. Both run great. The 4.5” with a Dead Air Mask runs 100% with CCI Standard Velocity!
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Cmmg dedicated upper is the way to go in my opinion
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

This is the set up I have in my Colt M-16A1 works 100% with most .22lr ammo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:48:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lightguy] [#12]
I used to kick myself in the ass for skipping all the American 180 deals lost in the past.
No more.
CMMG dedicated upper with the weight and trip run flawlessly.
I use the black dog 50 round drums.
Also flawless.
BTW I bought the 16" kit so compatible with semi rifle lowers too.

I WOULD like to increase recoil and noise if possible to more accurately simulate 5.56 but probably a dream.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know where you can order a CMMG auto sear kit these days? Looks like all the usual places are out of stock.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Taggage for interest
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Help a brother out. I want a dedicated 22lr upper that looks like an M4 for my Colt 614. Does anyone make one that runs like a top?  I missed out on the Kuehl uppers. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AJSully421:
I have a M16 lower with standard sear and I want a dedicated .22LR upper that will work in full auto. What works and what is the best? I see that CMMG offers various models and I see an item on their site that is a sear trip adapter. Does that work on all cmmg .22 uppers, or only certain models?

I would prefer a short barrel: 8-12", and I want something that is well built. I will be using a silencerco sparrow, if that matters.

So, what works with FA and what is the best? Thanks!
View Quote
See if you can locate an early 1980s Atchisson MK2 .22 rimfire kit in the brown plastic box.30 rnd mag works fine in my M-16A1 CCI minimags recommened.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]
In case anyone is looking for it, Optics Planet has the sear kit shown as no longer backordered and available to ship within 1 month.

I tried my 9" cmmg 22lr upper on my SBR (still waiting for m16) and it works flawlessly with high velocity ammo like Remington Golden Bullets. When I try to run it with standard velocity or subsonic, it still fires without a hiccup and feeds the next round, but it doesn't reset the trigger. Is this a common issue and something I have to look into solving now somehow or may it not show up on a different lower like with the m16?
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I have never been able to get subs to cycle.  Not in semi or auto. Standard velocity? Thousands of full auto rounds.  My go to for the cmmg.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#19]
CCI Standard is my go to, 1070FPS is still subsonic out of my 4.5" barrel with suppressor. Anything much slower will not cycle, but are great for bolt guns
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top