Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 1:06:32 PM EDT
Looking to add a bump helmet to my gear. What are everyone's thoughts on a molded in shroud vs a bolt on shroud? I'm currently looking at the recently discontinued Ops-Core FAST helmets with the molded in shroud. Running anvis and a battery pack if it matters.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some posts about plastic ones breaking..
I don't recall any about metal ones breaking.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Never liked the molded stuff, sloppy engagement and weak.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:57:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#3]
I am a fan of bolt on shrouds because it allows you to choose from a variety of shroud designs, such as integrated shroud/mount combos like the wilcox G69, and it also allows the choice of shrouds that have superior retention designs integrated into them, such as the opscore bungee shroud (which to me is the gold standard for retention)

Attachment Attached File

Many shrouds have cutouts for DIY bungee retention setups, such as this cadex chip below…
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#4]
A bolt on shroud is easy to replace if something happens or you want to upgrade. If something happens to a molded-in shroud you need a new helmet or maybe break out the belt sander and drill.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:00:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#6]
Never had a problem with OPS CORE bumps with moulded in shrouds.  Used them for many years.  Very light, good in water e.g. vented for kayaking, good in warm climates e.g. vented for airflow.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been using my Legacy FAST Bump with DTNVGs for the past 3 years. I'm not high speed, but it hasn't failed on me. I mainly use it with airsoft and have ran into low hanging netting, tree branches, and vegetation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top