Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2018 10:05:12 PM EDT
So all I’ve found so far is a $250-300 setup or a $25-35 cheap set from amazon. Is there any inbetween, decent quality without costin a few hundred dollars. Needing one with a Kenwood dual pin for Yaesu or baofeng radios. Thx
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]
SCOTT....used to make a good one for S.C.B.A's
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Where would I find it online. Did a quick search and didn’t find anything named Scott
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Any reason you specifically want a throat mic?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:02:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any reason you specifically want a throat mic?
View Quote
This.

LOOK cool as fuck. About worthless if you want people to understand you without a lot of effort.

I got my Peltor tm cheap on eBay, you just have to watch for them to come up as other people get frustrated and offload them...
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

LOOK cool as fuck. About worthless if you want people to understand you without a lot of effort.
View Quote
This.

I tried a throat mic years ago and everyone told me that I had low volume on my transmissions when I was using it.  It ended up going in the "things I shoudn't have bought, but did" box.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Mostly was hoping that it would be more cost effective that a full peltor setup and it could be used with multiple helmets. May just have to look at a peltor setup after all.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mostly was hoping that it would be more cost effective that a full peltor setup and it could be used with multiple helmets. May just have to look at a peltor setup after all.
View Quote
Hand mic with an in ear monitor (earbud) would be my pick for a budget setup that you want to keep quiet.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hand mic with an in ear monitor (earbud) would be my pick for a budget setup that you want to keep quiet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This forever.

I've used tactical ear gadgets stuff for years on patrol.   Seem to last pretty well.  They make a throat mic but I've no experience with it in particular.   Their other options are gtg.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This forever.

I've used tactical ear gadgets stuff for years on patrol.   Seem to last pretty well.  They make a throat mic but I've no experience with it in particular.   Their other options are gtg.
View Quote
Do you have an example of this? Seems like a great option
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you have an example of this? Seems like a great option
View Quote
One of these (pick a brand doesn't really  matter as long as it has a jack for an earphone), I personally spent a little extra money on an IP54 rated handmic since it was going to be exposed to the weather, but cheap hand mics usually have a headphone jack as well.

Then a cheap set of these.  Most of the mics are going to have mono jacks so you'll probably only get audio from one of the earbuds.  I bought a sub 10 dollar set from wal mart and cut off the side that didn't have audio.

This will work far better than a "Good Quality budget throat mic" because such an animal does not exist.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

One of these (pick a brand doesn't really  matter as long as it has a jack for an earphone), I personally spent a little extra money on an IP54 rated handmic since it was going to be exposed to the weather, but cheap hand mics usually have a headphone jack as well.
https://hamgear.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/speaker-microphones.jpg

Then a cheap set of these.  Most of the mics are going to have mono jacks so you'll probably only get audio from one of the earbuds.  I bought a sub 10 dollar set from wal mart and cut off the side that didn't have audio.

https://cdn3.volusion.com/ocdyz.qurhw/v/vspfiles/photos/AE-215-2.jpg?1487711421

This will work far better than a "Good Quality budget throat mic" because such an animal does not exist.
View Quote
Somewhat relevant to this thread, I have a writeup on the use of these hand mics. Many of the things I wrote about in there are relevant here in terms of setup and checking for a quality mic unit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

I tried a throat mic years ago and everyone told me that I had low volume on my transmissions when I was using it.  It ended up going in the "things I shoudn't have bought, but did" box.
View Quote
You're not the only one with that box.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://hamgear.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/speaker-microphones.jpg

https://cdn3.volusion.com/ocdyz.qurhw/v/vspfiles/photos/AE-215-2.jpg?1487711421

View Quote
Thank you for this info. I didn’t know hand mics had the port. I will be looking into these for sure.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#15]
We issue these at work for patrol to plug into the motorola shoulder mics.  They seem to work well for concerts and such so you can still hear the radio.  Helmet and ear pro goes right over top without issue.  David

ear piece
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top