Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2021 1:28:27 PM EDT
I am thinking of adding another plate carrier to my car setup (second car) and one for the house. I have a LAPG Atlas that I really like (i listed it for sale and not sure I will sell it or not). I have slimmed the Atlas down to be a minimalist carrier. I wanted to get some information on the Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist plate carrier before I go ahead and buy one. I have some coupons and with the sale that Optics Planet is running the carrier would be in the $60 dollar range.

The shoulder straps are Velcro, how do they hold up over time? Are they a set it and forget it type of deal? I'm thinking I would unbuckle from the side and pull up and over my head and out the side of it.

The side straps that are made of an elastic material, how do they hold up over time?

Can the upper part that is open (where the corner edge of the plates show) be used for a pocket? I carry a couple different tourniquets with me and I thought that maybe that would be a good place to store a RAT tourniquet. If not, I will just do what I am doing with my Atlas PC. I am using a ALICE gear compass/bandage pouch.

Tell me your experience with them and your thoughts on them too.

***Update 7.15.21***

I went ahead and ordered one in Ranger Green. I will see how I like it and if I don't I will send it back. If anyone can answer the questions above, please feel free to do so. I am still interested in knowing. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
No personal experience with them, butGGG is known to be good quality, you'll most likely be pleased with it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one and I was very happy with it. It's been replaced by an Esstac Daeodon ASS, which is much more comfortable, but also much pricier. I'm keeping the GGG minimalist is a backup carrier. I only used the GGG for one year, but it got a significant amount of use.

The shoulder pads are not easy to adjust on the fly so I adjust them and keep it there. As with most carriers you really shouldn't adjust the shoulder straps once you have it configured for maximum coverage.  Some have voiced concern over the plastic d rings on the straps, but they seem sturdy enough and have held up well for me.

The side straps held up great, can be cinched down easily and the elastic is thick. They allow for movement and still allow you to breathe if you over-exert yourself. If you are very skinny or very fat you may run out of adjustment though.

The exterior upper pocket is more of an admin pouch and it is not easy to get items out of it. The opening is small and narrow and the pocket is deep. I would not put a TQ in there because you want that out fast.

I think it's an awesome carrier. I paid $80 for mine. If you treat this as a minimalist carrier you will be happy. Stick a mag shingle on the front, TQ or IFAK somewhere and you're set. It's quick to get on, very comfortable, and very light. I really liked the breathable lining. I was running in VA weather with it and it doesn't feel as hot as other carriers. Not as nice or nearly well-made as my Daeodon, but not $240 either.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one and I was very happy with it. It's been replaced by an Esstac Daeodon ASS, which is much more comfortable, but also much pricier. I'm keeping the GGG minimalist is a backup carrier. I only used the GGG for one year, but it got a significant amount of use.

The shoulder pads are not easy to adjust on the fly so I adjust them and keep it there. As with most carriers you really shouldn't adjust the shoulder straps once you have it configured for maximum coverage.  Some have voiced concern over the plastic d rings on the straps, but they seem sturdy enough and have held up well for me.

The side straps held up great, can be cinched down easily and the elastic is thick. They allow for movement and still allow you to breathe if you over-exert yourself. If you are very skinny or very fat you may run out of adjustment though.

The exterior upper pocket is more of an admin pouch and it is not easy to get items out of it. The opening is small and narrow and the pocket is deep. I would not put a TQ in there because you want that out fast.

I think it's an awesome carrier. I paid $80 for mine. If you treat this as a minimalist carrier you will be happy. Stick a mag shingle on the front, TQ or IFAK somewhere and you're set. It's quick to get on, very comfortable, and very light. I really liked the breathable lining. I was running in VA weather with it and it doesn't feel as hot as other carriers. Not as nice or nearly well-made as my Daeodon, but not $240 either.
View Quote

Thanks for the real world information on this carrier. I was wondering about the pocket. I want to make up and IFAK and also have the knowledge for all the things in it. Basic first aid is where I am at. I am hoping for some classes soon.

What part of VA? And you can message that to me if you want. I’m also in VA. 540 area.

One thing that I keep seeing about this carrier is that it is great for when you sweat. My Atlas isn’t great but I knew that going into it. I like the Atlas for what it is and what it gives me. Options to run heavier loads or slim it down and have it light and minimal. That is what won me over with it.

I have also seen the buckle as a concern by most but not a problem with it has been reported. At least I haven’t seen it. We do love in a modern world now that plastic isn’t the same plastic that we grew with as kids. It’s much stronger. But it can still be a concern. I won’t be running it to heavy to stress it. A couple AR mags and an IFAk and I’m good to go.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No personal experience with them, butGGG is known to be good quality, you'll most likely be pleased with it.
View Quote

I think I will really like this one. The straps and the way it’s cut looks a bit more comfortable than that of my Atlas carrier.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got the Grey Ghost Gear carrier in and WOW is it light. I also like the way the shoulders look and how they should come across my shoulder. I think this is going to be a great carrier. I just got home and I'm to tired to try and fit it to me tonight. Hopefully this weekend I will have some time to do so. If I had it to do over again, I think I would go with another GGG carrier. I do like the Atlas but man this GGG is light.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like mine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#7]

I have one as a secondary carrier. It’s a minimalist carrier and if people are honest with themselves, it fits the needs of 99% of defense minded civilians once you add a mag shingle. If you want a minimalist rig then you won’t mind that there is no ability to swap cummerbunds, add danglers, or mount dual comms. I haven’t found a use for the pass through chest pocket, so for my purposes it’s no value added. The design makes shouldering a rifle easy without any strap interference. Overall it’s a very decent carrier especially when you can get it on one of many GGG’s many generous sales throughout the year.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to agree, that this is the best carrier that I own now. Its so light, well made, offers just what I need an not a lot more to try and figure out what to do with it and weight myself down. The Atlas, great carrier, not as light, it can be slimmed down to a minimalist carrier or made to carry a full battle rattle load out if you want. I was using it as a minimalist carrier and it works great in that roll too, but the shoulder straps get in the way of the rifle but it isn't to bad. Its a training issue that I will overcome.

The pass through pocket I thought about stretching out my Rats TQ and making it to where I can grab and pull and it ready. I would run it long ways across the pocket and out the other side.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://i.postimg.cc/L5fXB2kP/9-E3-CD22-C-6-E3-A-4-E24-B805-B97-FFC60-EC4-E.jpg

I have one as a secondary carrier. It’s a minimalist carrier and if people are honest with themselves, it fits the needs of 99% of defense minded civilians once you add a mag shingle. If you want a minimalist rig then you won’t mind that there is no ability to swap cummerbunds, add danglers, or mount dual comms. I haven’t found a use for the pass through chest pocket, so for my purposes it’s no value added. The design makes shouldering a rifle easy without any strap interference. Overall it’s a very decent carrier especially when you can get it on one of many GGG’s many generous sales throughout the year.
View Quote

Digging the spam can patch!
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 5:32:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have one and used it a few times.  I got a grey one and use my left over ACU kit with it.  BAE six mag pouch and then a hydration thing on the back and have two Safariland plates in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top