Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2020 8:37:38 PM EDT
I have a super bare bone carrier and steel level 3 plates but I have some level 4 ceramic plates on the way (LAPG?  I don't remember the exact brand, I bought them after someone here suggested them and the price was decent)

I was initially going to just put the new plates in the old carrier but I'd like to get something USA made plus that'll give me a spare set for whoever/whatever; maybe keep one setup in the truck.

I'm not a tactical bro and don't pretend to be so I don't need all the do-dads and fancy stuff; just a rugged and lightweight carrier to stick a 3 mag pouch on the front and maybe a TQ.

I've been digging through the ARFC and the web and the options and configurations are daunting.

Requirements:
USA made
Lighter is better
$200ish if that's possible.

I've seen carriers from $100 to $400+ and I can't make heads or tails of what I want.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a super bare bone carrier and steel level 3 plates but I have some level 4 ceramic plates on the way (LAPG?  I don't remember the exact brand, I bought them after someone here suggested them and the price was decent)

I was initially going to just put the new plates in the old carrier but I'd like to get something USA made plus that'll give me a spare set for whoever/whatever; maybe keep one setup in the truck.

I'm not a tactical bro and don't pretend to be so I don't need all the do-dads and fancy stuff; just a rugged and lightweight carrier to stick a 3 mag pouch on the front and maybe a TQ.

I've been digging through the ARFC and the web and the options and configurations are daunting.

Requirements:
USA made
Lighter is better
$200ish if that's possible.

I've seen carriers from $100 to $400+ and I can't make heads or tails of what I want.  Any help would be appreciated.
View Quote
Velocity Systems LEPC - Might still have 20% off with "THANKS20". Slick front SwiftClip compatible carrier, can put a placard or chest rig on the front and mount a TQ with an elastic holder.
Ferro Slickster/Spiritus Systems LV119 - Basically the same thing but more popular on the internet with the social media set. Good luck finding the components in stock.
First Spear STT - Uses First Spear's popular tubes quick don/doff system. Has MOLLE for mounting pouches.
Crye JPC 1.0 - Pretty much the standard for minimalist carriers. 3 bungee mag pouches built in with MOLLE on the front and on the skeletal cummerbund
Velocity Systems LWPC - Another slick front SwiftClip carrier.
Velocity Systems APC - Full modular MOLLE carrier that still has SwiftClip as an option.

All of these are relatively light and stripped down, some more than others. All from well-regarded American manufacturers who stand by their products. The JPC 2.0 is going to be slightly slicker and more modular than the 1.0 but it'll cost more to get the out-of-the-box capability if that's something you want. I'm partial to the Velocity stuff, but you can't go wrong with any of these.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The lbt 6093 g3 would fit your price and spec with their black friday deal but only black and khaki are left.

The crye jpc would also work at that price point.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the suggestions.  I like a few of those.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the suggestions.

I found this.  Meh?

https://lapolicegear.com/tg-us1020-cyclone-carrier.html

Said it's made in USA, can anyone confirm?

I know a lot of Condor stuff is Chinese.
View Quote
Spend $50 and get something miles better.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Spend $50 and get something miles better.
View Quote

Just saw some reviews, Ill pass..
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#6]
My situation is similar to yours. I bought the cheep LAPG level 4 plates but bought a Crye JPC2. I added the mag flap for the front and Im really happy with it. I bought all the Crye items off Ebay. It did cost a bit more but i had the items in a few days instead of months.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 12:41:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty set on the Velocity Systems APC but finding one in stock in my size is the problem I'm running into...Ill keep on digging...

What a rabbit hole.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My situation is similar to yours. I bought the cheep LAPG level 4 plates but bought a Crye JPC2. I added the mag flap for the front and Im really happy with it. I bought all the Crye items off Ebay. It did cost a bit more but i had the items in a few days instead of months.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/366627/D0E47A7F-6B7E-43B1-A46B-CE4E3BF2F158_1_2-1706515.JPG
View Quote

How are the shoulder straps on that?  They look flimsy which has turned me off of that model but I can be swayed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 1:00:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a First Spear STT that I really like. I added shoulder pads and front and back pontoons and it is super comfy with my L210 plates.

Also look at the ESSTAC Daeodon and the Lite ASS for a stripped down option. Both have several cummerbund options and will accept common aftermarket accessories.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How are the shoulder straps on that?  They look flimsy which has turned me off of that model but I can be swayed.
View Quote

Im no expert but they seem fine. I have wore it 5-6 hours at the range and around the house. It hangs on a Tuff Hook and weighs about 18 pounds as is. Im not sure if the material or the stitching/attachment point is the weak spot. It is a vert popular PC and I have not heard many complaints about the straps.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 3:09:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for all the help.

I just went old school.  

You can still buy a Shellback Banshee 1.0  brand new, hits all my requirements(I suppose it's light enough), so I ordered one up.  Availability was good and all the color options were available;  I really didn't want black(If you've ever worn a black shirt in Phoenix it's just too damn hot in the sun) and coyote/multicam looks too "tactical" for me so ranger green is nice and subdued and cool enough during the day.

Thank you guys again.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently purchased the Esstac Deodon with Hesco 4401s, really nice setup eith excellent quality. USA made, armor in stock.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess you already got something , but if anyone else is curious I got a lepc this week from double tap, really nice setup only thing is I wish I had the divider cumberbund but If I do keep it when my esstac ass comes in I might upgrade it to something with tubes.

It is pretty much just a striped down apc , in fact you can order combinations of the apc and lepc from velocity.

For the 145 bucks I paid I'm quite pleased , theres some pics of mine in the pc thread.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#14]
They are hard to get right now, but I love my Ferro Concepts FCPC V5. It’s highly adaptable and scalable. The shoulder straps are perfect with how they articulate and sit on the shoulders with the Ferro strap socks providing the perfect balance of padding and size (i.e. not bulky). The 3” cummerbund is perfect due to its rigid skeleton and elastic ends providing perfect flex when breathing or bending. The 3” cummerbund also holds the plates in place so your rear plate doesn’t drop and front plate doesn’t rise up.

The only negative is that the zip on back panels are proprietary, but the stackable back panels are awesome.

If someone needs a carrier and they’ve got the patience and budget to go FCPC V5 I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They are hard to get right now, but I love my Ferro Concepts FCPC V5. It’s highly adaptable and scalable. The shoulder straps are perfect with how they articulate and sit on the shoulders with the Ferro strap socks providing the perfect balance of padding and size (i.e. not bulky). The 3” cummerbund is perfect due to its rigid skeleton and elastic ends providing perfect flex when breathing or bending. The 3” cummerbund also holds the plates in place so your rear plate doesn’t drop and front plate doesn’t rise up.

The only negative is that the zip on back panels are proprietary, but the stackable back panels are awesome.

If someone needs a carrier and they’ve got the patience and budget to go FCPC V5 I highly recommend it.
View Quote

That's one of the few I would have gone with over the Shellback granted there was availably.  I just had to settle to get things squared away before who knows what's going to happen in the next two months.

Better to have and not need I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

You really ought to have more medical items on there than just a TQ. Bare essentials are a TQ, pair of chest seals, packing gauze, some sort of mini compression dressing, and a nasopharyngeal airway.

Aside from the TQ, these items are small and take up no more combined space than an AR mag. They can easily be stored in a low profile blowout kit pouch.

If you're willing to take up a bit more volume, other handy medical things to have include clothing shears, medical gloves, surgical tape, a larger compression dressing, survival blanket, an additional pack of gauze, eye shields, and a burn dressing.

Stop holes, make holes, plug holes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Beez aptum
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's one of the few I would have gone with over the Shellback granted there was availably.  I just had to settle to get things squared away before who knows what's going to happen in the next two months.

Better to have and not need I suppose.
View Quote

Amen brother, words to live by right now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:10:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm pretty set on the Velocity Systems APC but finding one in stock in my size is the problem I'm running into...Ill keep on digging...

What a rabbit hole.

View Quote

Excellent carrier.  Be sure to get the current version with the lower profile shoulder pads.  The wider earlier ones dig into your neck.  Also, it is not QR with tubes or anything fancy like that.  Basically if you're looking for quality construction over options, it is definitely a good carrier.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I have had these three: LBX armatus, Crye JPC 2.0, and Spritus Lv119.  I still own the 119, and the JPC 2.0  The jpc is much more comfortable for me, and i run in the carriers about 2-3 nights a week.   I only run a little over a mile, but it sucks for me.

I have tried the agilite carriers, and they are pretty comfy as well, although they seem to run big.  

The carriers all fit different, and its really probably going to depend on your body type.  Im 5'9" (when gravity isnt too strong), about 175lbs athletic build with big chest large traps.  I have a few buddies who are taller than me and think the jpc sucks and the spiritus is amazing.  They have the lucas botkin gamer body... LOL. Seriously though, If you could try some on that would be ideal.  

My favorite setup has been the jpc 2.0, with the haley strategic d3crm chest rig.  I usually have a dangler on there as well.  Like i said, i switch out my heavier lvl4 plates (ltc26605s) between the carriers when i run, and the jpc is definiely LESS shitty.

The only one in our group that has gone overseas and actually done shit uses a velocity systems, and he loves it.  Ive never actually tried it on.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have had these three: LBX armatus, Crye JPC 2.0, and Spritus Lv119.  I still own the 119, and the JPC 2.0  The jpc is much more comfortable for me, and i run in the carriers about 2-3 nights a week.   I only run a little over a mile, but it sucks for me.

I have tried the agilite carriers, and they are pretty comfy as well, although they seem to run big.  

The carriers all fit different, and its really probably going to depend on your body type.  Im 5'9" (when gravity isnt too strong), about 175lbs athletic build with big chest large traps.  I have a few buddies who are taller than me and think the jpc sucks and the spiritus is amazing.  They have the lucas botkin gamer body... LOL. Seriously though, If you could try some on that would be ideal.  

My favorite setup has been the jpc 2.0, with the haley strategic d3crm chest rig.  I usually have a dangler on there as well.  Like i said, i switch out my heavier lvl4 plates (ltc26605s) between the carriers when i run, and the jpc is definiely LESS shitty.

The only one in our group that has gone overseas and actually done shit uses a velocity systems, and he loves it.  Ive never actually tried it on.
View Quote

This is good advice.

I'm 6'0 and about 185 with the same type of build-large traps and chest. The LV119 with the molle cummerbund was light-years ahead of the jpc/jpc 2.0 for me comfort wise. Not to say the jpc was bad. One important thing to consider: weight is important BUT a carrier that fits good and DISTRIBUTES the weight well can make heavier things feel lighter. I argue weight distribution is more important than the weight itself after a certain point. YMMV.

***ETA*** My lv119 came alive when I swapped out the shitty spiritus covers for some actual padded shoulder covers. These things matter for long term wear.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

So true, good advice.  

Reminds me of years ago I bought a Combat Shirt and man that thing was not cut for anyone with broad shoulders.  Torso fit fine, but the shoulders were so tight I felt like I was going to rip it Hulk style wearing it.  Live and learn.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Esstac is a company in Stanwood Washington, local made and local employer. I got mine there recently.
esstac.com
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 1:53:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is good advice.

I'm 6'0 and about 185 with the same type of build-large traps and chest. The LV119 with the molle cummerbund was light-years ahead of the jpc/jpc 2.0 for me comfort wise. Not to say the jpc was bad. One important thing to consider: weight is important BUT a carrier that fits good and DISTRIBUTES the weight well can make heavier things feel lighter. I argue weight distribution is more important than the weight itself after a certain point. YMMV.

***ETA*** My lv119 came alive when I swapped out the shitty spiritus covers for some actual padded shoulder covers. These things matter for long term wear.
View Quote

The weight distribution is one of the reasons I like cummerbunds with some kind of rigid skeletal structure. Making those plates sit at the proper height is so important not only for protection but comfort.

Shoulder straps are a balancing act that will be subjective. I don’t like bulky pads, but at the same time I need a little padding. Where the pads connect to the carrier makes a difference to me too. I’m not a fan of the “H” type straps.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The weight distribution is one of the reasons I like cummerbunds with some kind of rigid skeletal structure. Making those plates sit at the proper height is so important not only for protection but comfort.

Shoulder straps are a balancing act that will be subjective. I don’t like bulky pads, but at the same time I need a little padding. Where the pads connect to the carrier makes a difference to me too. I’m not a fan of the “H” type straps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is good advice.

I'm not a fan of bulky pads either. The pads I swapped out for have the same footprint but are a little thicker since they have padding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top