Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2024 11:12:10 PM EDT
I know nothing about helmets other than what I have seen online, from the $80 bump helmets of questionable origin and capability to the Crye helmets of mucho dinero.

I am sure this has been asked over and over, but what do you really need for a helmet to get into NVG?

I am sure they are like holsters, you end up with a box of them until you find the perfect one, so I am hoping to learn something and maybe forego the giant box o’ shitty helmets.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The nightcap has its place buts it’s a poor substitute for a helmet. You really should start with a helmet. You won’t end up with a pile of helmets but you might have to try several sets of pads or suspensions before you get what you like. For me it was simple. Ops-Core with a TNVC pad set. Done and done.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Helmet with adjustable retention system, comfortable pads, nape strap, and secure NV shroud.

Ops-Core has a new bump that is a little more expensive than their previous version but well worth the extra cost due to the better shroud, more rigid shell, and much nicer pads that don't need to be replaced: https://tnvc.com/shop/ops-core-helmet-fast-bump-sf-super-high-cut-helmet-non-ballistic/

Team Wendy bump is a little cheaper but still has a good suspension system and pads: https://ownthenight.com/team-wendy-exfil-ltp-bump-helmet-rail-3-0
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:29:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bdover] [#3]
Sample of 1 here.  But my thoughts

1. Standard skull crusher sucks.   Worst thing I’ve played with.  Couldn’t get the tube where I wanted.  Felt like I was flexing my neck to get it around.

2.  Skull cap is better than the skull crusher but I noticed neck strain quickly.  May have been due to the counterweight being not right.  I think it’s a good option if you’re packing your nods for something.  Lot smaller than hauling a helmet.

3.  Helmets- I’m rocking a team Wendy bump & love it. Super comfy & the tube feels more stable.  I’ve got comtacs on it and rock a counterweight so the helmet feels balanced with no neck strain.  Had it on for 6 straight hours at the night shoot this fall no issues.  Buddy rocks a mtek flux airsoft one and damn of it’s not comfortable.  He rocks cans and has in ear ear pro instead of over the ear pro.

ETA team Wendy announced a ballistic at Shot that’s supposed to be about $850 street price if you want to go that route.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#4]
If you aren't looking for Ballistic... PTS MTEK Licensed FLUX - ~$120. Have two, haven't felt the need to pay more. MLOK Rails, not ARC, so plan accessories accordingly.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Just remember that the helmet is the "foundation" of the complete NVG system.  A couple of points to keep in mind when choosing between a bump/ballistic or a skull crusher/soft cover are:

Bump/Ballistic
-Provides head protection
-More stability for NVGs
-More accessory mounting capabilities
-Increased weight
-Less packability

Skull crusher/Soft cover
-Low profile
-Light weight
-Highly packable
-No head protection
-Less stability

Whatever you go with, my recommendation is to put whatever accessories you plan on using on your helmet,  mount and deploy your goggles,  and THEN make any adjustments to straps, pads, etc.   The helmet/cover will "fit" and balance differently with the equipment on it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
My $.02

Get an ACH off of eBay for about $150 plus shipping

Send it to Kustom ACH for high cut, or don't

Put any decent shroud and counterwieght on it

Spray paint it whatever color suits your fancy

Call it done

Then go spend the money you saved on a night shooting class somewhere.

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for all the replies.

I am in an auction right now for 5 ballistic helmets.  Hopefully I get them low enough so I can keep one and trade/sell the others to buy a bump helmet.

We will see where the auction goes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all your replies.

I won the auction and have 5 gently used ACH, so that's a plus.  One of them is an XL to fit my giant head , Megadeath wants the a medium, I may sell two of them.

I also bought a new Ops Core from TNVC, just to avoid helmet cooties.

Everything is hooked up, and now I wait for night time to take my first walk in the dark, which is silly, since I think it's a full moon night tonight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Top Top