Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2019 12:52:57 PM EDT
We were gifted this rifle from an in law but the details of it have been lost. I couldn’t find any brand/serial numbers but a couple of proof marks. It’s an old Leopold 2-7 scope that still seems to work but I’m curious about the rifle. Wondering if I can find ammo, if someone knows what it takes, and shoot it.

It’s a heavy beast but everything seems to function/move as it should. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Sporterized 1917 Enfield, or it's sporter manufactured equivalent, although I can't remember the designation of the civilian version.  It is an extremely strong action, and in the military rifles are either in 303 British, or 30-06 cartridge.  The 1917 was originally made for the British in 303, but when WWI happened, the US needed rifles, so they made them in 30-06.  The 30-06 rifles usually hold 6 or 7 rounds in the magazine, I can't remember exactly how many because it has been years since I shot one.  Very nice rifle action.

(Edited to correct WWII to WWI,,,fat finger syndrome put in an extra I.). Did I win one, or two internets?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sporterized 1917 Enfield, or it's sporter manufactured equivalent, although I can't remember the designation of the civilian version.  It is an extremely strong action, and in the military rifles are either in 303 British, or 30-06 cartridge.  The 1917 was originally made for the British in 303, but when WWI happened, the US needed rifles, so they made them in 30-06.  The 30-06 rifles usually hold 6 or 7 rounds in the magazine, I can't remember exactly how many because it has been years since I shot one.  Very nice rifle action.

(Edited to correct WWII to WWI,,,fat finger syndrome put in an extra I.). Did I win one, or two internets?
View Quote
@Genin thanks! how do I figure out if it's a 303 or 30-06? I would like to shoot it if I can. It feels sturdy and substantial, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@Genin thanks! how do I figure out if it's a 303 or 30-06? I would like to shoot it if I can. It feels sturdy and substantial, that's for sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can start by seeing what chambers in it (use spent casings for safety).  Next see what bullet comes close to fitting the muzzle.

But to really know, you might have to do a chamber cast.

If it is a custom built 1917 action, there are dozens of calibers it could be.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
What Dominion said is true,...because of the great strength and Mauser style action of the 1917 action, those actions are often used in many African, or high powered hunting rifles.  Although a 303, or a 30-06 case may fit, those cases may fit because the rifle is chambered for a larger cartridge than you are putting into the breech.  Look at the barrel, and if nothing is on the barrel, remove the action from the stock to see if the rifle was ever converted, and the gunsmith stamped any cartridge designation on the barrel somewhere.  If not, the safest thing is to do a cerosafe casting of the chamber, and that will tell you the cartridge for which the rifle is chambered.

Cerosafe casting isn't difficult, and is something you can do yourself.

(edited to correct my grammar)
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What Dominion said is true,...because of the great strength and Mauser style action of the 1917 action, those actions are often used in many African, or high powered hunting rifles.  Although a 303, or a 30-06 case may fit, those cases may fit because the rifle is chambered for a larger cartridge than you are putting into the breech.  Look at the barrel, and if nothing is on the barrel, remove the action from the stock to see if the rifle was ever converted, and the gunsmith stamped any cartridge designation on the barrel somewhere.  If not, the safest thing is to do a cerosafe casting of the chamber, and that will tell you the cartridge for which the rifle is chambered.

Cerosafe casting isn't difficult, and is something you can do yourself.

(edited to correct my grammar)
View Quote
hmm, that sounds like something I've never done and should learn how to do! is there more to it than order and pour? I can get measurements and stuff posted here if that would help everyone figure it out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#6]
There really isn't a lot more to it than lube the bore so the cerosafe will come out more easily, seal off the breech, then pour in the cerosafe.  Allow it to harden, then use a rod (welders brazing rod works GREAT) to tap out the plug.  Then measure the casting to determine the cartridge.

As a local gunsmith what they would charge.  It might be cheaper to have them do it than to mess with doing it yourself, simply because the gunsmith might already have all the stuff to do the work, and you would have to buy it and pay shipping...  For $50-75 I would have a gunsmith do it, just to avoid the bother.  However, I like doing stuff like that and my curiosity would have me doing it myself.

I don't know if experimenting with other types of casting or bedding compounds (like Marine-tex) would be a good idea because it might be a bitch to get some stuff out, and could wreck the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#7]
looks like it is till the original barrel. Are there any markings just behind the front sight base?

ETA also, what markings can you see on the front receiver ring?

If it has a date and pisspot its likely its likely to be the original 30-06 unless somebody did some funky crap to it. If you are going to check headspace, be sure and read up on it as it is done in a diffrent manner with this action.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
looks like it is till the original barrel. Are there any markings just behind the front sight base?

If it has a date and pisspot its likely its likely to be the original 30-06 unless somebody did some funky crap to it. If you are going to check headspace, be sure and read up on it as it is done in a diffrent manner with this action.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56078/M1917BarrelMarkings_zps801fa883_jpg-793945.JPG
View Quote
@NoMoAMMO I'm not sure if there are markings, but you guys inspired me to take it apart tomorrow (as far as I can) and look for proof marks, caliber stuff, etc. I will take pics as best I can and report back here. deal?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@NoMoAMMO I'm not sure if there are markings, but you guys inspired me to take it apart tomorrow (as far as I can) and look for proof marks, caliber stuff, etc. I will take pics as best I can and report back here. deal?
View Quote
Looking forward to it
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Without any markings, I would doubt it's a Remington Model 30. I think the majority of them had checkered stocks and a bolt across the front of the receiver anyway. But it does look like a sporter 1917.

Interesting side note (if I'm not mistaken) although the 1903 was our official army issue rifle for WWI, more 1917s were actually made and used. I only learned that like 3 months ago.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#11]
NoMommo is correct.  The barrel markings indicate it is a US model, and those are in 30-06.  Unless someone did something funky with the action, it will be 30-08.  The date 8-18 on the rifle would indicate it's barrel was installed on the rifle in August 1918.  I'm betting 95% that it is 30-06, but someone could have tried making it into a 30-06 improved chamber, or some other cartridge, so with a gun I'm not sure of, I don't take anything for granted lest I ruin myself or the rifle.  I would still get the chamber checked, and if possible have the throat and muzzle wear checked.

FWIW, it is a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looking forward to it
View Quote
@NoMoAMMO as promised. I’ll edit it text here shortlyAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Well there you have it Remington M1917

Most likely still in 30-06 but never hurts to check to be sure.

ETA thats a cool serial number, too bad its been sporterized but it will make a nice deer rifle!
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56078/M1917BarrelMarkings_zps801fa883_jpg-793945.JPG
View Quote
Quoted:

Looking forward to it
View Quote
I got the scope mount off and found a ton of info under where it was. It's a weird scope mount, rotates in place to I guess align the scope? no idea. It seems as though a rear sight was ground off at some point? the scope mounts are just wedged in there.

my barrel says 7-18 so I guess it's one month older than the one in the picture? That's cool.

one thing that surprised me was the metric shit ton of proof marks all over. I have only seen a gun marked up like this with an old Walther p1. is this the same kind of situation where every mark means something?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep they all have meanings.

Here is a good info sheet from the CMP that shows the ears ground of years and the serial number dates (looks to be Aug 1918) and other stuff.

http://www.odcmp.org/503/rifle.pdf
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I think 99% chance it is 30-06, but I would still check first.   If you can find a fired case, or dummy round you could check it to see how it fits the chamber.  If it fits tightly both end to end as well as side to side, I would try it, but I would recommend someone else get it checked by a gunsmith first.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#17]
As you know now, US Model of 1917 which were made by Remington, Eddystone (subsidy of Remington) and Winchester.  Those three plants also produce the same rifle in .303 British as the Pattern 1914 or just P14. The Brits designed the rifle as the P13 test rifle in .276 but as rifle trails were going on, WWI broke out and Britain needed lots of rifles yesterday so they continued producing the SMLE and contracted the US to produce the modified Mauser 98 action.  After enough rifles were made for the British, the US had just entered the war also and needed rifles.  So the M1917 was adopted.  Did you know there was also a US Rifle Model of 1916?  These were Mosin Nagant 1891 produced in the US but never shipped as the Bolsheviks took power and we armed the US expeditionary "Polar Bear" force with them and they went to the Russia in Sep 1918-Jul 1919!

CD
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You can start by seeing what chambers in it (use spent casings for safety).  Next see what bullet comes close to fitting the muzzle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS!

I bought a sported 1917 a year ago supposedly chambered in .300 H&H Magnum.  It's still wearing its original barrel.  I've glass bedded the action but still need to make a chamber casting to verify the caliber because whoever rechambered it failed to mark the barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top