User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2023 11:45:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Very interesting!
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The target shooting mafia ("gravel bellies") and their strangle hold on the ordnance branch's small arms development was destructive.

A rifle fine tuned for Camp Perry isn't what a combat infantryman needs.

Target shooters forced the M-14 on us (versus the T48 FAL or the AR10) and sabotaged the M16 (ball powder instead of IMR).

Target shooters screwed the USMC out of the M1 prewar.

Springfield Armory is their mausoleum.  McNamara ended their reign.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
personally, I love the classed S-stock ladder sight M1903, as my favorite and preferred variant.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Target shooters also forced the M16A2 on us which was not what we needed for late 20th century and 21st century warfare.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you very much for the link!
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, great link.

I always wonder about mine.  I got it as a greek return.  

Blued bolt, marked with a T on the underside.
blued sight leaf
Remington trigger
checkered buttplate iirc
High Standard barrel
smaller hatcher hole

has a small punch mark near the SN but not at all like the common one.  It is below the sn but my rifle is a high number Springfield so my guess is it was a spot check of hardness.  (1.3 mil sn.)
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
personally, I love the classed S-stock ladder sight M1903, as my favorite and preferred variant.
View Quote

Agreed,  S stock, grasping groove stock and the cool ladder sight.  An aftermarket straight stock lacks the style as they never got it right.  The C stocks were variable.  I actually shoot mine with a CMP C stock as my recoil mortise was oil soaked and iirc cracking.  Too soaked to repair there.  It also had greek repair patches that were kind of ugly even if perfectly well fitted.

The other option is a full blown modernized one...the 03A3 with a C stock is probably the best for accurate range work.  My 03A3 Springfield is in a perfect Smith Corona stock.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Whats the SN? I can check in SRS and see if there is a hi. Are there heavy marks on the barrel by the receiver?
View Quote

I have looked, no hit.  

No on the barrel mark and it has a later WW2 round sight collar that went on with the WW2 era barrel.  That is another thing I do not like about mine, the lack of lightening flats and grasping grooves are key parts of the look.

Mine is a 1920’s interwar receiver as far as I recall.   Without opening the safe again it is 1,321,377.

Years ago that search engine was open to the public.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 3:32:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The target shooting mafia ("gravel bellies") and their strangle hold on the ordnance branch's small arms development was destructive.

A rifle fine tuned for Camp Perry isn't what a combat infantryman needs.

Target shooters forced the M-14 on us (versus the T48 FAL or the AR10) and sabotaged the M16 (ball powder instead of IMR).

Target shooters screwed the USMC out of the M1 prewar.

Springfield Armory is their mausoleum.  McNamara ended their reign.
View Quote
So when are we gonna have the "How I would have designed the M1903" build thread?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Excellent website.  It is what I used when I was searching for a USMC 03.  

Mine is a 23 or 24 built RIA receiver, punch mark before the ser.#, USMC Sedgley 43 barrel and has a stippled butt plate.

I would not have bought it if not for that site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top