Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2018 10:43:57 AM EDT
Just got the email with my two tax stamps for SBR my 16 and 17.

I pick down doing a 10" on my 16 and 13" for my 17 as barrel lengths. Before I send them off to get chopped just want to make sure I'm making the right choice on barrel lengths?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Since you already have the stamps, yes.  10" and 13" are the way to go.  If I could do it again, I would have chopped my 17S to the minimum length with a perm attached suppressor mount (13.5", 14", ?) that would keep it a Title I firearm.

Stephen
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since you already have the stamps, yes.  10" and 13" are the way to go.  If I could do it again, I would have chopped my 17S to the minimum length with a perm attached suppressor mount (13.5", 14", ?) that would keep it a Title I firearm.

Stephen
View Quote
Still an option actually. He can write to the ATF telling them he never built it and would like his money back.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Stephen
View Quote
Thanks guys. I haven't done anything yet for the build so I guess it might still be an option. I tried calling the ATF NFA branch but they are closed due to the weather.

Are you saying you wish you did the permanent suppressor mount + chop to get you to 16" just so that you wouldn't have to deal with the SBR route and save the $200 tax stamp?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Still an option actually. He can write to the ATF telling them he never built it and would like his money back.
View Quote
That really an option? I had two SBR's approved in 2016 that I haven't made yet, Made up the serial numbers, was going to do them aForm 1 80% build. Never got around to it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That really an option? I had two SBR's approved in 2016 that I haven't made yet, Made up the serial numbers, was going to do them aForm 1 80% build. Never got around to it.
View Quote
Yep. I did it a few months back on an F1 suppressor that I never bought. I sent them an email at [email protected], with my control number, serial number, and name of my trust that it was under. I also included a copy of the approved "stamp." I had my refund back in about 2 months.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Are you saying you wish you did the permanent suppressor mount + chop to get you to 16" just so that you wouldn't have to deal with the SBR route and save the $200 tax stamp?
View Quote
That is correct.  With a Surefire muzzle adapter installed I am at 15.5" OAL.  I could have lived with a 13.6" barrel to save me the $200 and the pain of it being a Title II firearm.

Stephen
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That really an option? I had two SBR's approved in 2016...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That really an option? I had two SBR's approved in 2016...
I thought I read somewhere around here that they expect you to cancel and request any refund within one year of approval, but I'm not sure that's an actual requirement.
Basically you'll have to put in writing why you wasted everyone's time.

4. Withdrawal of Application. The maker may withdraw the application prior to approval by the submission of a signed, written request to the Chief, NFA Division either by mail to 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405 or by emailing a signed copy to [email protected]. The NFA Division will arrange for a refund of any tax paid.

5. Cancellation of Approved Application. An approved application may be cancelled only if the firearm had not been made or modified. The maker must return the approved application with original tax stamp affixed with a written request for cancellation, citing the need and that the making of the firearm did not take place. The NFA Division will arrange for a refund of any tax paid.
-from the back of your Form 1
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That is correct.  With a Surefire muzzle adapter installed I am at 15.5" OAL.  I could have lived with a 13.6" barrel to save me the $200 and the pain of it being a Title II firearm.

Stephen
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stephen
This is another reason to get an OEM 13" CQC barrel if you can swing it: switch between Title I and Title II at your leisure.

Yes, you do lose the handiness of the CQC when you have the 16" installed, but you don't really gain it all (at least not much) with a cut and pin/weld. You also lose the advantage of the 16" barrel for stretching out to longer distances, not to mention being able to configure your gun to different applications.

I do recognize that it's only a few inches either way and the CQC option costs more (~$1200 for barrel and stamp vs. shop work, shipping, etc.). I tend to place greater weight on option value. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Stephen
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Stephen
It is a great idea and I am embarrassed that I hadn't thought of it before. Looking at the muzzle device I would run, I think I would somewhat similar with a OAL of 15.5" with a 13" barrel. 0.5" longer barrel really isn't much. I really might end up cancelling my SBR once I get the physical stamp in the mail and ask for a refund.

Quoted:

This is another reason to get an OEM 13" CQC barrel if you can swing it: switch between Title I and Title II at your leisure.

Yes, you do lose the handiness of the CQC when you have the 16" installed, but you don't really gain it all (at least not much) with a cut and pin/weld. You also lose the advantage of the 16" barrel for stretching out to longer distances, not to mention being able to configure your gun to different applications.

I do recognize that it's only a few inches either way and the CQC option costs more (~$1200 for barrel and stamp vs. shop work, shipping, etc.). I tend to place greater weight on option value. YMMV.
I am going to do my 16s for sure. Cutting it down to 10" is a big difference. So that I will definitely do. But thinking about the 17, not sure it is worth keeping it as a SBR since I will run it suppressed. Might as well save a stamp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top