Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2022 12:43:08 AM EDT
So, fellas, I know this newest addition to the bullpup lineup and it was just released in January but I'm wondering if y'all have heard any chatter in the grapevine about possible upgrades for the Hellion?  A flared mag-well or trigger upgrade, maybe?  New forward rail...new safety? (thats a big one lol)  Anything else you guys can think of?

Seems like a lot of room for improvement on the rifle and since there seems to have been a crap load of them sold thus far, hopefully there's interest in doing just that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#1]
So far...No.
Takes time if something is gonna develop.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure Manticore with develop a new fore end, but they likes have other projects to finish first. Magwell would be easy since it's modular. I saw someone on reddit 3D printed a flared prototype already. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Strike Industries pumped some stuff out for it pretty quick. It's a cool looking gun that could be made to too a bit ridiculous. Strike likes guns that look a bit ridiculous.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I still can't get over the LOP.  Granted I'm a short guy, but I handled one locally and even at the shortest setting it was ridiculous. Otherwise felt well-made.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still can't get over the LOP.  Granted I'm a short guy, but I handled one locally and even at the shortest setting it was ridiculous. Otherwise felt well-made.
View Quote

Im 6'2" and that lop, collapsed, is a bit long for me too. Just makes me laugh at the tubers who ran it fully extended.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We are looking at a number of items, but aren't going to say what until they are ready to go.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

@Manticor_Arms

On a serious note, I can't wait to see what you have in mind  
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We are looking at a number of items, but aren't going to say what until they are ready to go.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Please let it be an improved mag and bolt release as well as a flared magazine well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Please let it be an improved mag and bolt release as well as a flared magazine well.
View Quote

Yeah that too!
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. I might buy the rifle if the LOP were reduced with an aftermarket fixed stock.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Sven will figure out what the Hellion needs to be better, then design and manufacture whatever it needs, and it will be better.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Can you also look at the RDB..Plz
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
It looks like it would be relatively simple to retrofit it to a fixed length buttpad. Would you run into any issues with overall length though?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I
Quoted:

Im 6'2" and that lop, collapsed, is a bit long for me too. Just makes me laugh at the tubers who ran it fully extended.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 5'5" and handled one locally, the LOP is uncomfortable with me. I just went and bought a Steyr AUG instead and it fits me perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm only 5'8" and I thought the LOP wasn't bad when I handled one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 12:29:08 AM EDT
[#15]
The aftermarket item I want the most is a replacement butt pad the ditches the adjustable length of pull for whatever the shortest feasible fixed length may be.

The second most is a pistol grip at a more conventional angle, but I can live with the stock grip.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The second most is a pistol grip at a more conventional angle, but I can live with the stock grip.
View Quote

You know it takes regular AR grips, right? You can slap whatever you want on there.

As far as things I'd like:

Higher priority:
Safety selector with the lever at a slightly more downward angle.
Trigger improvement. The weight doesn't bug me that much since it's repeatable (though lower weight would be nice.) The biggest improvement I'd like is shorter travel/reset. Doing rapid fire at close range on this was jarring when you're used to the short travel on an AR trigger.

Nice to have but not need:
Shorter stock. (I'm 5'6" and the LOP doesn't bug me, but less/shorter would be nice. To me the distance from my eye to the optic is more important than LOP; you can get the optic further back on a VHS compared to something like an M16A4.)
Flared mag well.
Gas selector that can dial the gas down even more. I can run it on S unsuppressed no issues, so that tells me there's more room to play with.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had mine for two days now. Lop is long. Trigger reset is long. I run a suppressor, and it still has plenty of gas when on S setting.
I still like it though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Quoted:
This. I might buy the rifle if the LOP were reduced with an aftermarket fixed stock.

View Quote
This.

I'm waiting for Manticore before I buy one; their parts made all the difference in the world for my Tavor.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm picking one up Friday. Was digging down deep on Manticore Arms site earlier today and was sad. Saw this thread and am less sad.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm picking one up Friday. Was digging down deep on Manticore Arms site earlier today and was sad. Saw this thread and am less sad.
View Quote

Mine is supposed to be here Friday also, really the thing I want most is the VHS optic. I’m sure there will be more after I get to play with it a bit.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:10:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mine is supposed to be here Friday also, really the thing I want most is the VHS optic. I’m sure there will be more after I get to play with it a bit.

http://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/images/assault/cr/1450507920.jpg
View Quote

If we can get the optic setup stateside and have a company make a compatible gas block attachment, it'd work, but as of now, it wouldn't be compatible even if we could
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:38:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If we can get the optic setup stateside and have a company make a compatible gas block attachment, it'd work, but as of now, it wouldn't be compatible even if we could
View Quote

Well that sucks, that’s part of the reason I bought one of these.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:28:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well that sucks, that’s part of the reason I bought one of these.
View Quote

Getting the optic setup stateside will probably be more difficult than getting the appropriate gas block mount setup since the Hellion gas block has a dovetailed front hook in for the rail. The optic needs a double hooked setup to work properly.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms

Right there with you!

In order of things I would love:
1. Extended cantilever forend/rail combo @ AR15 height.
2. Extended top rail.
3. Polymer handguard like the Optimus they have for the x95.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So far...No.
Takes time if something is gonna develop.
View Quote

This. You are going to have see what pops up as after market accessories for the VHS.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine should arrive on Friday so I'm sure I'll have some more thoughts after getting to play with it.

From the factory, I'd like the rifle-length D2 gun and I'd love to see a coyote colored one though I don't think that's in HS Produkt's product catalog yet. The unavailability of the integrated scope doesn't bother me a great deal, it's cool, but it is much like the F(S)2000.  The secondary market and ability to swap from red dots, prisms, LPVO, etc is a lot more useful.

From the aftermarket, I think an alternative mag well would be cool.  The original G36-style one especially, but if MA cooked up a STANAG version with a better funnel, I'd probably get that.  I can also see the potential for a new handguard;  I think an aluminum one with MLOK (or 1913...) all around would work for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a question for those that have these already, Does the rail/optic return to zero after being removed?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Picked mine up today.  I like the LOP personally (6'1", monkey long arms).  My wife ran it a bit, and also doesn't mind the LOP at shortest setting (5'4", monkey long arms).  No pics of wife.

I'd love to see an original sight for the thing, or at least something from Manticore like a similar sight to the original.

Until then, it's getting an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I think I’d pass on the original integrated optic.  Likely it’s like the original AUG or F2000 sight, a long tube with limited FOV.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm wanting the original grip.  The optic would be cool too.

I have no delusions about making it a great rifle.  I just want an HS Produkt VHS-2.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 1:56:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Emphasis on “a lot of room for improvement” for sure. I’m with you and hope there’s some aftermarket solutions or that the manufacturer would correct the flaws.  The way reviewers were talking about it I think I just assumed it was that good and then some.

Have you tried contacting Springfield to see if they can help?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I got to try one out along with an X95 not to long ago and at 5'11 and some change the LOP felt wonky compared to the curved pad of the X95.

A short stock and a better trigger is a must have. You can use any grip on it already since it's AR compatible.

One fun thing would be a handguard with a integral light mount like a surefire forend
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/images/assault/cr/1450507920.jpg

Found out the Optic will work on the US guns but there’s no plans to bring them in right now according to SF
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:30:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Found out the Optic will work on the US guns but there’s no plans to bring them in right now according to SF
View Quote

Huh, Springfield told me otherwise a few months ago, and even looking at the gas block design seemed to agree. Wonder if they've been slightly altering the design since release
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Huh, Springfield told me otherwise a few months ago, and even looking at the gas block design seemed to agree. Wonder if they've been slightly altering the design since release
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy told me the gas blocks are different but the locking hook is the same dimensions in the same location so it would work but people like using their own optic and it would add cost to the rifle so they have no plans to bring it in right now. As for the bbl, they removed the ribs from the bbl for “sporting purposes” import approval.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top