Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2021 3:51:30 PM EDT
I lose knives from time to time (that’s why: less than $100).

Here is my current EDC:

Attachment Attached File

SOG Flash Tanto, assisted-opening with a 3.5” blade.

What I am looking for:

- heavier body (the Flash Tanto is polymer; I would prefer metal or ruber-covered metal)

- a 4” or slightly longer blade

- also assisted opening, with a blackened Tanto style blade.

The Flash Tanto also has a “safety” to prevent opening; I do not like that feature.

Can anyone suggest an assisted opening folder with these features for a decent price?  (I think the Flash Tanto was around $40 to 50 a few years back).

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#1]
tagged, I like knives under a hundo also...  

I lose'em too often to go much higher than that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I edc a ZT 0450 and like it quite a bit for random stuff (cutting open boxes and packaging, mostly). I do wish the flipper mechanism wasn't so sensitive to pressure on the body - literally any pressure on the lock bar will prevent it from opening...but this isn't a weapon for me, so rapid deployment isn't of primary importance.

Can find em used for a little over $100 and they hold up well and look great. Important caveat: I won't pretend to be a big knife guy and don't have huge experience with 50 different folding blades.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like you're looking for a Kershaw Blur.  Aluminum body with rubber inserts, assisted opening, serrated tanto blade.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It sounds like you're looking for a Kershaw Blur.  Aluminum body with rubber inserts, assisted opening, serrated tanto blade.

View Quote

Thanks Wisenhyzer!

The Blur Tanto is priced right ($75) has the blade and assisted opening, but it’s a 3.5” (and I’d prefer a 4”).  The Kerahaw Brawler has the look I’d like:

https://knifeinformer.com/kershaw-knives/

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I edc a ZT 0450 and like it quite a bit for random stuff (cutting open boxes and packaging, mostly). I do wish the flipper mechanism wasn't so sensitive to pressure on the body - literally any pressure on the lock bar will prevent it from opening...but this isn't a weapon for me, so rapid deployment isn't of primary importance.

Can find em used for a little over $100 and they hold up well and look great. Important caveat: I won't pretend to be a big knife guy and don't have huge experience with 50 different folding blades.
View Quote

Thanks 135!

The Zero Tolerance is indeed a nice knife!

Will keep it in mind.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#6]
everything you asked for except assisted.
https://www.crkt.com/shop/everyday-carry-knives/m16-04ks.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks Wisenhyzer!

The Blur Tanto is priced right ($75) has the blade and assisted opening, but it’s a 3.5” (and I’d prefer a 4”).  The Kerahaw Brawler has the look I’d like:

https://knifeinformer.com/kershaw-knives/

https://knifeinformer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/EDC-Infographic-Kershaw-v1.1.jpg
View Quote

I have the Blur and the Brawler. The Blur is hands down the better knife. In fact, it’s my favorite folder I own.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:35:53 AM EDT
[#8]
If they still make it the cold steel recon 1 is the toughest knife i have owned. Have kershaw and sog but the recon has been my edc since i got it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#9]
While they are not popular here, I have found the Benchmade mini griptillian with a partially serrated blade perfect for everyday carry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have the Blur and the Brawler. The Blur is hands down the better knife. In fact, it’s my favorite folder I own.
View Quote

Brawler is my EDC.  I Iike it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Blur x87

Eta. Been daily carrying for ~4years. Not only carry but use daily. Hammered it through 26awg steel roofing a dozen times last week. After 4yrs of beating, prying and cutting cardboard it's almost time to pull out the back up and send back to Kershaw for a free refurb.

two is one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks 135!

https://www.knivesplus.com/media/ZT-0450.jpg

Will keep it in mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks 135!

https://www.knivesplus.com/media/ZT-0450.jpg

Will keep it in mind.
@135Patriots, your issue with the locking bar is an easy fix, the issue is the clip has likely moved and is likely sitting directly on top of the lock.  Loosen the two clip screws and rotate over the frame a touch as seen in the picture above and it will resolve your problem.  Very nice knife I've carried a carbon one for the better part of a couple years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@135Patriots, your issue with the locking bar is an easy fix, the issue is the clip has likely moved and is likely sitting directly on top of the lock.  Loosen the two clip screws and rotate over the frame a touch as seen in the picture above and it will resolve your problem.  Very nice knife I've carried a carbon one for the better part of a couple years.
View Quote
You are a prince among men sir - that worked perfectly and only required a bit of pressure to move the clip toward the body/away from the lock bar. The blade closes more easily as well. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You are a prince among men sir - that worked perfectly and only required a bit of pressure to move the clip toward the body/away from the lock bar. The blade closes more easily as well. Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enjoy, I hope I die before I lose mine, lol.  Dominion, it's a nice knife but it isn't something I'd use for hard use as it may be a bit thin in the hand.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top