Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2018 8:59:55 AM EDT
Has anybody tried or researched one of those "assemble at home" modular gun safes like this one:

https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/super-titan-xl

The door on this one looks narrow.  They make a double door model:

https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/super-titan-xl-double-door

They don't give much information on the durability (fire rating) or security of their product.

I hate the idea of some unknown laborers bringing a heavy gun safe into my house.  I know a guy who did, and not long afterwards while he was out of town, his house was broken into and his safe was opened and his guns were stolen.  They had to have known about his gun safe.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

They don't give much information on the durability (fire rating) or security of their product.
View Quote
FAQ: How much fire protection do I get with a SnapSafe Modular Safe?
You get a full 1½” of ceramic fiber fire protection rated at 2300° degrees for one hour.

I have no idea though, how that compares to other safes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
They do seem to be a good idea.
It has been years since I wanted one but after researching it a lot, I purchased a regular safe.
The sad thing is I can't remember why I did not get it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm happy with my Zanotti.  Easy to move.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  I’m sure I’ve posted before when this comes up.  The fire rating isn’t much, but given what the FD’s water does to even the best safe, temperature isn’t the primary concern.

I may be moving mine into a room that is all concrete soon and add a steel door.  That should take care of the fire rating.

ETA: when I bought mine, the wait was 6 months.  Last I heard it was longer now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Dakota interloc XP and a Zanotti. I like them both. If money were no object I’d recommend Zanotti but the Dakota is quite a bit cheaper. Both are good solid boxes. I’m convinced they are as secure as any other gun “safe” in their price range.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has anybody tried or researched one of those "assemble at home" modular gun safes like this one:

https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/super-titan-xl

The door on this one looks narrow.  They make a double door model:

https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/super-titan-xl-double-door

I hate the idea of some unknown laborers bringing a heavy gun safe into my house.  I know a guy who did, and not long afterwards while he was out of town, his house was broken into and his safe was opened and his guns were stolen.  They had to have known about his gun safe.
View Quote
They have a vault door that I’ve had my eye on.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Love my Zanotti, I originally bought it when I lived in a second story apartment, it lives in my closet now. It's rock solid when assembled, and every part but the door is light enough to move by myself.

It has a minimal fire rating, but the window between when the protection it offers is exceeded and when the protection other 'Fireproof' safes is exceeded in a house fire is pretty narrow. I don't have any irreplaceable items in there anyway, and that's what insurance is for.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks folks.

Great feedback!
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Made this sheet a while back when comparing Zanotti's to some others for research purposes.

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought a Zanotti to use as a temporary safe when I moved into an apartment... impressed with it and still have it in my house. It's now in a room that would be otherwise impossible to move a safe into.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
The seam where the side walls meet one another and meet the front and back of the safe are both a structural and thermal vulnerability.

View Quote
Actually, they say, 1 "full hour" at 2300 degrees.

Unless you know how they were tested, fire ratings are problematic as they are tested by the manufacturer under ideal conditions.  The fire in your house will almost certainly NOT be under ideal conditions.  How fast can you discover the fire, call the fire department, have them get there and extinguish the fire?

View Quote
Well, you're still going to have unknown delivery men bringing heavy safe components to your house that you are then going to assemble.  But they still know what was in the boxes they dropped off.  Ordering a safe in pieces makes you no safer (pardon the pun) than if you ordered a pre-assembled model.  In fact, if you order a pre-assembled safe from a locksmith, you're probably much safer (again pardon the pun) because the locksmith has a vested interest in keeping his business going.

In my opinion, there are much better values out there for $2,000.

And one of them is to adopt a multi-layer approach to security.  Invest in improvements to the locks, doors and hinges on your house.  Invest in a monitored home security system.  Invest in a decent safe/storage container.  Invest in some trinkets (like laptop computers or iPads) to put in plain site along the path someone would have to follow to get your guns.  You can do all that for less than $2,000 and the improved locks and the security system will also protect the other valuables in your home as well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The seam where the side walls meet one another and meet the front and back of the safe are both a structural and thermal vulnerability.
View Quote
IMO, the usual vulnerabilities still remain the most likely entry points -- the door joint and/or the skin itself. I do not believe the assembled seams present a new weakest entry point.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting. I need a safe in a room that would be real tough to fit a conventional safe in to.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like mine, too, and managed to get it into a closet and assemble it by myself.  No way a regular safe would have fit in there and somebody would have to do some long and noisy demolition to get it out to properly attack the safe.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have Dakota interloc XP and a Zanotti. I like them both. If money were no object I’d recommend Zanotti but the Dakota is quite a bit cheaper. Both are good solid boxes. I’m convinced they are as secure as any other gun “safe” in their price range.
View Quote
A half hour and an angle grinder and all the “gun safes” are able to be opened.  I also wonder how fast a metal blade in a circle saw would cut.   They cut roofing metal like butter but that’s a shad thinner.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#17]
We use skill saws with steel cutting blades to cut 12 ga cold roll steel all day. It cuts like butter and unless you hit one of the door bolts or something hard. It would be good for 4-5 safes before they get dull and no risk of sparks and fires inside the safe. When you hit 3/16 steel they slow down and don't last as long.

Quoted:

A half hour and an angle grinder and all the “gun safes” are able to be opened.  I also wonder how fast a metal blade in a circle saw would cut.   They cut roofing metal like butter but that’s a shad thinner.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a different brand (Dakota) that I bought when I was living in a mobile home that all but required a modular safe just to get in the door.  I am still using it now, but I need to get a bigger one...  Overall I am happy with it.  It wouldn't stand up to an attack by anyone that knew what they were doing, but it was better than hiding the guns in the closet, and I added about a sheet and a half of "extra" drywall when assembling it to increase the fire resistance...   It isn't water tight, but any water that gets in should run right back out....
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the biggest snapsafe they make, I love it, considering getting a second slightly smaller one for my bedroom.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#20]
a buddy has one and it seems like a nice set-up, considering his limitations (if you're buying a RTA safe, I assume you have to buy one in that format)
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#21]
What's the largest put together safe out there,??
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the Dakota 12 gun.  Works for me.  They also make a bolt on expander that will hold 6-8 more guns if I recall right.

It has a decent fire rating but as others have said all of those are questionable.

I was looking more for something to slow down or stop theft from random crack heads, kids and simple smash-and-grabs.  Got a good price on it ($ 750ish) and it was easy to move myself.  I'm real confident it will meet my requirements.  Will it stand up to a determined attacker? No.  But no safe will if you give them enough time and the right tools.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I also have a Dakota Interloc-XP.  I have moved it between 4 different apartments/condos/houses.  Sometimes I assembled them inside closets.  Currently it is on my 3rd floor, and I don't see how I could have gotten a regular safe up there.  I think it was around $900 shipped back then.

I'm satisfied with my Dakota.  I removed the drywall interior, I thought it felt cheap and the top shelf started to sag.  I have a sprinkler system at my place.  Then I put up modular shelving (Elfa from the Container Store) and it fits my needs nicely.  I've worked to secure the rest of my residence, so I'm okay with not getting a sturdier, more expensive safe.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Zanotti is a great safe! Mark is good people

having been through a home fire, fire ratings are complete bullshit.  you will have a gun with no furniture and charred beyond use unless the fire response is a block away
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#25]
https://snapsafe-review.blogspot.com
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I installed a Dakota XP when I moved into my house.  I love it.... But have outgrown it

I should have bought 2 of the extension panels.  The shipping for them now is prohibitive, so I may just get a second safe for ammo.  Good safe though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#27]
No way would I trust the fire rating on these things. It's literally a fire blanket style material that you install yourself. I don't believe it has actually been tested or verified to work at all and just looking at it, I would not bet my life on it. However, if you are putting things on a second floor, and you don't want random guys in your home, this is a great safe. I have the Super Titan, this model: https://www.amazon.com/Snapsafe-75011-Super-Titan-Digital/dp/B01M30OIQE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1521567616&sr=1-26&keywords=snapsafe&linkCode=sl1&tag=expertsafer07-20&linkId=d378749613f7bab1594662b6e2b040cf

What I did though is I bought one of those honeywell fire safe and put it inside the safe with all of my hard drives and important documents that I couldn't afford to lose. This is the chest I got: https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Waterproof-Filing-Letter-1108/dp/B004IPR22W/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1521567736&sr=8-8&keywords=honeywell+safe&linkCode=sl1&tag=expertsafer07-20&linkId=768b1c15497c0dfbfe39b16325c088da

I think the combination of the two was perfect for keeping the really important stuff safe and my guns out of my kids hands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top