Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2018 9:49:41 AM EDT
Is there a gray anodizing dye that is similar to the "Colt gray" of the 70's and early 80s? I've had great luck with the Caswell black for my more modern builds, but I still have a 80% lower to build up and wanted to do an early M16A2 clone build. Would rather not use a spray on finish. I've gotten the anodizing down so would like to continue to go that route.

Pic related
https://preview.ibb.co/btrS6o/Attach44883_20180703_115023.jpg
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Would love more info on this as well.. been awhile since I looked at their website but don't they also offer a couple different grey dyes?  I remember one looked much closer to being correct then the other.  I imagine you could grab both of the greys and try them out and see how well they do on their own and then experiment with adding more black to it or something based on the results you get.

I have wanted to get my own home anodizing setup for a good while now but still need to learn more about it so I am in for whatever knowledge is brought here.  What type of setup do you have and are you doing type 2 or 3?  The anodizing in the pics looks great.  And as good as Moly-Resin looks it still isn't anodizing and won't look the same if being worn naturally.

I also wanted to try to mimic the early bronze look you see on the aged GM & H&R uppers/slip rings etc.  I figure there is quite a bit of practice needed to get the skills down.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
You will have to experiment mixing RIT dye colors to get what you want. Not easy, good luck. RIT does sell a dark gray dye that is close to the color you want, but it's not perfect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top