Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2018 11:07:07 AM EDT
Gents,

Is it just me or we currently in the best time period to buy MP5 clones?  Seems to me there are a lot of good options out there with relatively good track records and new manufacturers springing up fairly regularly.  I remember 10 years ago getting an MP5 clone built was hit or miss at best due to parts availability and a lack of skilled builders.

Man it is good times.  Just wish we could get HK to make cheaper mags - the market is there!

Spooky
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#1]
When I first started looking at MP5 clones the only options were a HK 94 or Todd Bailey. There are way more options now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the bug for an MP5 clone.  Any opinion on the Zenith MKE Z-5RS?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I love mine, it's all 922R/SBR'd up.  For me the Zenith was the only logical answer from a features standpoint and a value standpoint it cannot be beat.  Runs like a top
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, tis a good time for roller lockers.  I wonder if I still have the Ohio rapid fire certificate from that group buy fiasco.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Things are way better now. The platform is still running strong despite its age, as evidenced by the number of manufacturers making them now. It can only be a good thing, as parts, mags, and accessories will probably increase as well, not to mention the options one has in choosing a manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Man it is good times.  Just wish we could get HK to make cheaper mags - the market is there!

Spooky
View Quote
ETS is scheduled to release mp5 mags in May...in 4 different capacities no less. Clear as always. They should be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ETS is scheduled to release mp5 mags in May...in 4 different capacities no less. Clear as always. They should be awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spooky
Not holding my breath
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#8]
C'mon BP, there's no need to be a negative Nelly! ETS has delivered cool stuff in the past. It's not like it's the Serbu SU-15 or the Glock carbine here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Once a commercially available collapsing brace hits the market and if PSA can hit the mark with price/quality I expect the MP5 scene to really take off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Another question:

Which do you think is a better deal?

PTR 9ct with arm brace for $1899.  Made in USA.

http://www.kellyenterprises.net/firearms/ptr-industries-sniper-rifle/ptr-9ct-9mm-mlok-pistol-w-armbrace-bag-and-accessories-detail.html

Zenith Z-5RS without brace for $1724.  Made in Turkey.

http://www.kellyenterprises.net/new-firearms-promotions/mke-zenith-z-5rs-9mm-pistol-wide-handguard-detail.html
View Quote
You can also get the PTR without a brace for $1699 out the door, which is what I did. I'm very happy with it, very happy, I mean really happy. I then bought a non-folding SB Tac brace for it on GB because I wanted the classic look. So, with the brace, I had $1799 in it. I've since added a few goodies like a red dot and a looped rear pin.

I was indecisive over which of the more easily available MP copies (PTR, POF, Zenith) I was going to go with until I had a long talk with Chuck at Kelly. I think you'll be happy with either the PTR or the Zenith.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember Max Cap dropping the price on their 40 rounders
way back when. I wish I had bought more, but my 94 sits
in the back of the safe since there are so many other cool
9mm PCC's. The 94 has been relegated to an heirloom for
my family.

I think they were selling them for $16.95 each for a while.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Uh No, no way it's even close.  The golden age was back when you could (and I did) buy NIB HK 94's for $400.  Some will lie and say that's equivalent to the current cost today but that's BS.  I was in college working part time and living in a roach infested efficiency apartment when I bought my first HK for that price.

Earl
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I personally am interested in the PSA offering coming in the future.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, I doubt I'd buy the PSA one, but I do like the idea that PSA might put some pricing pressure on the rest of the competition. MKE/Zenith makes a damn good mp5, but another $100-200 cheaper would be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:.

Spooky
View Quote
You’re welcome stack em deep run em hard
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I read about the future release and watched a video from SHOT, also read this:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/11/hk-psa-palmetto-state-armory/
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, I doubt I'd buy the PSA one, but I do like the idea that PSA might put some pricing pressure on the rest of the competition. MKE/Zenith makes a damn good mp5, but another $100-200 cheaper would be awesome.
View Quote
PSA will be a lifetime warranty my good sir.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Another question:

Which do you think is a better deal?

PTR 9ct with arm brace for $1899.  Made in USA.

http://www.kellyenterprises.net/firearms/ptr-industries-sniper-rifle/ptr-9ct-9mm-mlok-pistol-w-armbrace-bag-and-accessories-detail.html

Zenith Z-5RS without brace for $1724.  Made in Turkey.

http://www.kellyenterprises.net/new-firearms-promotions/mke-zenith-z-5rs-9mm-pistol-wide-handguard-detail.html
View Quote
I know someone who just got their F1 approved and won’t need their brace anymore

I have 2 zeniths and they run great.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

PSA will be a lifetime warranty my good sir.
View Quote
That would be a good thing, but I'd rather have one from a mil contractor. if they turn out to be shit hot, it's possible I'll get one... I'd rather just have the pricing pressure though, if it comes to anything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Uh No, no way it's even close.  The golden age was back when you could (and I did) buy NIB HK 94's for $400.  Some will lie and say that's equivalent to the current cost today but that's BS.  I was in college working part time and living in a roach infested efficiency apartment when I bought my first HK for that price.

Earl
View Quote
I agree.  An HK94 was on my wish list at the time, since I had shot a converted HK94 in 1985, but I never had the money and then Bush 41 cut off imports.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Watch Gunbroker like a hawk and you might get a deal on a used MKE.

99% happy with this older AT94P.  So far it shoots all 147gr flatpoints I have tried using KCI mags.

Link Posted: 4/19/2018 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

99% happy with this older AT94P.  So far it shoots all 147gr flatpoints I have tried using KCI mags.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151953216@N05/1915Yb
View Quote
I'm happy with my early ATI imported MKE also. Other than some small changes they made for Zenith, they are essentially the same guns as what's currently being imported.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I love mine, it's all 922R/SBR'd up.  For me the Zenith was the only logical answer from a features standpoint and a value standpoint it cannot be beat.  Runs like a top
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ditto on everything he said. ^^^
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Earl
View Quote
Yep.

The best times for MP5 were pre-86 when you could get a HK-94 and have it converted to MP5 for less than $1000.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep.

The best times for MP5 were pre-86 when you could get a HK-94 and have it converted to MP5 for less than $1000.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah, tis a good time for roller lockers.  I wonder if I still have the Ohio rapid fire certificate from that group buy fiasco.
View Quote
Hahaha!  I was trying to remember the name of that company out of Ohio...  I've got that certificate around here somewhere.  I bought a lot of AK kits from them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Earl
Yep.

I'm still thinking now is pretty damn good.  Lots of options, tons of knowledge out there to take advantage of now.

That was a cosmic process in the pre-internet days - not as much knowledge readily available as there is today.  You had to know someone who knew someone back then.  But I would have loved to been in on that action!

I do remember seeing an HK94 with the shroud and VFG at the first gun show I ever went to (in a school gym no less).  Also had a guy offer me a full conversion package in the late 90s for $15k - should have bought that and not a used Dodge Ram...

Spooky
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The PTR 9CT is a very nice unit and comes with a Full auto carrier and is NFA Ready for ( SBR ) Short Barrel rifle conversion. The Zenith series is very solid but does not offer those features. Below is a pic of the PTR
with a SB Tactical side folder brace. SBT5  

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/ptr91%209ct%20(14%20of%2016).jpg
View Quote
The PTR does look pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah yeah, pre 86 was awesome. I think the key point of the thread is that it's likely that things are never going to be better in the future...in fact it's much more likely to get worse. It's prolly just a matter of time before imports get screwed, or braces get screwed, or high caps get banned or perhaps all of the above. No, we can't get full auto in 2018 (cheaply), but we have it pretty darn good otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The PTR 9CT is a very nice unit and comes with a Full auto carrier and is NFA Ready for ( SBR ) Short Barrel rifle conversion. The Zenith series is very solid but does not offer those features. Below is a pic of the PTR
with a SB Tactical side folder brace. SBT5  

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/ptr91%209ct%20(14%20of%2016).jpg
View Quote
nice to see they extended the optic mount a little, I thought the shorter one looked a little weird.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hahaha!  I was trying to remember the name of that company out of Ohio...  I've got that certificate around here somewhere.  I bought a lot of AK kits from them.
View Quote
Ohio rapid fire. I have a certificate too. What a fiasco that was!
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Question for those in the know... How are the Bobcat BW89 clones? I have the opportunity to buy one locally, and I've always wanted a clone (or real one if the opportunity came). Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/786/40523374885_92fb7fa7b9.jpg
View Quote
What method did you use to get the tailhook on the A3 arms?  I've been interested in doing something like that myself since they are taking so long with the factory collapsible tailhook, but the tutorials and examples I've generally seen seem kinda janky.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Earl
View Quote
I paid 800 for mine brand new as an A3.  I paid exactly the same thing for an HK P7m13 at the time. I sold the P7, have the 94.  Bad thing back then is there were no surplus magazines or parts. HK 91 mags even were not cheap. I had a 41 I bought in the 70s and I slowly collected mags for it. Almost made me cry in the era of 1.00-1.50 mags...I have 200 now lol. Pre 88, HKs were known but rarely seen in the wild..
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I just took my MP5K out for a test drive.  I enjoy running it.  Two mags without a hitch and on target every shot!
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Question for those in the know... How are the Bobcat BW89 clones? I have the opportunity to buy one locally, and I've always wanted a clone (or real one if the opportunity came). Thanks in advance!
View Quote
They seem to be hit or miss from what i have heard. I have a BW89and it had extraction issues from the factory. Not knowing what I do now, I sent it back and they replaced the extractor spring. It has been 100% since then. I now know it takes about 10 seconds to swap the spring myself.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#40]
It truly is a great time for mp5 action! Who wants to buy a neutered hk when you can buy the real, licensed product for less?
Personally, I'm still waiting for Zenith to bring in more z5p's. I should have bought one when I ordered my z5rs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tritto.   Wait, that can't be right.    What these guys said, yea, that's better.

Seriously though - the only problem I have with my Z5RS SBR is that it is addictive, now I really want the K version as well.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Tritto.   Wait, that can't be right.    What these guys said, yea, that's better.

Seriously though - the only problem I have with my Z5RS SBR is that it is addictive, now I really want the K version as well.  
View Quote
Agreed

I snatched up a k as soon as I could. I was on 3 waitlists.

Stamp pending
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#43]
What mag is that?
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What mag is that?
View Quote
It’s a unicorn made by elves in a magical city called nope.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What mag is that?
View All Quotes
MKE polymer Smoke.

They’ve run 100%, and we’re 2/$60.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

MKE polymer Smoke.

View Quote
Never seen those, I though it was those elusive ETS mags they keep teasing that will probably never happen.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Never seen those, I though it was those elusive ETS mags they keep teasing that will probably never happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MKE polymer Smoke.

Atlantic firearms had them for a minute, but they’ve been sold out for months.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
To my knowledge, ETS has never once failed to deliver on a product. They've had delays on release dates, sure, but the goods always come out. If they say they are making them, and they've posted multiple pics of them now, they are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top