Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2023 1:53:34 PM EDT
Title pretty much says it all.  My wife bought me the Flir for Christmas.  I’d like to try using the PVS-14 and FLIR in a bino set up. I’ve heard your brain basically overlays the thermal and NV images.  Just don’t know how to accomplish this

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know what model FLIR you have, but this article seems like a pretty good run down of how to do it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Title pretty much says it all.  My wife bought me the Flir for Christmas.  I’d like to try using the PVS-14 and FLIR in a bino set up. I’ve heard your brain basically overlays the thermal and NV images.  Just don’t know how to accomplish this

Thanks!
View Quote

A very few have claimed that their nugget can overlay the image, but for most the disparity of depth perception is the biggest limiting factor. Others have said they concentrate on one or the other and some have had limited success with adjusting the brightness to match. If you had a true overlay you'd see an overwhelming amount of users running them vs binos.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotcha.  Thanks for all the help and advice folks
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup just like the 1.93 plus height mounts for LPVO have gone the way of the Doo Doo Bird, so has the idea of bridging a thermal scanner with a PVS14. Work arounds work OK for LARPing, but are far from ideal from being a useful force multiplier.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:.

This is why I recommend only helmet mounting it if you want longer duration scanning because odds are you will be using the Breach individually. Otherwise, using it handheld scanning as needed will yield the same result as rotating the Breach up/down on a bridge but without the extra expense & weight of the bridge & adapter.
View Quote

This ^^^

I’m out at this very moment (checking my ee listing in the deer blind ) using a similar setup for hunting. Every time I use it like this I am reminded about how not amazing it is looking through both at the same time.

Even if you get everything set up correctly and match the images using the thermal’s margin adjustments (very necessary), you are still left with two wildly different images of different colors (even though I’m using white Filmless). In terms of looking through both at the same time, it is not a setup to use in a fast paced environment. You are better served using one at a time as needed.

People that don’t even have/don’t use extensively these setups hyped them up so much that many will be disappointed when they go to start using and expect it to be awesome. It’s useful having both systems on a helmet, but it’s not so awesome trying to use them both at the same time.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/25/2023 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Bummer, been wanting to try this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#11]
You can run the bridge from Mod Armory. I have one. As was stated above, I am not getting complete fusion of the images. But I am not giving up trying.

https://www.modarmory.com/product/dual-band-icd-14-bridge-system-for-flir-breach-and-pvs-14/
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#12]
100% individual brain function for simultaneous overlay - and you won't know beforehand unless you try someone else's stuff (or hold both up to your eyes before buying the bridge). The best way to test, is to find a big window or sliding glass door in your house, and look out of it standing inside - if you see things out in the yard *and* heat sources inside at the same time - congrats (thermal can't see through glass).

Like Munny said, you have zero depth perception though, even if you can merge...and - collimation and exact 1:1 on thermal is probably going to be off a smidge.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The rayvn bridge (rayvngroup.com) works great for me. I’ve tried almost everything on the market and for $375 it can’t be beat. It’s the only bridge that had the IPD adjustment I needed for my huge head. But the whole thermal / NV overlay thing like others have said it’s a personal brain thing. Works great for me though. Lately I’ve been using it more on hikes than my DTNVGs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The rayvn bridge (rayvngroup.com) works great for me. I’ve tried almost everything on the market and for $375 it can’t be beat. It’s the only bridge that had the IPD adjustment I needed for my huge head. But the whole thermal / NV overlay thing like others have said it’s a personal brain thing. Works great for me though. Lately I’ve been using it more on hikes than my DTNVGs.
View Quote

Looks almost identical to others. Tell me, which eye do you run each device on, and are you able to mount the Thermal over your Left eye?
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Looks almost identical to others. Tell me, which eye do you run each device on, and are you able to mount the Thermal over your Left eye?
View Quote

I run the 14 on my right eye and the breach on my left eye. The key for me was the rail for IPD adjustment. I could get them to overlay perfectly when I couldn’t with other bridges. I don’t run both for long periods cause that gets old, so I will switch between them by articulating one up if I’m out for long periods. Also a big trick for my eyes was adjusting the brightness on the breach to match the gain/brightness on the 14. If one is much brighter than the other it will mess with your eye dominance, at least for me. Everyone is different.

I’m going to give this a couple more months and if I love it as much as I have been I’ll upgrade thermals to the rh25.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I run the 14 on my right eye and the breach on my left eye. The key for me was the rail for IPD adjustment. I could get them to overlay perfectly when I couldn’t with other bridges. I don’t run both for long periods cause that gets old, so I will switch between them by articulating one up if I’m out for long periods. Also a big trick for my eyes was adjusting the brightness on the breach to match the gain/brightness on the 14. If one is much brighter than the other it will mess with your eye dominance, at least for me. Everyone is different.

I’m going to give this a couple more months and if I love it as much as I have been I’ll upgrade thermals to the rh25.
View Quote

Heads up on that plan, the RH25 isn't conducive to mounting on the left eye because iRay for some stupid reason put the battery compartment on the right side of the monocular (so it'd get in the way and interfere with the PVS14 if you mount it the way you do now).
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Heads up on that plan, the RH25 isn't conducive to mounting on the left eye because iRay for some stupid reason put the battery compartment on the right side of the monocular (so it'd get in the way and interfere with the PVS14 if you mount it the way you do now).
View Quote

Heads up. There are ways to overcome this. Check out the RH25 thread to see them. With the accessories I have this can be accomplished.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Heads up. There are ways to overcome this. Check out the RH25 thread to see them. With the accessories I have this can be accomplished.
View Quote

I didn't say it was impossible, but it definitely wouldn't work for everybody. Not everyone has specifically a KVC bridge nor that wide of an IPD spacing that is required for the RH25 to be mounted over the left eye.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I didn't say it was impossible, but it definitely wouldn't work for everybody. Not everyone has specifically a KVC bridge nor that wide of an IPD spacing that is required for the RH25 to be mounted over the left eye.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the IPD even at the most narrow settings is prohibitive for many people. Hence why I didn’t even bother with the KVC bridge (my IPD is rather narrow)
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#20]
If you have been trained to view aerial photo/sat image pairs in 3D (in the field and without an optical device) - you have no problem making the thermal - analogue pairing work.  Most but not all people can do it, some can do it better than others.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 1:52:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the heads up on the rh25 guys, I appreciate it. I’ll reach out to the rayvn guys to see what they have going for it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 1:53:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you have been trained to view aerial photo/sat image pairs in 3D (in the field and without an optical device) - you have no problem making the thermal - analogue pairing work.  Most but not all people can do it, some can do it better than others.
View Quote

100%
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I started out just holding up the breach to my left eye an -14 to my right, dominant eye. I could kind of get an overlay so the concept seemed promising enough to invest in a KAC bridge mount and the required adapters... Could not really get it to work in practice. I ended up getting a COTI
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Was on the fence for a Mod Armory. After reading this I pulled the trigger on the Raven. Haven’t really put it through it paces but around the house it seems to be perfect. Couldn’t find much on them on the interwebs or you tube so just went for it. They almost seem like a start up cause this looks like their only product, other than a pretty cool patch. Cool thing bout it is that they made it specifically to bridge the Breach and 14 so the geometry is spot on. The IPD adjustment is great, I didn’t realize how important that would be. A little adjustment goes a long way to get the images overlapping. They shipped it out QUICK and at $375 it’s even less expensive than the noise fighters that was the other bridge I was looking at. Thanks for the heads up to the guy who posted it.YMMV but I’m happy w it.
Eman out
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:36:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Like others have said, it’s up to your brain. But I think even under perfect circumstances it’s not going to be….perfect. Lol

My brain is very good at this. I can absolutely see both images at the same time. I’ve practiced and I can fuse both, or I can choose to use one over the other depending on which one I want to use.

The problem is, even with this, the images don’t exactly line up. They are a tad off. Almost like ghosting on a monitor. I cash deal with it, but like someone mentioned, it’s just not going to be true fusion.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 2:47:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Was on the fence for a Mod Armory. After reading this I pulled the trigger on the Raven. Haven’t really put it through it paces but around the house it seems to be perfect. Couldn’t find much on them on the interwebs or you tube so just went for it. They almost seem like a start up cause this looks like their only product, other than a pretty cool patch. Cool thing bout it is that they made it specifically to bridge the Breach and 14 so the geometry is spot on. The IPD adjustment is great, I didn’t realize how important that would be. A little adjustment goes a long way to get the images overlapping. They shipped it out QUICK and at $375 it’s even less expensive than the noise fighters that was the other bridge I was looking at. Thanks for the heads up to the guy who posted it.YMMV but I’m happy w it.
Eman out
View Quote

Glad you like it. I love mine! IPD adjustment is king. My buddy just got one and we are hiking this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Like others have said, it’s up to your brain. But I think even under perfect circumstances it’s not going to be….perfect. Lol

My brain is very good at this. I can absolutely see both images at the same time. I’ve practiced and I can fuse both, or I can choose to use one over the other depending on which one I want to use.

The problem is, even with this, the images don’t exactly line up. They are a tad off. Almost like ghosting on a monitor. I cash deal with it, but like someone mentioned, it’s just not going to be true fusion.
View Quote

Agree.

For casual scanning it functions pretty well, but the lag on the thermal is very noticeable when “doing stuff”.

I still use both when larping the back 40 every night, but pocket the breach often in favor of another -14 when out chasing critters.

P
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top