Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2024 6:17:57 PM EDT
Do I need any special drill bits?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  Just about any bit will drill a Kevlar helmet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#2]
How large of a hole are you drilling? Typical metal type twist bits tend to leave you with a really fuzzy, indistinct hole in composite materials IIRC. A flat spade bit might cut cleaner but I've only seen them down to 1/4" size.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
How large of a hole are you drilling? Typical metal type twist bits tend to leave you with a really fuzzy, indistinct hole in composite materials IIRC. A flat spade bit might cut cleaner but I've only seen them down to 1/4" size.
View Quote
Installing a norotos universal shroud, so 3 small holes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I remember from a previous helmet thread that folks had better luck with the bits that had little points on the outside edges, that those did a better job of cutting the fibers. I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:05:29 AM EDT
[#5]
DIY Helmet

Drilling for NV shroud

Info on making a FAST helmet and drilling for a NV mount.  Some people share their experience drilling kevlar.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#6]
A brad point bit works the best

Superglue helps too. Drill past the surface, seal with superglue, after it hardens drill a little more
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
For the small holes involved, I use your std high speed drill bits, slightly over-sized, then seal the edges with kevlar fuzz and a good 2-part epoxy.  After that dries you can lightly ream to size.  I don't know how big of a factor it is, but some guys get the vapors about un-sealed Kevlar to atmosphere.  Could there be moisture degradation?  Possibly but I doubt as much as it's talked about.  

I've noticed some slight kevlar fuzzing around the rail and suspension holes on older helmets and I don't think it effects the performance of the helmet.  But that's just me.  Other guys on here will tell you your head will explode if you do this, instead of buying a factory-drilled helmet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top