Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2019 10:14:29 AM EDT
As the title says I’m curious why I haven’t received any renewal forms yet. The July 1 deadline is getting close.

Oh and I’m a first year sot. Thanks for any info you guys have.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Renewal forms typically go out in late April or May. I'd grab the PDF off the ATF site and get it filled out asap. It's not likely they'll be able to process it by the end of the month.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn that’s what I was afraid of.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#3]
@agraham

What if I get a stamp back before the sot receipt shows up?  I have at least four that are in the works.
What a pain.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#4]
...I think as long as you've paid for the new year, you'll be fine on the transfers.  But definitely get your form in ASAP.    New purchases will be on hold until you can provide updated paperwork.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, grab that PDF and submit. We got our new SOT a couple weeks ago, as I imagine others have as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Renewal forms typically go out in late April or May. I'd grab the PDF off the ATF site and get it filled out asap. It's not likely they'll be able to process it by the end of the month.
View Quote
Follow these instructions.  The NFA Branch told me last week, that for some reason the renewals didn't go out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@agraham

What if I get a stamp back before the sot receipt shows up?  I have at least four that are in the works.
What a pain.
View Quote
Once they cash your check you're good to go.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool it’s in the mail!  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I called on a status check today and asked them the same question, and was told that happened a lot this year.  She said to download the form from atf.gov and write "Renewal" at the top.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As the title says I’m curious why I haven’t received any renewal forms yet. The July 1 deadline is getting close.

Oh and I’m a first year sot. Thanks for any info you guys have.
View Quote
I have not gotten mine. Looks like I am going to have to D/L it and send it in.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@agraham

What a pain.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@agraham

What a pain.
You do not need an SOT to xfer a tax-stamped firearm.

Quoted:
No you are not.

They can cash your check, but if EIN is NOT updated in the SOT tax database, tax-free forms are kicked back. On top of that, most other FFL/SOTS will not even print up a form 3 for you if you do not supply a current SOT form. So you are still pretty far from GTG just because your check was cashed.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't believe that is the case.  The mailing address for these payments is a bank post office drop receiving location.  As I understand it, the bank deposits the check and then batches the forms to the ATF.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't believe that is the case.  The mailing address for these payments is a bank post office drop receiving location.  As I understand it, the bank deposits the check and then batches the forms to the ATF.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.
View Quote
A lot of these govt agencies work this way when paying for something. Same process for nfa forms too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#14]
If it’s true that I don’t need a sot to transfer a stamped firearm then I should be fine for a little bit.  It does kind of make sense if they are the legal owners at that point.  I don’t have any pending purchases at the moment but I have several form 4s that should be here soon and they want their toys!  And I don’t blame them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have not gotten mine. Looks like I am going to have to D/L it and send it in.
View Quote
Welcome to the party pal. Haha had to throw that in there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Welcome to the party pal. Haha had to throw that in there.
View Quote
yippee-ki-ya
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I normally just download and send, they are not reliable to get them out to you.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No you are not.

They can cash your check, but if EIN is NOT updated in the SOT tax database, tax-free forms are kicked back. On top of that, most other FFL/SOTS will not even print up a form 3 for you if you do not supply a current SOT form. So you are still pretty far from GTG just because your check was cashed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@agraham

What a pain.

Quoted:
No you are not.

I called the ATF and asked them this specific question the first year I got my SOT, they said as soon as the check is cashed you are good to go.

I had e-form 3's processed prior to getting my paper SOT back.

So yes, you indeed are.  Especially on a renewal.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I called the ATF and asked them this specific question the first year I got my SOT, they said as soon as the check is cashed you are good to go.

View Quote
Well you were misinformed and times have changed. While it used to be NFA cashed the check and your EIN was updated right away, The process is different than a few years ago.

And nothing changes the fact many FFLs will not file s form for you without the paper copy RSR, LaRue, AA, etc.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#20]
They are sure taking their sweet time mailing the new forms out after the check has been cashed.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well you were misinformed and times have changed. While it used to be NFA cashed the check and your EIN was updated right away, The process is different than a few years ago.

And nothing changes the fact many FFLs will not file s form for you without the paper copy RSR, LaRue, AA, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't misinformed, I had eform 3's processed after my check was cashed and prior to my paper SOT arriving. This was less than 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wasn't misinformed, I had eform 3's processed after my check was cashed ...
View Quote
Well of course you did. Nobody does tax free transfers prior to that. What you are missing is it was ALSO after your EIN was updated in the SOT database.

You were misinformed if you think the check being cashed is what allows tax free transfers. This is incorrect.

When the ATF checks your F3 to see if you are an SOT, they do not call the bank to see if your check cleared. They check their own SOT database keyed by EIN to see if your EIN is in the SOT database, and if it is you are GTG. If it is not your form is kicked back, whether your check cleared or not.

The process is generally pretty quick most of the year, but there can be a several week delay end of June/Early July as they have thousands of forms to process. One year mine was processed till August.

So getting back to topic, do not wait till June 30 to send in your form if you have not gotten your renewal. Send it in now so it will be in the SOT database by July 1.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well of course you did. <snip>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wasn't misinformed, I had eform 3's processed after my check was cashed ...
Well of course you did. <snip>
Glad you finally agree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top