Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2021 6:52:29 PM EDT
I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to have the ability to be armed but stay unobtrusive. I was thinking I would take one of my older worn out Carhartt work jackets, and rig up a pistol holster inside the left breast, and at least one pistol magazine pouch and at least one AR magazine pouch inside the right breast. Perhaps a tourniquet or two stowed unobtrusively. A large soft armor panel on the back could round out the "Gray Man" tactical setup and balance the weight from the front.

I understand that's a lot of weight to add to a garment that was never designed for it. Are there good ways to rig up straps sewn throughout, and padded shoulders to bear the weight? I'm not interested in looking like a Wrangler cover model, just "not heavily armed." Just some schlub walking around.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems like it would be easier to get a shoulder holster and add an AR mag to the off side.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It seems like it would be easier to get a shoulder holster and add an AR mag to the off side.
View Quote

I'm not aware of any shoulder holsters with armor, and with AR, pistol, and tourniquet pouches.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Still seems pretty specific, and what you’re talking about still doesn’t have armor in the front. If you’re really in ND I imagine it’s cold so the coat makes sense.

I would suggest then a Ferro Concepts slickster with soft plates or some of the thin hesco pistol plates. The cummerbund is set up for aR mags. Throw a TQ and pistol mags in one behind it, carry a pistol in one on the other side. Can secure a holster in there easy enough.

Would be nice because you could use any jacket really
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Still seems pretty specific, and what you’re talking about still doesn’t have armor in the front. If you’re really in ND I imagine it’s cold so the coat makes sense.

I would suggest then a Ferro Concepts slickster with soft plates or some of the thin hesco pistol plates. The cummerbund is set up for aR mags. Throw a TQ and pistol mags in one behind it, carry a pistol in one on the other side. Can secure a holster in there easy enough.

Would be nice because you could use any jacket really
View Quote

Thanks, I'll look into that. And yeah, jackets are a reality here at minimum 6 months a year, and often more.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks, I'll look into that. And yeah, jackets are a reality here at minimum 6 months a year, and often more.
View Quote

Then slickster. Here’s a pic of the cummerbund with AR mags and a TQ in it. Would be perfect for what you’re talking about. I can check and see what pistols fit in there if you want, I have one. Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then slickster. Here’s a pic of the cummerbund with AR mags and a TQ in it. Would be perfect for what you’re talking about. I can check and see what pistols fit in there if you want, I have one. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/BBA300B3-A517-4C68-93CF-D5293DD66735_png-1822240.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then slickster. Here’s a pic of the cummerbund with AR mags and a TQ in it. Would be perfect for what you’re talking about. I can check and see what pistols fit in there if you want, I have one. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/BBA300B3-A517-4C68-93CF-D5293DD66735_png-1822240.JPG

I'd appreciate that. I have a Glock 41, Glock 20, Glock 29, CZ P07, Smith M&P 9mm gen 1, a Commander 1911, and a few compact pistols. Definitely more interested in setting this up for a full size pistol though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd appreciate that. I have a Glock 41, Glock 20, Glock 29, CZ P07, Smith M&P 9mm gen 1, a Commander 1911, and a few compact pistols. Definitely more interested in setting this up for a full size pistol though.
View Quote

Note this is one side, there are 4 pockets on the other side as well
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Note this is one side, there are 4 pockets on the other side as well

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LOL at the flintlock. Thanks, it looks pretty flexible.
View Quote

Wanted you to have options. I wouldn’t carry chambered unless you attached a kydex trigger guard but that would be easy.

I’m tempted to get soft plates for this rig myself since it really would conceal under something as light as a jacket
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
An old carhartt would work well. I think you could get some soft inserts to line the inside well and seems reasonable to get a few pouches as long as it's not going to sag it down a bunch.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont think there's any point to attaching things to the jacket, when you could just have that stuff concealed on the belt, or a very lo-pro chest rig, under the jacket.

Add in a soft armor vest, it's still not that much bulk.

And it would carry alot better, especially if running or.moving around alot.

The slickster is a good suggestion.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#14]
This rig is designed to work under a jacket: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arktis-M675-Covert-CROPS-Rig-Black/324456821050?hash=item4b8b22313a:g:7bEAAOSww3Bfrd5E

AJ
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#15]
A loadbearing vest ought to be able to be flipped inside out and stitched in.

I don't see why a good tailor couldn't add armor panels to an already thick jacket. The only problem area being the front closure. It would have to be more like a button down style with the big overlap. Which would also be largely negated by having to open the jacket to access anything. Granted, I'd rather take my chances with armor that may not be in place, than no armor at all.

I'd worry about the armor rating, since it usually requires it to be snug to the body. You might just be better off with a concealable vest under your shirt, and then whatever else.

Fwiw, walking around, I can pretty easily carry two double stack 45 mags, an AR mag, and said 45 pistol on my belt, under the jacket.

Sometimes I lounge with a 380 in the breast pocket of my zip-up hoodie. It doesn't take much.

If I remember correctly, Carhartt or Berne offered a ccw jacket and vest which used a velcro+snap outer pocket to hold a gun. I don't think it's the greatest idea nor execution, but I'm sure it works for some. Maybe I should rethink it, since belt carry tends to get in the way of my fannypack-manpurse that I use when small game hunting to hold shells. Or on a super cold day deer hunting, where my sidearm must be concealed (stupid Ohio game law). Usually those days I will put my pistol condition 3 in the breast pocket of my bibbs (a kydex trigger guard thing could remedy needing condition 3, or not carry a glock)
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one of these in black https://www.511tactical.com/taclite-pro-vest.html Should have bought it a size smaller tho.
It can get weighted down FAST and can be super unwieldy if the front isn't held together in some fashion. (Protip, use the zipper or the little snap bit)
Easily worn under a jacket or standalone in the summer.
It's long enough to cover just about any OWB gun on your belt.
It rather well thought out and you can reach almost all the pockets without taking it off.
It's pretty obvious to anyone who is switched on as to what it's for.
A little more "covert" option might be to adapt a photographers vest or a fishing vest to your needs.
Just a thought for an in plain sight option.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#17]
If you're wearing a jacket, put a revolver in the pocket.

There's an ARFCOMer that is selling Level 2 & 3a jackets now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Yep, total Gray Man right there. Not outta place at all.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have one of these in black https://www.511tactical.com/taclite-pro-vest.html Should have bought it a size smaller tho.
It can get weighted down FAST and can be super unwieldy if the front isn't held together in some fashion. (Protip, use the zipper or the little snap bit)
Easily worn under a jacket or standalone in the summer.
It's long enough to cover just about any OWB gun on your belt.
It rather well thought out and you can reach almost all the pockets without taking it off.
It's pretty obvious to anyone who is switched on as to what it's for.
A little more "covert" option might be to adapt a photographers vest or a fishing vest to your needs.
Just a thought for an in plain sight option.
View Quote

The “shoot me first vest.”
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I have thought about something like a jacket set up, but it always comes up as too front heavy, so the jacket gets lop sided. The chest rig suggestion makes more sense. I am considering the TT MAV 2:

Yeah, it looks like a tactical bra, but you can configure it how you want and wear a jacket over it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Something to think about. IF your going "Gray Man" then Understand that a "Rifle Mag" is not going to fit into that.  SO why carry it around.  

If you are going deep cover Gray man type stuff carrying a rifle is a bad Idea so "WHY??" carry rifle mags. Like AR15, FAL, AR10, AK, and others.

Pistol and backup pistol along with mags for both. Preferably a system where the mags from the full-size longer slide longer barreled gun fit into the smaller more compact gun.
Think Glock 17L 34 17 Mags will fit into a Glock 19 26.

So in this scenario you are carrying a Glock 34 with a 17 Round mag and then a Glock 19 or say 26 with a 15 or 10 round mag specifically.
I was always told if you do this keep in the carriers mags that are full size and fit into BOTH guns. IE don't have a 19 with a mag in the gun and 2 extra 15 rounders on your belt plus say 3 or 4 extra 17 or 19 round (17 with +2 bases) Mags. The only mag (15 Rounder)  for the 19 should be IN THE GUN... Everything else will fit into the full size guns and the compact. Also no grip extenders on a 17 or 19 round mag for the 19 to make the grip longer and shoot better. If you reach for a mag and it won't fit into your gun you WILL NOT have time to UNFUCK it. If your primary breaks down and the 19 has to come out then its now your primary and ALL mags should fit into it.

Also the back up say the 19 Must be No frills known gun NO whiz bang new shit, NO red, dots, NO light, NO laser, NO FUNKY shit period.

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Why have a 34 when you can put a red dot on a 26 or 19?  Why not put a light on a gun's dust cover?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Something to think about. IF your going "Gray Man" then Understand that a "Rifle Mag" is not going to fit into that.  SO why carry it around.  

If you are going deep cover Gray man type stuff carrying a rifle is a bad Idea so "WHY??" carry rifle mags. Like AR15, FAL, AR10, AK, and others.

Pistol and backup pistol along with mags for both. Preferably a system where the mags from the full-size longer slide longer barreled gun fit into the smaller more compact gun.
Think Glock 17L 34 17 Mags will fit into a Glock 19 26.

So in this scenario you are carrying a Glock 34 with a 17 Round mag and then a Glock 19 or say 26 with a 15 or 10 round mag specifically.
I was always told if you do this keep in the carriers mags that are full size and fit into BOTH guns. IE don't have a 19 with a mag in the gun and 2 extra 15 rounders on your belt plus say 3 or 4 extra 17 or 19 round (17 with +2 bases) Mags. The only mag (15 Rounder)  for the 19 should be IN THE GUN... Everything else will fit into the full size guns and the compact. Also no grip extenders on a 17 or 19 round mag for the 19 to make the grip longer and shoot better. If you reach for a mag and it won't fit into your gun you WILL NOT have time to UNFUCK it. If your primary breaks down and the 19 has to come out then its now your primary and ALL mags should fit into it.

Also the back up say the 19 Must be No frills known gun NO whiz bang new shit, NO red, dots, NO light, NO laser, NO FUNKY shit period.

View Quote

The notion is that a rifle would be nearby, in a vehicle or otherwise. I definitely agree with matching mags such that all spares fit in all pistols.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top