Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2020 4:54:29 PM EDT
Yea or Nay?  Please add your opinion/reason without just the word "Chinese".
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Chinese
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
they work, they're cheap and available.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chinese
View Quote

You must be in Mr. Garrison's class

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
For what they cost, they're functional but I wouldn't trust them fully loaded with live ammo.  They're pretty thin plastic and likely to break if loaded heavy.  I would spend the extra for MTM or actual surplus cans for that.  I use my cheapo HF ones to store cleaned brass, parts, mags, etc.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Chy-na.

There.  Followed the OP rules.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For what they cost, they're functional but I wouldn't trust them fully loaded with live ammo.  They're pretty thin plastic and likely to break if loaded heavy.  I would spend the extra for MTM or actual surplus cans for that.  I use my cheapo HF ones to store cleaned brass, parts, mags, etc.
View Quote

They sell metal ones as well

Metal 0.50 Caliber Ammo Can

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I ended up doing a little more research and found this video.  Impressive

Harbor Freight Ammo Can Review + Torture Test
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't think they have them any longer, but Costco did a good deal with a 30 cal can nested inside a 50.
Nice metal cans, made the other side of the Pacific, but even so, pretty good.

I bought a few of these to store my ammo stash.

ETA: Last I saw, they had them in black rather than OD. I don't think they sold as well.
The OD ones would empty a pallet in a day or so.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I put about 800 rounds of 9mm in one and it’s too flimsy for that amount if you’re going to move it often.  They’re fine for my 20 round boxes of -06 and 270.

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting comparison between American made ammo cans and Ch........Asian made ammo cans

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/american-made-vs-chinese-ammo-cans/
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting comparison between American made ammo cans and Ch........Asian made ammo cans

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/american-made-vs-chinese-ammo-cans/
View Quote

Those results are not what I expected.  I seriously thought the Chinese cans would have not does as well with the 12hr water test.  Looks like I am going to go get some of the HF ones tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The labels are a SERIOUS pain in the rear to remove.  As in soak in goo gone and wait a day, then repeat.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't fill one with heavy stuff, but I use them explicitly because they're cheap and flimsy but still have a seal. I put primers in them.

Sorry safety Sally, not leaving bulk primers out in atmosphere for undetermined lengths of time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't think they have them any longer, but Costco did a good deal with a 30 cal can nested inside a 50.
Nice metal cans, made the other side of the Pacific, but even so, pretty good.

I bought a few of these to store my ammo stash.

ETA: Last I saw, they had them in black rather than OD. I don't think they sold as well.
The OD ones would empty a pallet in a day or so.
View Quote

My kids got me a few of those for Christmas a few years back.  They are nice cans and fully functional, but ever so slightly larger than my USGI cans.

I use those MTM trays (click for link to trays) to stack my ammo cans, and the Chinese/Costco ones have to be forced to fit into the slots where the USGI ones don't.  Just something to be aware of, but otherwise they appear to be nicely made.

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My kids got me a few of those for Christmas a few years back.  They are nice cans and fully functional, but ever so slightly larger than my USGI cans.

I use those MTM trays (click for link to trays) to stack my ammo cans, and the Chinese/Costco ones have to be forced to fit into the slots where the USGI ones don't.  Just something to be aware of, but otherwise they appear to be nicely made.

View Quote

Thanks for the heads up.  I did not know that and I have never seen those MTM trays before.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought four of them yesterday.

They were on sale for 2.99, figured I couldn't go wrong at that price. Loaded one full to the top with .223 and it handled it very well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought four of them yesterday.

They were on sale for 2.99
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Metal cans are gtg.  I’ve bought a handful. The sticker label was a pain in the ass until my wife said to use a blow dryer. Heat it up and slowly peal it off as your still aiming the dryer under the label.  Made it very easy. Might want a glove to wear as you use the dryer and peel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I ran across the Flambeau brand cans on sale one day. I compared them to the plastic 30 cal size cans I had bought at Walmart (same shape and style as Harbor Freight) and found that they are slightly bigger. The cans have a taper that narrows toward the bottom. The Flambeau cans don’t. I can get 600 rounds of 9mm that are stored in Frankford Armory 50 round storage boxes inside easily.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wouldn't fill one with heavy stuff, but I use them explicitly because they're cheap and flimsy but still have a seal. I put primers in them.

Sorry safety Sally, not leaving bulk primers out in atmosphere for undetermined lengths of time.
View Quote

I used an old dorm fridge unplugged for primers. Seems like a perfect insulated and stable environment. A cooler would work too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#22]
The Chinese cans, harbor freight/Costco/tractor supply, are out of spec and do not stack well. Their bottom “relief” is not deep enough for the carry handle.

The chinese cans can only be used as the bottom can when stacking Ammo cans.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Leaky, chinese potmetal cans,, no thanks

Part of the 'fun' of owning & using Ammo Cans is thinking jeez,, these are the same cans used by our military.   Using those HF cans all you get is the chinese 'leaky' rubber seal and rusted potmetal smell, some guy in a sweat shop dripped his BO on.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Part of the 'fun' of owning & using Ammo Cans is thinking jeez,, these are the same cans used by our military.   Using those HF cans all you get is the chinese 'leaky' rubber seal and rusted potmetal smell, some guy in a sweat shop dripped his BO on.
View Quote

LOL, Never thought anything "fun" about ammo cans.  Just function.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, amen.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I buy them when they are under $5 to put my reloads and cast bullets in.
They work fine for that.
Other wise I have a bunch of surplus steel ones.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought a bunch from Tractor Supply. The handles SUCK. As in the crimping unfurls and the handle detaches if you load up too heavy. The lid, body, seal, etc are all fine. The handles are the Achilles heel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yea or Nay?  Please add your opinion/reason without just the word "Chinese".
View Quote
they’re cheap and work. I have a can that’s holding about 600 .40cal pistol rounds that’s holding strong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top