Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2016 1:01:55 PM EDT
Do the felt wads or paper rolled loads work as well as grease in the cylinders?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the felt wads, myself. Much less mess.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I much prefer using lubricated felt wads vs. grease. They keep the fouling soft but are far less messy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote

Recent convert here with an 1858, take this for what you pay for it.

Im going to get flack for this but I use both... at the same time

Now hear me out first. I use a que tip to add a thin layer of bore butter to the projectile after loading with a grease patch behind the ball. I have no measurable increase in mess and it seems to work really well in the fowling department  and has a small increase in the accuracy department.

Why? No fucking clue, but I like the way my repro shoots and CLEANS with this load. I'll stick with it for a while

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Felt wads work great.  I punch them into place with my thumb after charging with powder, works perfect, far better than trying to grease.  Where I live the high temperatures in summer also make wads a better option than a greasy compound or bore butter, they go partial liquid on a hot shooting day.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the felt wads, myself. Much less mess.
View Quote
Me too.  You can make your own wads with some heavy wool felt and a proper sized punch, then dunk them in some of your favorite lube in a pot on the stove.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Now hear me out first. I use a que tip to add a thin layer of bore butter to the projectile after loading with a grease patch behind the ball. I have no measurable increase in mess and it seems to work really well in the fowling department  and has a small increase in the accuracy department.

Why? No fucking clue, but I like the way my repro shoots and CLEANS with this load. I'll stick with it for a while
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto
I use felt wads under the ball and a small bit of bore butter on top
works well
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I much prefer using lubricated felt wads vs. grease. They keep the fouling soft but are far less messy.
View Quote
Same.  Make sure your balls are correctly sized for your gun and shave lead as already noted and you don't have to put lube on top of them.  During the heat of summer it just makes a mess anyways.  I've read a decent amount on chain fires and the two theories, muzzle end of the cylinder vs. nipples, both seem to have some merit but again, if your balls seat properly over a lubed wad and your caps fit firmly on your nipples then you shouldn't have any issues.  I do use lube on (not over) bullets, but not on balls.  Bullets generally need to be loaded using a press; make sure you do not spill powder into surrounding chambers- there is speculation that may be one of the reason's so many Walkers blew up, that their conical picket bullets allowed spilled powder to get around the bullets.  No idea if that's true or not but you should always inspect for and clean any spilled errant powder.

Be sure to give your gun a quick cleaning after every couple of cylinders, particularity 1858 style guns, and it makes it easier to clean up at the end of a session.

ETA- Note, the above is only applicable when manually loading each component.  If you are using paper cartridges, especially combustible cartridges, you should put lube over them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's how to make your own felt wads. My go at it, previously posted here:
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=11514.0

Banged out some pistol wads last night. Really easy when you have the right tools and materials!

Tools and materials used:
Battery powered electric drill set on lowest speed.

Hollow Punch Set - 7/16 inch bit from Harbor Freight - Item# 67030
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-hollow-punch-set-67030.html

1/8" Off-White Hard Felt material for WADS - Item # FM18H-1
http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

Cheap cutting board bought at Walmart for this purpose for under $3.00.

As you can see in the 2nd picture, the 7/16 inch punch is perfect for .44 cal Cap & Ball revolvers.

Note I started with another 7/16 inch punch that requires a hammer. The Drill bit type of punch is way easier and way faster.

Edited to add: you can make your own lube out of beeswax and olive oil, beeswax and Crisco, Beeswax and lard, or tallow, or any salad oil.

Put your ingredients in a glass canning jar and nuke it in the microwave.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 2:35:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#11]
This company sells the tool and repriming powder to make your own percussion caps.
The process is tedious though.

https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I don’t use grease or wads on my SS Old army.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#14]
My 1st go at shooting my Pietta 1858 with pyrodex pellets was ball over powder (no lube). I believe that was the original recommendation by Colt. Elmer Keith was one of the 1st to write about using wads in his 1955 book - Sixguns.

https://tinyurl.com/yahbz2gd

When I was researching making my wads I got hung up on the fact that these 7/16 in dia (.4375) punches would result in undersized wads. I was thinking I needed a custom diameter punch.  Turns that was completely unfounded. The 7/16 inch Harbor Fraught punches are perfect. As seen in the picture the dry wad has a perfect fit. Adding whatever home made lube to them expands them a bit more.

I had been shooting with Wonder Wads ($6 per 100pcs) that were completely dry. I was adding a dab of bore butter between the wad and ball to get a little more lube in there. In general - lube keeps the BP fouling soft, prevents flash overs, and allows you to shoot longer. Over ball lube is extremely messy with most of it coming out on to the outside of the gun with the 1st shot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#15]
.454 ball almost rolls out of the cylinder as my holes are a tad bit larger. The .457 bullets seal the holes quite nicely and don’t leave a gap. Of course your having an old army like mine, you already knew this.

Quoted:
Brave man and play the hold me beer game,  hence since the Ruger Old Army requires .457" round ball, to much of a chance of a .454" ball sneaking into the works  to cause a flash over problem .

Plus, from the owners Ruger's owners manual.
Page 15.

F.    Using one of the commercially available bullet greases or other stiff
grease (some automotive water pump greases have proven satisfactory),
apply a liberal coating of grease to each chamber mouth so as to cover
the bullet and seal the chamber. The purpose of this is twofold:
1.   To decrease leading and barrel fouling, and:
2.   To reduce the possibility of multi-chamber discharge (“flash over”)
when firing.

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/oldArmy.pdf
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t use grease or wads on my SS Old army.
Brave man and play the hold me beer game,  hence since the Ruger Old Army requires .457" round ball, to much of a chance of a .454" ball sneaking into the works  to cause a flash over problem .

Plus, from the owners Ruger's owners manual.
Page 15.

F.    Using one of the commercially available bullet greases or other stiff
grease (some automotive water pump greases have proven satisfactory),
apply a liberal coating of grease to each chamber mouth so as to cover
the bullet and seal the chamber. The purpose of this is twofold:
1.   To decrease leading and barrel fouling, and:
2.   To reduce the possibility of multi-chamber discharge (“flash over”)
when firing.

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/oldArmy.pdf
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got punches and have made my own wads but the pre-lubed wads are cheap enough that I just buy them these days (I've even got a can or two of the preformed 30gr pellets although I don't get the best accuracy out of them).  As already noted, if you shoot Rugers as well as other manufacturers guns you need to make sure you use the appropriately sized balls.  I write "Ruger" or "Pietta" on the boxes as soon as I get them home so that I don't mix them up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I only use wads with the one box of conials I have because the came with them.  Other wise I load my .36 51' Navy with .375 RB on top of powder.  Next I smear the front of the RB with Crisco.  I leave a small jar in the fridge and take out to the backyard range when I shoot when its hot out.  But reading your posts above might cut some wads and lube them.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top