Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2021 1:18:54 PM EDT
I’m a member on a Facebook gun forum local to me. A guy that does engraving has posted 80% AR lowers that are marked just like HK AR lower are...complete with like and model and manufacture. Is this copyright infringement or no big deal?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If they are not genuine HK then it sure sounds like infringement.

Not cool as it steals business and possibly makes HK out to be of lesser quality than they are.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
People do it to make clone guns that are otherwise unobtanium. I've seen 80% lowers with Diemaco markings on them for people who want C7 and C8 clones. I'm sure manufacturers could go after these guys if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Is attempting to interfere with what people are having engraved on their own guns not an infringement?
(Private property rights, and all that.)

Not cool as it steals business and possibly makes HK out to be of lesser quality than they are.
It should be cool with all of us, if HK doesn't offer whatever they're copying, or imitating.
(It's nbd to me personally, even if HK does offer it to the civilian market.)

I doubt any of these guys are trying to pass their stuff off as genuine HK.

Even if they are, that only matters if it's for sale, and that lack of authenticity isn't disclosed. (IMHO). Then it could possibly lessen HK's rep, and clearly would be an attempt to deceive/defraud potential buyers.

Trademark infringement is generally not a crime. It's a civil tort, not criminal law.

It's up to HK to protect (via lawsuit, or more often just a C&D letter) their own Intellectual Property.
In other words... If you're not HK, don't worry about it.

...Unless you're an engraving business (or individual) offering fake-engraved "HK" products for sale to the general public.
Then you may need to worry about being served with a C&D letter, being sued civilly by HK, or just becoming known as a sleazy scamming bastard.

I personally have no problem with a business simply offering engraving services for people's private property (of whatever they want engraved on there).

HK (just like Colt) is likely to send the engraving service a C&D letter (and threaten a lawsuit) if they find out they're offering engraving of their trademarked IP however.

Lasers (much like CNC machines and 3D printers) are a great thing.
I like clones, and believe the firearms community is better off with helping people get the most awesome stuff they can get their hands on.

(Obviously I like the real stuff better, but since not everyone can get it, we must all work within our limitations.)
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’m a member on a Facebook gun forum local to me. A guy that does engraving has posted 80% AR lowers that are marked just like HK AR lower are...complete with like and model and manufacture. Is this copyright infringement or no big deal?  Just curious.
View Quote

It is no big deal as far you are concerned. And since it has been going on for a decade, I imagine it is no big deal to HK either.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It is no big deal as far you are concerned. And since it has been going on for a decade, I imagine it is no big deal to HK either.
View Quote

I bet if HK even has time to think about it going on, they likely think of it in a similar way that famous bands feel about their tribute bands...  sure they’re blasting their copyrighted music for money, but in the end actually promotes the brand/image overall as its something their fans like.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Avoid ....
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
H&K won't go after anyone unless they are making a lot of money on it, like GSG .22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top