Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2023 12:46:20 PM EDT
I am looking to build two uppers for my M16 that have a heavier barrel especially near the chamber to help dissipate heat. Do any of you have suggestions on a durable 12.5" or 13.7" barrel that will hold up to sustained fire without premature throat erosion? I was looking at the Noveske 12.5 switch block barrels or the 12.5 low profile gas block barrels. I have also looked at the Geissele 12.5 CHF Chrome lined barrels and think they may be a viable option.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve always ready that CHF barrels with a chrome moly lining is the best. Regardless you will have to let the barrel cool after ~100 rounds of full auto. A heavy profile barrel will absorb more heat, but will also take longer to cool down once hot.

The cheapest option is to swap uppers, but if you’re really planning to run hundreds of rounds through it in quick succession you might want to look into and MCR so you can just swap barrels.

As far as 12.5” vs 13.7” that’s up to you. I’m sure a 12.5” will be easier to find than a 13.7”. Also if you’re just sending lead down range I wouldn’t put too much money into the barrels and treat them as disposable.

FWIW the upper that stays on my M16 is a 10.5” pencil profile made of 416 stainless. Probably the worst barrel possible but it’s meant to be light weight and compact, it’s not a LMG upper.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:35:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kingoftheriver] [#2]
As above, go with a couple of cheap, lightweight, chrome lined barrels and build more than one upper.

One cools as you shoot the other.

Or get another machine gun and shoot one while the other cools

RCA
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
P.S. Personally, I like a 20 inch barrel with rifle length gas for slower ROF.

RCA
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kingoftheriver:
P.S. Personally, I like a 20 inch barrel with rifle length gas for slower ROF.
View Quote
Nice thing about the M16 platform is that you can tune it to run slow even on a short barrel if you want to.
The 10.3" upper below has a rate that is slower than a 20" upper w/ a standard configuration.

Link Posted: 9/11/2023 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By amphibian:
Nice thing about the M16 platform is that you can tune it to run slow even on a short barrel if you want to.
The 10.3" upper below has a rate that is slower than a 20" upper w/ a standard configuration.

View Quote

I have read a lot of your posts and am impressed with your abilities to get sometimes uncommon and seemingly mismatched parts/caliber combinations to not only run reliably, but at the rate of fire you prefer.

I tend to run my Colt A1 with a Colt A2 upper receiver mated with a Brownell's A1 1/7 chrome lined barrel assembly along with a hydraulic buffer.

Prefer the old school look of the pencil barrel and triangle handguard, but prefer the A2 rear sight  and as a lefty for long gun, really like the shell deflector of the A2 upper.
Also like 1/7 twist for the times I fire M855.

Haven't run a 9mm upper since I got my double push pin RR HK 94/MP5.

RCA
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#7]

I have read a lot of your posts and am impressed with your abilities to get sometimes uncommon and seemingly mismatched parts/caliber combinations to not only run reliably, but at the rate of fire you prefer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks
I tend to run my Colt A1 with a Colt A2 upper receiver mated with a Brownell's A1 1/7 chrome lined barrel assembly along with a hydraulic buffer.
I don't know which hydraulic you are running but note that they behave quite differently in my experience.  I only like a few of them.
My buffer experiences here: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=325
Haven't run a 9mm upper since I got my double push pin RR HK 94/MP5.
You can see my MP5 in the background I am testing against.  
The new MEAN Arms bearing delay with the M lifter w/ my lower configuration has a nicer cyclic rate than my MP5 and way better ergonomics.  I would say it is softer than the MP5 but the MP5 is more straight back recoil.  Very hard to beat the MP5.
Will have to see how it holds up.  Only about 1K through it so far.

Link Posted: 9/11/2023 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The hydraulic buffer I run is the Kynshot RB5001, for rifle length buffer tube.

RCA
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The hydraulic buffer I run is the Kynshot RB5001, for rifle length buffer tube.
View Quote
Ah, that is one I do not have as I do not like fixed stocks.  I have a friend that has one and I did test it in conjunction with a Colt LMG upper.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#10]
What were the results of your testing?

My impression is that it spreads out the recoil and somewhat slows rate of fire, but without a means of quantifying the ROF, it is just my impression.
Definitely an improvement.

RCA
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#11]
What were the results of your testing?

My impression is that it spreads out the recoil and somewhat slows rate of fire, but without a means of quantifying the ROF, it is just my impression.
Definitely an improvement.
View Quote
I tried to find it but couldn't.  I probably didn't save the data since like I mentioned I don't care for fixed stocks and if I am able to achieve the smoothness and the cyclic rates I want with a collapsible stock, I see no point in the fixed stock.
Here are some pics of the testing I did with my friends LMG which I probably tested with the 5001 but didn't save the data:
Baseline:

Now my preferred setup which is right around the rate I like.

Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top