Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2018 11:04:53 AM EDT
Does anyone have a good source for a recoil pad for a H&R 490 Topper Jr in 410?  I've looked at Limbsaver and the grind to fit is my only option with them as best as I can tell.

James
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you check the Limbsaver slip-on pad in Small?

If you want to get one permanently attached, any decent grind to fit will work (Kick-Eez, Pachmayr, etc.)

Due to slight variances in wood, I don't know that there exists a screw-on pad that will precisely fit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I've found some screw on pads that are very close.  I'm wondering if I could slightly grind one of them.  Specifically, one of the Limbsavers looks like it is within 1/16" to 1/8".
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
On an inexpensive shooter, if I could get the pad within 1/16" I would wrap the joint where the pad and stock meet with a little black electrician's tape and call it good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On an inexpensive shooter, if I could get the pad within 1/16" I would wrap the joint where the pad and stock meet with a little black electrician's tape and call it good.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm probably overthinking this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you just trying to increase LOP?

If so, you could cut a scrap piece of plywood (of desired thickness) and sand to fit as a spacer between the butt and the plate. The toe may be a little funky because of the angle but it will work and can easily be restored for re-sale. I have even done this with cut up flip-flops

Grinding to fit a recoil pad isn't particularly hard if you have the right tools but there is an art form to doing it so it looks good. I F@%Ked up the first two I tried before I got it right. I think I am pretty good OK at it now (humble brag )

The easiest way is to mount the pad then grind/sand to fit THEN refinish the whole buttstock. Sometimes, that is not a bad option depending on the condition of the buttstock.

ETA- Like Bud said, why not a "small" slip-on Limbsaver recoil pad. Walmart or Amazon usually have them pretty cheap. Perosnally I don't like the "look" but easy installation and easy to remove if you don't want it anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top