Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2020 9:10:25 AM EDT
I can not remember seeing these this cheap?

$22.99 $5 shipping.

New customers get an additional 10% off? (Pop up when you first visit site).

$20.69 after discount.

https://www.gtdist.com/ruger-mini-14-223-cal-30-round-magazine-90035.html
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Well there went a quick $100
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well there went a quick $100
View Quote
LOL. They must have got hit a bunch of times. They raised the price to $25.99 from $22.99.

Some sites have a auto feature that adjusts price.

Hope all that wanted them got them at the lower price PLUS the extra 10% off.

What was your total shipped all said and done for how many mags Surveyor? I did not order since I have a bunch.

@Surveyor75
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#3]
If they were factory 20rd mags I would've grabbed some.
I had issues with my 2 factory Ruger 30rd mags.

It's been a number of years since I used them. IIRC you really have to load them into the gun with the bolt locked open.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Even $25 is a good price for 30 rounders. These guys have 20 rounders for $24, their year round price, not just a temporary sale price. I bought a dozen of the Ruger 20's for my Mini -30 last summer.
https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=52903
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#5]
$23.39 now vs $20.69 earlier.

Using 10% off.

Still a nice price.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Up to $39.99 now. I shoulda checked here sooner!
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If they were factory 20rd mags I would've grabbed some.
I had issues with my 2 factory Ruger 30rd mags.

It's been a number of years since I used them. IIRC you really have to load them into the gun with the bolt locked open.
View Quote
I have had no luck with Ruger 30s in the AC556. 100% luck with the 20s, but 30s just never seem to do a full dump.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have had no luck with Ruger 30s in the AC556. 100% luck with the 20s, but 30s just never seem to do a full dump.
View Quote
you clearly have issues with your AC-556. the 30 factory is the gold standard for the AC-556 if they do not run it is your weapon.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LOL. They must have got hit a bunch of times. They raised the price to $25.99 from $22.99.

Some sites have a auto feature that adjusts price.

Hope all that wanted them got them at the lower price PLUS the extra 10% off.

What was your total shipped all said and done for how many mags Surveyor? I did not order since I have a bunch.

@Surveyor75
View Quote
@BRN-180

Shit I don't recall I think it was 105+/- I did get the 10%off. 5 mags.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

If the mags are otherwise OK, i.e., body not dented, and feed ramps not dinged, then try some new AR-15 springs, bought from a trusted source.  My springs fit perfectly in my old Ruger 30-rd mags, and problem solved.  Midway and Brownells also sell new Ruger followers, in the event the followers are worn out.

@NAM
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If the mags are otherwise OK, i.e., body not dented, and feed ramps not dinged, then try some new AR-15 springs, bought from a trusted source.  My springs fit perfectly in my old Ruger 30-rd mags, and problem solved.  Midway and Brownells also sell new Ruger followers, in the event the followers are worn out.

@NAM
View Quote

All the 30s I own are brand new, freshly pulled out of the box (recent mfg). That is, they've failed when brand new. I contacted Ruger and their answer has always been "ship them back and we'll look at them". I've never bothered; the mags get tossed to the side. I have used AR followers on old pre-ban mags back in the day, but haven't tried swapping springs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All the 30s I own are brand new, freshly pulled out of the box (recent mfg). That is, they've failed when brand new. I contacted Ruger and their answer has always been "ship them back and we'll look at them". I've never bothered; the mags get tossed to the side. I have used AR followers on old pre-ban mags back in the day, but haven't tried swapping springs.
View Quote

With times being a bit uncertain, as they are now, and perhaps becoming more uncertain in the future, I suggest shipping them back for examination/replacement.  It will cost a few bucks, but at least you will get back some NIB Ruger mags.  

IIRC, I have heard of some OEM Ruger mag release levers which were a bit out of spec, not to mention aftermarket mag release levers having such problems much more often.  Probably more a matter of "tolerance-stacking" than the actual components being badly-made.  It is also a possibility that the magazine-mounted "catch" might be a little "off", so to speak.  This is rare, but it might be worthwhile to order a new mag-release and its' pin and spring from Ruger, and compare the length of the new mag release it to the existing one.  Perhaps shortening one of them little-by-little, might solve your problem.  OTOH, perhaps the engagement surfaces for the mag latch, on the magazines, might be a little "off".  In the case of new 30-rd mags, compare the engagement surface on the problem mags with GTG Ruger 20-rd mags.  Perhaps some slight filing/adjustment of the mag-latch engagement surface on the problematic mags might be called-for.   Again, IIRC, I have heard of this being done, with some success.

A very close examination of the "stud" into which the round hole of the magazine is first inserted, during the "rocking-in" process might be worthwhile.  There are only a few causes of failure with new, ostensibly GTG mags, and this is one of them.  BTW, the mating holes in the magazines on the front of the mags might be misplaced, so all the more reason for returning the mags.

It would be not at all surprising to find that any Ruger 30-rd mag needed to be loaded to less-than-full capacity in order to operate properly.  This has happened with 30-rd mags in the AR, on occasion.  This might be an inherent issue with such mags, and might also be a problem whose root cause is a worn operating spring.  In the case of a worn operating spring, the 20-rd mags might be expected to not demonstrate such problems, YET, due to their lesser spring pressure acting on the bolt.  Perhaps buying a new operating spring from Ruger might be worth trying.

Between returning the mags, and replacing the operating spring, as well as close examination of the mag catch/mag catch engagement point on the problematic mags, I hope your problems can be solved.  The cost of all the possible "fixes" is far less than the cost of the useless mags you now have sitting on a shelf.

There is one other possible cause of magazine problems in the Mini-14/30, and that is an overlap of the receiver "legs" in relation to the metal stock reinforcement.  Such an overlap is a factory fitting flaw, but IMHO usually more easily/inexpensively repaired by the owner vice returning the entire rifle to Ruger.

Look inside the mag-well, and determine if the "legs" of the receiver butt up, squarely, to the metal stock reinforcement.  If so, good.  If there is an over-ride, one way or the other, contact me for instructions.  My second hand Mini-14 had such a problem, and likely the reason why the original owner got rid of it.

Good Luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top