Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 7:42:45 PM EDT
So prior to 1968 they didn't need serial numbers.  Traded for an old 16 gauge 870 with no serial number anywhere on it, but what appears to be a serial number is hand scribed onto the trigger guard.  

The question is, can I trade out the trigger guard and still be legal, or since the serial number appears to have been placed there, do I need to keep the trigger guard with it?

Gun was not sold through an FFL but from a private party, so I have no way of knowing if this actually IS a serial number or just a personally applied number the way my dad used to engrave his USMC ID onto things.

Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
A serial number must be on the receiver or the part of the gun that is considered a firearm.

A serial number would not be on the fire control group (trigger assembly).

There is nothing illegal about a firearm with no serial number made prior to 1968 under Federal law.

There might be state laws in states that require registration that will not register a firearm that never had a serial number.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So prior to 1968 they didn't need serial numbers.  Traded for an old 16 gauge 870 with no serial number anywhere on it, but what appears to be a serial number is hand scribed onto the trigger guard....

View Quote

More likely that is someone's driver's license # or part of their social surveillance # that was scribed onto the trigger guard as a theft deterrent/identification
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet, now to either restore the trigger guard or find a replacement to swap it out with.  I think 12 and 16 used the same size, so there should be plenty of donors out there.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Pre-68 Remington 870s still had serial numbers from the factory. Might want to find out what happened to yours...

Here's a KA (may-1954) barrel coded 870. Note serial number under Remington

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:25:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pre-68 Remington 870s still had serial numbers from the factory.
View Quote
This.

The 870s always had a serial number.

The 12/16 trigger housing is the same, but I think the carrier was unique to the 16 gauge.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I'm just blind.  The serial number IS there, just wasn't where I expected it to be and my mind kept glossing over that it WAS the serial number as it looked like part of the "Remington"

Sorry to waste everyone's time.  

And it IS a different number than the one on the trigger guard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top