Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2021 6:00:51 PM EDT
I have an opportunity to trade my 1996 WS6 Trans Am for a 1987 HK93 in 5.56, with 15-20 factory mags, and some spare furniture. Chantilly marked, 556 chamber, 3-5x 40rd mags, rest mix of 30s and 20s.

HK93 is in really good shape. The WS6 is great mechanically, but needs paint and some ground effects repaired.

How much is the HK93 really worth? My cat is 5000-7500$ according to KBB. The HK is pre-ban, and comes with a good helping of factory mags.

Trying the sites hosting deal, not familiar with it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Folding stock, handguard, sling, bipod, and 15-20mags.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Sort of a hobby. Its now an extra car, but past two years I totalled two cars. And she got me out of both jams. But i also have my mother in law's car as back up if need be. I got the Pontiac as a sentimental deal because my mom died with nothing but a small life insurance from work that my dad mostly squandered. Turns out, her uncle who i met twice, died after her, but was set in their will her inheritance portion goes to me and my sister. So i bought the car because it was her favorite and ended up being one of mine as well, so sort of a farewell gift i guess? It actually has appreciated in value since i got it, kbb was 3500ish if i remember right, when I got it few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]
HK, do it! Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The car is a money pit though. Ive done alot to it, no real performance upgrades besides exhaust and a tune. Replaced all the bushings and stuff. Have full suspension set to install. Its a badass car.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#9]
All original, 156k on the clock. Just got new tires.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#11]
But its a West German 556 HK93 in practically new shape.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Neither will ever be made again. Both will appreciate in value. Im not intending to sell the HK. I personally think the car is worth 7500$. Im around that into it. Little less because i parted out another car for parts and made profit. I could part the car out over time and make 6k.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An easy $2K on the mags alone.
View Quote

Yup.  I counted and got $2300 on the mags alone if you tried to buy them all at today's prices
What else is there?  The gun and maybe a few hundred bucks in accessories?

As for OP's car, I think $5k is pushing it.  Blue book or no, thats not exactly a high demand collector's car.  Its a 90s US made car with rough paint and 150k on the clock.  Alls I'm saying is i have $5k to blow on toys, and I wouldn't pay that much for that car.  Maybe if you sat around and found the right buyer.  
Maybe you could part it out and get $6k, but how many hours of your time would be invested in labor, chatting with tire kickers and buyers, taking pictures, yada yada.  

Overall, I think this is a good trade.  I recently got the vector version of this gun.  I got the 93 and the 53.  I like the 53 better, cause I like shorter guns.  But the 93 is still great.  That one being a real HK, means you get the cool factor of having a real HK, but the downsides of not getting a paddle mag release.  And over time, the value on this car will go down, not up.  Whereas the value on the HK will only go up unless you somehow hurt the condition of it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
You will always be able to buy the car, the gun, might not be able to buy it before the summer is over.

Mags are $75-80 for the steel.  Aluminum I don’t know.

Gun man they are all over the place right now $3-$5k based on recent GB auctions.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mags are $75-80 for the steel.  Aluminum I don’t know.
View Quote

The aluminum 40rd mags, for used "good condition" surplus mags, $77 each (including shipping) was the best I could find back in december.  Advertised as having scratches and dents that dont affect the performance.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Im doing it. I dont get all mags pictured, thats to be haggled in person. Guaranteed 15mags, gun and handful accessories..
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Im doing it. I dont get all mags pictured, thats to be haggled in person. Guaranteed 15mags, gun and handful accessories..
View Quote
Right call.  Try to get all the mags, but regardless you are getting the appreciating asset.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell him if he includes all the mags, you'll include the fuzzy dice in the mirror and the barefoot gas pedal in the car, and a sweet leather jacket and boombox.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Tell him if he includes all the mags, you'll include the fuzzy dice in the mirror and the barefoot gas pedal in the car, and a sweet leather jacket and boombox.
View Quote

No way! Im keeping my jacket AND the mullet. 80s all the way baby.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yup.  I counted and got $2300 on the mags alone if you tried to buy them all at today's prices
What else is there?  The gun and maybe a few hundred bucks in accessories?

As for OP's car, I think $5k is pushing it.  Blue book or no, thats not exactly a high demand collector's car.  Its a 90s US made car with rough paint and 150k on the clock.  Alls I'm saying is i have $5k to blow on toys, and I wouldn't pay that much for that car.  Maybe if you sat around and found the right buyer.  
Maybe you could part it out and get $6k, but how many hours of your time would be invested in labor, chatting with tire kickers and buyers, taking pictures, yada yada.  

Overall, I think this is a good trade.  I recently got the vector version of this gun.  I got the 93 and the 53.  I like the 53 better, cause I like shorter guns.  But the 93 is still great.  That one being a real HK, means you get the cool factor of having a real HK, but the downsides of not getting a paddle mag release.  And over time, the value on this car will go down, not up.  Whereas the value on the HK will only go up unless you somehow hurt the condition of it.
View Quote

KBB in "good" is a range of 5500-7300 i think it was. Regardless, KBB is always just a starting point for certain cars, and Pontiacs are collectible to Pontiac fans. This HK guy seems to be one, because he was quick to offer up the nicer of the two 93s he has/had. The other was a 223 SACO marked on. In rougher shape, or rather simply used. Its a niche market for sure. It has gone down, but it will one day be a gold mine for some old ass zoomer trying to find the car his Gen Xer dad dreamed about or had pictures of whatever.

But, youre pretty much right. I will swap to a paddle mag if I can, Ill modernize it enough that doesnt require permanent mods. I really like the old school feel of it though. I missed out on the all German demilled kits because I kept putting it off.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Simple. DO THE TRADE!!! The H&K is the way better deal in my eyes, especially now with the market going crazier. Imagine if all imports are banned again, your H&K goes up even more. I wouldn't even think twice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#24]
How is this even a question? Throw the keys at him, take the gun and mags and run! For the love of pete!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I would absolutely do that trade. Get the rifle, install a paddle mag release, and enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Do it, don’t drop the ball on this deal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I gotta wait till it warms up anyways for the tires. No bueno under 36. Its been sitting a few weeks. So gotta do some checks this weekend. Nothing is finalized yet, but he seemed eager. Car is at buddy's house, so if it warms up this weekend and everyone holds power, ill go get this settled.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd do that shit before the guy changes his mind on you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Lowest price on 40 round mags is $59.99. That is a shitload of mags! I only have 5 surplus myself and 5 promags. You would almost have a retirement fund with that entire batch. I would try to get all of the mags i the deal because what is he going to do with them after trading the rifle? Try to sell them individually on gun broker and deal with that pain?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Lowest price on 40 round mags is $59.99. That is a shitload of mags! I only have 5 surplus myself and 5 promags. You would almost have a retirement fund with that entire batch. I would try to get all of the mags i the deal because what is he going to do with them after trading the rifle? Try to sell them individually on gun broker and deal with that pain?
View Quote

Well, he was trying to sell a pair of 93s, one 556 Chantilly, one 223 Saco. I offered the car up, he responded next morning essentially agreeing to offer up the Chantilly, 15mags, and extra spare parts. I said we need to negotiate a better mag deal, and i want to change some fluids due to the freeze.

So, Saturday im tending to El Pollo Fiero, and Sunday meeting him to negotiate.

Im pretty sure i wont get all the mags as i think he still has the 223 Saco. 20 is guaranteed though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]
For what it's worth the WS6s will definitely be worth more in the future, although that one is cosmetically rough enough that the potential value increase is offest.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Definitely do NOT install a paddle magazine release onto an original HK-93, unless it’s just a beater/shooter rifle. A paddle magazine release installation requires permanent, irreversible modifications to the rifle, and will torpedo its collector value.

That WS6 could be a pretty nice ride, with a new paint job. Is it an automatic transmission or a 6 speed manual? Those LT1 engines were pretty strong and dependable. If it’s an original Texas car, I’ll bet it’s rust-free. That car would also make a great hot rod candidate with an LS2/3/7 engine swap. So-equipped, it would be a straight-up monster, and a real blast to drive. You could have a refined, daily-driver that runs 10 second quarter mile times. While I don’t agree with the “LS Swap All The Things” mantra, I do feel that your WS6 would be a natural candidate for an LS swap.

One final thought: They aren’t making any more Pontiacs, either.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Well..... the deal has been made. I agree on the paddle mag, i was thinking the mags were different. I just got home. Hell of a week it ended up being. One of those Murphy weeks.

I really believe it was the devil tempting me to not go through with the deal. Car started right up after sitting for over a month and after this freeze. Slight lifter tick. Warmed up just fine. Pulled out into the street, some lady walking her dog "I like your car". I go for a test drive to make sure everything is good. Two people give the thumbs and nods.

On my way to the deal, i pass by another LT1 trans, 94 i think with the blue stripe and drop top. He gave me Bird flash. Passed by other cool cars and little meet ups. But, god blocked my path with Sunday drivers and big trucks on no passing roads, so i couldn't open her up and reinvigorate my love for deadly speeds and turns.

Turns out it was some kind of Trifecta deal. The dudes friend really wanted the car and was willing to trade a different car "technically" worth more without the cool factor to the HK93 guy.

So, i got the HK93 with 21 mags. He trading my car for some 350Z, dude with 350Z has been searching for this car because he drove it new when they came out shortly after getting his license or something. Some awesome rich car guy story. Some major collection. Blah blah.

Anyways, TLDR, devil tempted me not to, but I traded the WS6 for the HK93.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#34]
You did well!

There are a LOT of V-8 Project Cars & Trucks out there.  

There are not a lot of Real Cherry HK-93s these days.

It makes me a little teary when I think about the HK-91 with all the Mags & Accessories that I sold when my first child arrived ...

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:49:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Pictures soon. Gonna shower before fondling.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#36]
that may be a 1988 II date code with a 1/7 twist (normal is 1/12) HK93, its a 42 prefix and looks like it has the longer flash hider(pinned on a shorter HK33 barrel)

if its a 1/7 barrel it will be marked 176(I think) on the bottom of the barrel under the handguard.

not all with the extended hider are 1/7 twist, some are not pinned and welded

if so, its worth more than your average 93.

mags 1500-2000K

trans am..no clue, id trade it
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#37]
If it was an LS ws6, id say he would need to throw in some $. Since its an LT version, id say its a pretty much an equal swap.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:58:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:08:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:13:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If it was an LS ws6, id say he would need to throw in some $. Since its an LT version, id say its a pretty much an equal swap.
View Quote

I disagree, i think the LT1 doesn't get the love it deserves. The 96 was first year the WS6 Ram Air came back, so it has that collector value to it. They made so many more LS1 cars, and so many more have survived as opposed to the LT1. So, its on its way up in collector value. I was doing it right, i just do mechanicals first, creature comforts 2nd, cosmetics 3rd. It was innthe creature comfort phase.

Anyways, im happy. Hes happy. Other dude is happy. All is well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:17:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Sweet.  Now get the paddle mag release installed to get that thing the respect it deserves.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sweet.  Now get the paddle mag release installed to get that thing the respect it deserves.
View Quote
+1 on the paddle install.  It's not a NIB gun, and they need a paddle to enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Negative on the paddle mag. I havent researched enough to really decide yet if its worth it, if it will hurt its value, etc etc. Slight trader's remorse, but knowing how much of a money pit the fire chicken would be to be "proper" i feel better. I wouldve never gotten what I had put into it without getting this. I can sell this probably rather quickly for more than what would potentially take months or longer to sell the firebird for the right price.

I havent really decided its final purpose yet. I could easily, and very satisfactorily, paddle mag and run the shit out of this thing. But i just dont know if I should....it has the 1:12 barrel i think, which is fine I guess. I have tons of 55g, but would prefer the 1:7 barrel. Whatever. Im still drooling and pondering phase.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#45]
How much gas is in the tank?  If less than half, take the trade.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Gun for gun, car for car, never mix the recipe.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#47]
There was 3/4ish when i traded. Filled it up with bucees ethanol free gasoline. The gud stuffs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Gun for gun, car for car, never mix the recipe.
View Quote

This was actually the second Firebird I traded for a, and third gun for car trade. First one was a 1988 Trans Am GTA Notchback that had a blown head gasket, and I was not making hardly any money in order to fix it. Guy offered me a bunch of Nazi memorabilia and some Nazi guns. so i took the trade. Naive dumb 23 yr old, and I sold the stuffs for a hefty profit, got a tan HK USP 45, and kept the rest of the money. I forget what model, but was a CZ something pistol with Swastikas on the grips, an officers belt with sword, a Kar98k bayonet, and this bloodstained paratrooper knife. They knife was the worth the most of all the goods. I regret that trade more than anything because there was only 623 of those Notchbacks ever made.

Second trade I had built an MaTen with all Armalite goodies, no expense spared at the time as I just got back from contract work in Afghanistan so I figured I would treat myself. Then was shopping for a project car, and found a 1975 Firebird Formula, all original, but was in restoration phase. Traded for that. That deal almost caused the wife and I to break up, girlfriend at the time. I didnt listen to my gut, dude had won the car in a divorce, and lost everything else. Was his ex's parents car or some shit. Bad omen with that car. I eventually sold it for much more than what I spent building the MaTen. And it was another omen deal, when the guy came to pick it up, was a huge storm. I think the Tax day flood in Houston several years back.

the WS6 was in need of more repairs. It had 150k miles on original motor, trans and rear end. Rear end was leaking, rear main seal was leaking, and trans rattled a bit sometimes. So the car still needed 5k or so in work if doing it all in a garage except machine shop work. Not in a position to do that.

But anyways, TLDR I disagree with that recipe. Guns for cars, cars for guns, boats for motorcycles, anything for anything. It only matters to you and the other guy. I was actually thinking of looking for an 1984 Corvette to possibly trade again......
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Variety is the spice of life, and you’re only young enough to enjoy these things for relatively a short amount of time. I say keep up the horse trading, and have fun!
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#50]
I think you did well. Thats a nice rifle. And that mag stash ... Cha Ching!

I have a HK93, and it's a grail gun for me. I thought about the paddle release, but for reasons already stated, I'm keeping mine original. It's not my SHTF weapon, so I can manage to get by without 00.87 second mag swaps. And I ain't dropping $70 mags in the gravel, doing changes.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top