Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2020 10:43:47 PM EDT
I’d like to get one since I have some ammo Sitting around and don’t shoot any of it.  
I should let you know, I already have a Henry in 44 mag, but it’s so pretty, I hate to use it.  Lol, it’s 4 or 5 years old and never fired.  This new rifle I want to get will be for hunting, plinking, etc.   what’s out there?   What’s good?  I’d prefer something pre-owned
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The newer marlins (I think 2017 and up) are pretty good for the money. I’ve had a 357 and 44 and both were bought used and good to go. These have the QR code on the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Was gonna suggest a Browning B-92, but if you think a Henry is too pretty to shoot well then...

Link Posted: 8/28/2020 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Henry Big boy X (side gate).

Attachment Attached File

I’ve owned just about every make of levers and Henry’s are by far the smoothest lever actions I’ve owned.

If you want to go more inexpensive then Rossi R92 aren’t to bad.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#4]
The big difference is Henrys likely won't have a side loading gate and a win92 copy (Rossi, etc) doesn't let you mount anything on top of the receiver.  
If you think you ever might want to thread the barrel, some are significantly easier to thread than others.  
Henrys are heaviest, marlins next, and Rossis are by far the lightest.  

Otherwise they all work fine, pick what you want and/or can get a good deal on.  
I have a marlin 44 for sale in the EE, you should definitely buy mine!  

Link Posted: 8/28/2020 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was gonna suggest a Browning B-92, but if you think a Henry is too pretty to shoot well then...

View Quote

Honestly, for a general purpose rifle, I can’t see myself hunting with a shiny brass receiver   And, scratching the brass would bother me.  I’m a little OCD with stuff
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Rossi for the win to solve your situation.  Henry's are also heavy.  My 20" 45LC Rossi weighs in at 6.5 lbs
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I’d go Henry X.  Such a great gun!
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Mines a Winchester 94 top eject.  Recoil is that bad in the .44 magnum although I've not fired anything super hot out of it.  

They are extremely hard to find but if you come across one they are very lightweight and and as handy as a shirt on a pocket.  In addition, being a made in USA Winchester, it'll only ever get more valuable.  Assuming you take care of it of course.  That said, mine has a lot of sentimental value so it spends it's time in the safe with my pretty Henry in .45 Colt.

I've been hoping Henry would release their All Weather Big Boy with a side gate.  If they do that I'll be getting one in .44 mag and maybe .45 Colt.  I absolutely love my Henry Big Boy with the brass alloy frame but, as the OP mentioned, it's too pretty to do hard work. In addition, that big octagonal barrel, while beautiful, is a heavy beast and not something I want to carry around the woods
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mines a Winchester 94 top eject.  Recoil is that bad in the .44 magnum although I've not fired anything super hot out of it.  

They are extremely hard to find but if you come across one they are very lightweight and and as handy as a shirt on a pocket.  In addition, being a made in USA Winchester, it'll only ever get more valuable.  Assuming you take care of it of course.  That said, mine has a lot of sentimental value so it spends it's time in the safe with my pretty Henry in .45 Colt.

I've been hoping Henry would release their All Weather Big Boy with a side gate.  If they do that I'll be getting one in .44 mag and maybe .45 Colt.  I absolutely love my Henry Big Boy with the brass alloy frame but, as the OP mentioned, it's too pretty to do hard work. In addition, that big octagonal barrel, while beautiful, is a heavy beast and not something I want to carry around the woods
View Quote

Yes, after research, that’s my first pick but I can’t find one.  Second is the marlin 1894.  I’ll probably end up with the marlin
Is your Winchester a pre 64?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
No, the first 94's in .44 mag were made in the mid to late 1960's.  Mine was made in the late 60's if I remember correctly.  These "first gen" .44 mags are the best of the bunch in my opinion.  They are top eject and have no safeties.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ten years ago at a gun show I had my hands on a like-new B92 .44 Magnum. Price was a firm $600 and at the time I thought it was too much. I have regretted not buying that rifle ever since.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The new (Japan made) Winchester rifles are phenomenal shooters. I’ve had 2 and couldn’t afford to turn down the money when my buddies found out how great they were. I’ve replaced them with a Henry carbine and while it’s great, I would vote Winchester
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Ruger 96/44

Link Posted: 8/31/2020 1:01:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

My B92 44 is pretty nice, but not too pretty to shoot.  The old feller I bought from kept it hanging over the door in his Cabin in Alaska, at least that’s what he told me.

I also have a B92 357, but it’s not as pretty.

I have a Rossi 92, stainless trapper in 44 magnum.  It’s been slicked up and the safety removed by Steve Young.  It’s more accurate than the Browning any day of the week.

Link Posted: 8/31/2020 1:07:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 3:53:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Get a Winchester 1892 or clone , it’s a really strong action and can feed the longest 44 mags available . I had a stainless marlin that had issues cycling buffalo bore 44 mag before it had some work done to it . My brother has it now and is a great gun but I prefer the Winchester .
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Beware the Browning M92. Mine refuses to group with heavier than 180gr. jacketed or cast. A beautiful rifle however. Shoots great with 180's.Photo is at 100 yards with my 180 gr. handloads.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19411/gong_44_JPG-1570926.jpg
View Quote

My B92 is the same.  I'm considering having it rebarrelled with a barrel that meets SAAMI specs for a 44 Mag revolver.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I like the Henry models with or without  the loading gate,as loading is quicker/easier and changing out the springs is much easier. The downside is possibly bending the tube.

I looked at the Rossi R92 Triple Black series and they look really nice. They have a rail already on it, larger loop with braid and are all blacked out. I am not sure if they are out yet or not. I love my stainless Rossi. It is a fine shooter and accurate.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Beware the Browning M92. Mine refuses to group with heavier than 180gr. jacketed or cast. A beautiful rifle however. Shoots great with 180's.Photo is at 100 yards with my 180 gr. handloads.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19411/gong_44_JPG-1570926.jpg
View Quote

Well that stinks! I haven't searched for a B-92 since that gun show ten years ago, but right after I passed up the B-92 I walked out with a like new Miroku produced Winchester 92 in .45 Colt. It has accuracy issues of its own. I shouldn't say accuracy, it's where the groups are going. It shoots EXTREMELY low. I've got the sights adjusted all the way up and it still shoots low.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The new (Japan made) Winchester rifles are phenomenal shooters. I’ve had 2 and couldn’t afford to turn down the money when my buddies found out how great they were. I’ve replaced them with a Henry carbine and while it’s great, I would vote Winchester
View Quote

Yes, I secretly lust in my heart for those Japanese made winchesters. They have the tang safety And price tag which I don’t care for but the quality is superb
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]
No problem with my rossi i picked up last year.

Was expecting it to need some work but its been solid and smooth right out the box.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ten years ago at a gun show I had my hands on a like-new B92 .44 Magnum. Price was a firm $600 and at the time I thought it was too much. I have regretted not buying that rifle ever since.
View Quote
They sell for $1500 + now. I have a .44 and a .357 LNIB.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Winchester Trapper 94ae and I love that thing.
I also have Rossi a 92 Henry’s and Marlins.

The Winchester’s just feel right
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you tried 200 grain bullets?  I bought a couple hundred Speer 200s to try in my B92.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:30:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Modern Henrys are made to be shot.  They will never have collectors value.  OP's premise is off to me.  Just shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#30]

I really want one of those.
Quoted:
Modern Henrys are made to be shot.  They will never have collectors value.  OP's premise is off to me.  Just shoot it.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'd like to get one since I have some ammo Sitting around and don't shoot any of it.  
I should let you know, I already have a Henry in 44 mag, but it's so pretty, I hate to use it.  Lol, it's 4 or 5 years old and never fired.  This new rifle I want to get will be for hunting, plinking, etc.   what's out there?   What's good?  I'd prefer something pre-owned
View Quote
Maybe shoot it a few times and decide if you really want to never use what you already own (which is a metal alloy receiver made to be shot), decide if you want something different, and decide if you want to get rid of the one you have never used to finance one you will use to help offset the cost?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Please let me know who can do this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My B92 is the same.  I'm considering having it rebarrelled with a barrel that meets SAAMI specs for a 44 Mag revolver.

Please let me know who can do this.

Bobby Tyler probably can
Mic McPherson can

Probably lots of others
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Honestly, for a general purpose rifle, I can’t see myself hunting with a shiny brass receiver   And, scratching the brass would bother me.  I’m a little OCD with stuff
View Quote

Camo wrap that baby!
Scratches earned in a hard hunt or any field use aren't scratches, they are memories. With a story to go with it.
Try to shoot the barrel out of it, it's not an heirloom it's a modern made working rifle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:34:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are definitely made to be shot and, no, they won't have any collector value but keeping a beautiful rifle looking nice is a legitimate reason for buying another one that can be used in enviroments that may rough it up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top