Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2021 11:02:02 PM EDT
I bought a bedside safe when my kids were born. The idea was to have the guns available on the bedside and safe to keep away from the kids.
I bought a Sports AfieldSide Load Double Handgun Vault.  
I have had 4 years of issue free service.  
Today my toddler jumped up on my bed while I was brushing my teeth.  
I heard the familiar mechanical sound of it opening.
He grabbed a bottle of Motrin (thank god he didn’t grab what else was in the safe) and began shaking it like a rattle.

I jumped on the bed and grabbed it from him. I closed it.  I said to myself “did the lil guy guess my code that easy?”

Wife freaked the fuck out. Understandable.

I picked up the safe and walked it into my storage room. As I was walking down the hall it opened up in my hands.  

Anyone else have a bedside safe open like that before?   I will be putting it up on top shelf and away from the bed. I will be buying a new based as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had them not open. Never just open on there own.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Would replace it with a FAS1 or a VLine, stronger bix, simplex lock.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got one of the old ones with a simplex lock, 5 buttons, program the code, have to turn the switch, haven't had it fail in over 20+ years.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope.  I have an AMSEC.  These don't fail.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Only safe thing to do is get rid of it. As others have said replace with a mechanical lock version.

They're just as fast once you get used to it.  I bought a V line 2 gun version when our son was born. I have a second now to keep a weapon on the main floor too.

I have found that my P229 that wears Hogue wrap around grips can interfere with the mechanism due to it's thickness. You notice it while locking though so no chance of locking it and not being able to unlock. I just have to position it so the mechanism is free to turn.

A Glock 17 with light in the other one has no issues.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Does the locking mechanism look like it's worn out?

I have had a hornady rfid safe, for a few years. Now I'm second guessing the saftey of it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Yikes!  That’s terrifying!  I can recommend the FAS1. I would suspect that a simplex lock would be more likely to fail safe (can’t open) than pop open. That said, all machines can and will fail. I try to practice redundancy when it comes to gun safety as much as possible.

ETA:  Show your kids those dumb NRA Eddie eagle videos on a loop!
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yikes!  That’s terrifying!  

ETA:  Show your kids those dumb NRA Eddie eagle videos on a loop!
View Quote

Yeah. It put the whole house into a shit mood for the rest of the night.

Kids are too young to understand Eddie eagle yet. But it’s def on the list to watch.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd call the company and let them know. I'd even send them a video. Maybe they have an issue that is broader then just your safe. Possibly they need to issue a recall so it doesn't happen to anyone else. They also might offer you a replacement that is a different design.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a FAS1.
I only wish it had 6 buttons instead of 5.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#12]
op put a dildo and a can of beans in the busted safe and weld it shut. hide it somewhere it wont be found for long time with instructions attached to it on how to start a safe thread on arf. hope im still around when its discovered
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top