Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2024 3:27:51 AM EDT
(and I'm sure to have more dumb questions as time goes on )

So I unboxed my new toy and went over it.  As expected, it appears to be extremely well made and some quick function testing revealed no issues.

I did however notice that with the included magazine, and a few I had bought prior to the gun's arrival, the bolt does not lock back on an empty magazine.  Apparently there are some magazine followers you can get that will provide this functionally.  

Is there any concerns with switching to a mag follow that will perform a bolt hold open after your last shot?

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
That's just the way they work.  Uncle Sam never got around to changing it.  I don't know of any "fix" for it that would not involve modifying the weapon itself.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:52:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sailormilan2] [#2]
The Military 15 round magazines did not have a bolt stop feature. The back of the follower was sloped to allow the bolt to ride over the follow.  When the 30 round magazines came out, the follower was redesigned to stop the bolt.  The followers are interchangeable, so all you have to do is find some 30 rd followers and switch them out. I have seen a couple of 15 rd followers modified by cutting into the "slope" to create a bolt stop.  This was on a couple of mags I purchased, but I never used them, and just changed them out.

FWIW, I just found these on eBay.  They are 3D printed, with Bolt Hold Open. I have no idea how well they will work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126258467695
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRR you said you bought the Keep Shooting M1 Carbine 15 round mags. Those come with what's known as the M1 style mag follower which doesn't allow for a last round bolt hold.

Original issue USGI 15 round mags were like that, the Carbine doesn't have a built in last round lock back like more modern semi auto rifles.

When they introduced the 30 round mags those came with a "squared" follower that locked the bolt back. You'll also find that in commercial 15 round mags. KCI uses the M2 style follower on current production 15 round mags.

I personally think my Carbines work better with the M1 style followers in my 15 round mags.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I had two mags that had the bolt open on them...

You still need to lock the slide to dump the mag out or it will slide forward..

Really no value add..

Use it as it was originally designed for..
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Good feed back everything, appreciate it.

I owned an AK-47 many years ago, so not having a bolt hold isn't the end of the world for me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Fly:

I owned an AK-47 many years ago, so not having a bolt hold isn't the end of the world for me.
View Quote

If you had a AK then a M1 carbine will be easy. I always drop the mag then rack the slide back to make sure the chamber is empty.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome pics OP!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LIONHART:
Awesome pics OP!
View Quote

I know, I'm a horrible Arfcommer

I'll get some pictures taken soon, promise!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]
What’s the going price on the FA’s?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By writerdeluxe2006:
What’s the going price on the FA’s?
View Quote

https://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Carbine-Rifles.aspx
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By The_Fly:

View Quote

HK "Master Race" checking in - "German Engineering Perfection" but lacking a Bolt Hold Open.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#12]
KCI mags will hold the bolt open. I have 10 and they’ve all functioned properly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By cviss:
I had two mags that had the bolt open on them...

You still need to lock the slide to dump the mag out or it will slide forward..

Really no value add..

Use it as it was originally designed for..
View Quote

bullpoopy

No value added?????

Um how about no "click" "oh shit it's empty"

no need to get new followers, just do a vertical cut in the back of the slope and viola bho followers
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:

bullpoopy

No value added?????

Um how about no "click" "oh shit it's empty"

no need to get new followers, just do a vertical cut in the back of the slope and viola bho followers
View Quote

Yes, no added value, nothing gained with a BHO magazine in an M1 Carbine.

And FYI, "viola" is a musical instrument. I think you're looking for voilà.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:14:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ppknut] [#15]
Thought you might find this useful:

Follower Modification
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top