Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2018 2:15:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Some bullets, especially the VLD type, can really benefit from seating long. This is because the bearing part of the ogive is so far to the rear compared to a normal bullet that with a long jump they often strike the lands at a slight angle. But it will all depend on your chamber and a given bullet.

I wouldn't try this in a semi FWIW.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Have done this exact thing and have seen no difference in performance.  The kinetic puller works well for this.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I would guess you will just get lower pressures and differences in accuracy based on that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#6]
You may want to check throat dimensions before you willy nilly go messing with seating depth.

In an auto loader it may not matter much due to magazine restrictioning OAL, but in a bolt gun you may run into problems. I heard you can get pressure spikes with direct contact to the lands and groves upon firing.

My bolt gun won't shoot factory ammo well due to its normally shorter OAL. My longer handloads do remarkably well though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would guess you will just get lower pressures and differences in accuracy based on that.
View Quote
Pressure for rifle cartridges decreases a little with small increases in overall length, but it can go up dramatically if you end up in contact with the lands.

Quickload includes this guideline for its data inputs: "WARNING: With bullet seated to touch rifling, add 7200 psi to start pressure!"

If you're going to start seating bullets long, it would be wise to actually measure your rifle's throat length with an appropriate tool, or at least back off the charge 5-10% and work up again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Savage 10T bolt gun, and I won't be seating into the lands (I have the Hornady LnL gauge). Like I said: All I was curious about in this thread is if you can slide the bullets out some, re-seat them, and if the accuracy will be affcted.
View Quote
Oh.
Well, then, the answer is yes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Savage 10T bolt gun, and I won't be seating into the lands (I have the Hornady LnL gauge). Like I said: All I was curious about in this thread is if you can slide the bullets out some, re-seat them, and if the accuracy will be affcted.
View Quote
I've read that back in the day, when highpower was shot with issue ammo, the military teams would bump the bullets to break the seal. Supposedly more consistent neck tension improved their results.

There are also some people who load large quantities of match ammunition, deliberately seating very long. When a match approaches, they seat the bullets the rest of the way, in the belief that it results in more consistent neck tension. Something to do with cold welds? I don't know if its true, but some people believe it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I would use a collet type puller.   I have had a Forster for decades but would but the Hornady cam one if shopping  today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top