Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2018 7:44:54 PM EDT
I got a set of Mepro tritium sights for $44 the other day.  And now I'm finding out that this isn't simple.  I have an old Series 70 Colt with a narrow tenon.  So I had to thin down the tenon on the sight.  That took me about 2 hrs, but I did a pretty clean job of it, and the sight now drops down into the slide with a little wiggling.

I made a little anvil that the blade fits into for when I stake it.  Anvil is a 1/4" thick square of metal with a deep groove cut it in, and the sight blade drops into the groove.  My plan is to apply loctite to the sight, assemble onto the slide.  Put my anvil over the sight, and tape it to the slide so I can flip everything over, and clamp the slide in a vise with the anvil is supporting the front end.  Then tap away with the staking tool.  The front sight will be supported on it's shoulder rather than the tip of the blade.  Does this sound about right?

From what I've read on the interwebs, this is going to either work, or not work.

Thoughts?

Here's the sight upside-down in the anvil, so you're looking at the tenon.  Hopefully this will keep me from cracking the vial.  That tenon was .125" wide originally.  Is now .057".  Not too shabby, eh?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#1]
That looks good. What does your staking tool look like?

You don't need a vice necessarily. You just need your holder on something with as little "give" as possible, like a cement slab (the floor, even). Make sure something the height of your support block is at the rear of the slide for support. Otherwise the front sight will not actually be "flat" in position while you stake it. Use masking tape to prevent marring the slide. I've always used multiple layers.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I'm feeling a little less apprehensive about it.

I'll have to get back to you on the staking tool.  It's not here yet.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the home brew stalker I got on the cheap broke shortly after I got started. Swing up to the gun shop to ask if they had a guy that could take it but no go.

I ended up up doing the wrong thing and went at it with a skinny flat punch. Took me about 30 min to carefully spread the tennon face out smooth and another nervous 10 minutes with a dremil to finish it.

And guess what?  I got three bright lights and a tight front sight!!!  Miller time
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Made the grips myself.   Ole Loudmouf is back in action!!

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top