Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2018 1:30:53 PM EDT
Hey guys ! Im wondering what the actual life on the tube's for gen 2+ are these days.

Like armasight, Armasight NYX-14 ( https://www.optics-trade.eu/int/night-vision-optics/armasight-nyx-14.html )

I hear 5.000 hours often, and that the FOM drops quickly after 1000 hours.

But then others say 10.000 hours, so what is actually true ?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Armasight NYX-14.  I have no idea the hours on it but it looks crystal clear. I bought it off ebay and I found it was left on when I unpackaged it.  I have not provided any value to your question but I am curious now what the answer is and whether I should worry about the life of my tube.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
And this was a gen two ?

Would you be able to share some pictures or video through it ?

Regards, Stian
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It's safe to assume 5000 hours and most probably it's 10000.

I would heavily suggest opting for the Armasight Nyx14 PRO model instead. Lighter weight and optically a lot better. Distortion does start to annoy you.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Gen2 tube life really depends on the manufacturer. Gen2 tubes can be anywhere from 2000 hours to around 15000 hours or more. Most current ones would be 5000 hours to 10000 hours as was already said.

Gen2 loses performance at a fairly linear rate - so it's not sudden and the FOM isn't going to quickly drop out as was suggested. What will happen is that gain will reduce over the 10000 hours. Gen3 also loses performance over it's 10000 hours too... However it's non-linear due to difference mechanisms of failure.  Gen3 tends to be flatter at first, then dies very suddenly, so present performance is no indication of tube life.

David
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I literally have 30+ year old mx9916s that work just fine. I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Who even comes close to those hours if not deployed and using them eight hours a day every day for years?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who even comes close to those hours if not deployed and using them eight hours a day every day for years?
View Quote
Security cameras using image tubes.

I've seen some worn out tubes from security cameras before.

David
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Security cameras using image tubes.

I've seen some worn out tubes from security cameras before.

David
View Quote
Sure, I can see that, but for the typical user here? They likely will never wear out a tube.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sure, I can see that, but for the typical user here? They likely will never wear out a tube.
View Quote
I've seen a few of those also - keep in mind that the lifespan of 10,000 hrs is typically based on a LOT of starlight, some moonlight and almost no dawn/dusk. People who use them a lot in high-light and polluted light environments will experience tube lifespans closer to early Gen2 devices, so it's not given that they will last as long.

A lot of people see the MTTF and assume these tubes are like a lightbulb - they are not. There's an entire paper on how they calculate the average conditions for 10,000 hours in a jungle environment or similar floating around.

Though I say this cautiously - tubes are meant to be used. Under all circumstances where they offer better use. Even these shortened lifespans are far longer than most people will ever use.

David
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top