Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2022 9:53:17 AM EDT
I'm looking for 1 or 2 1903 C stocks  but have been having a bear of a time finding them.  Minelli IIRC was the preferred vendor as Boyds had some fitment issues, but both are OOS everywhere I have looked.  I'm not opposed to getting a GI stock if the price is right.

I may order another scant stock if all else fails, but I think that might look "wrong" on an 1903A1 build.  I know they're acceptable and period correct for some wartime 03A4s, and I'll use them for my 03A4gery builds if nothing else.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#1]
A scant stock will not work for an 03A1.  It has to be a C stock to be an A1.  

I have an 03 wearing an S stock with no grooves that should be an A1 due to manufacture date but same as you I've no luck finding one (original).  I have an 03A3 with a C stock but it is a WWII C stock and not quite the same to swap to my A1.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A scant stock will not work for an 03A1.  It has to be a C stock to be an A1.  

I have an 03 wearing an S stock with no grooves that should be an A1 due to manufacture date but same as you I've no luck finding one (original).  I have an 03A3 with a C stock but it is a WWII C stock and not quite the same to swap to my A1.
View Quote
Yeah I know it's not "correct" but it's sure a heck of a lot better than a S stock..... or the sporter stock the rifle currently is sitting in .

No matter what I do that gun will never be correct as it will always be a parts gun rescued from a Santa Fe Arms sporter conversion.  Thankfully not D&T'd but the idea to just say f-it and make it a 03A1 is highly appealing since no matter what it's just gonna be a parts gun with all GI parts.  I didn't pay much attention, or put any effort into, finding only parts that would be period correct for the SN range. Not sure that it would be worth my effort to rebuild it as a "correct" gun considering it was reblued by Santa Fe back in the 50s. or 60s
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
PM sent
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#4]
My 1921 A1 came to me sporterized from a pawn shop.  Luckily there was a hardware store in town that had an original S stock with no grooves for $75.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
PM sent
View Quote
@Lemmonhead

Thanks for your heads up.  Ordered 2 and got 1 very nicely figured one and 1 "average" one.  Can't wait to get em built
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@Lemmonhead

Thanks for your heads up.  Ordered 2 and got 1 very nicely figured one and 1 "average" one.  Can't wait to get em built
View Quote

Pics when you're done!
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I’d say about 80% of the stocks need only minor fitting, they all need relief in the tang area, the cross bolts are almost always put in backwards and need to be epoxied and tightened.  Some of the stocks will have a little warpage in the front.  I have used over 20 of their stocks and 3 of them needed more fitting.  

Here are some recent builds using the Minelli stocks.  Some will have a very nice grain with character and others will be fairly plain.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top