User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Friends don't let friends buy steel plates. They should be the first thing to go if you own them!
View Quote

They were...  

Already started looking for some IIIa plates.  If anyone has suggestions which to get or not get, I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:  They were...  

Already started looking for some IIIa plates.  If anyone has suggestions which to get or not get, I'd appreciate it.
View Quote

You're wanting Level 3a (pistol) plates or Level 3 (rifle) plates?  Poly Level 3 plates are light enough to float.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking just the pistol plates.  But a friend of mine from my Army days told me I should think about rifle plates.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was thinking just the pistol plates.  But a friend of mine from my Army days told me I should think about rifle plates.
View Quote

My personal advice = get Plates rated for M855 rounds!
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]
44, 6'3", cancer survivor with 22 years in LE.  Two bad knee injuries on the job have caused me to not be as mobile and as fast as I would like to be and in turn made me a little heavier than I should be.  Part of it is an issue with my endocrine system and part of it is my lack of ability to be as active as I want to be.  

I have adopted a less is more campaign and try to be as "gray" as possible for a 6'3" 300 lb man as I can be.  I will have no problem switching roles and being the best I can in that role as I age.  Nothing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to be 45 this year.

My entire physical fitness regiment is essentially built around my physical issues (shoulder, knee, forearm, etc.).   Rehabilitation both before and after exercise is like 80% of my focus.  Nutrition has never been more paramount for me.

Learn to listen to your body. One thing I have learned is that I have to be really conscious of the fact that my workout routine needs to be flexible. I can't just have a fixed workout routine that run the same way each week. If my knee starts to have pain or my shoulder starts to give me issues I need to adapt to that and work around it so that I don't make them worse.  I will use straps and bands and sleeves and you name it as well.  The Foam roller is my friend.

It takes daily effort, but if you are willing to put in a few hours a day thinking about your health and acting on it then it will keep you combat effective for years and will contribute to a longer more active and happy life.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good either. Maybe you're not ready to jump into a hardcore training regiment, fine, do at least 10,000 steps a day and cut down on consuming calories from fat and drinks.  If you don't drink you calories, eat only low fat things (even if you just eat low fat Monday through Friday), and get in 10,000 steps a day things will slowly get better for you.   The main thing is that you do something, because if you don't drop weight you will not be a combat effective man no matter how much knowledge you have and skill you have acquired, which would be a sad waste.  We need the grey haired pipe hitters to be fit.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2022 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Friends don't let friends buy steel plates. They should be the first thing to go if you own them!
View Quote

They're good for cardio exercise.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’m 33 and already decided if things do get bad, I won’t be wearing plates. Too heavy. With limited resources it makes you double the water you are carrying. I don’t sweat bad without them, but with them im dripping. There won’t be any hospitals patching me up if I get a little booger. Infection will kill you. So fuck plates. The extra weight I save from plates turned into extra mags in my assault pack. Im loaded out essentially like a Vietnam MACVSOG. If it doesn’t go bang I don’t need it. I have Camo that will let me hide from anything but a thermal, I have clothes that make me look like an unarmed no threat douche bag. Both allow me to be lethal and move. I can have 7 mags mags on me and look harmless. There are people your age still capable of hauling the weight. You are still valuable. Just trim down some non essential things. Maybe have two bags. An assault pack, and survival pack. This will lessen your load and give you the capability to move when needed. Lots of things to consider but remember this. You’re never out of the fight.
View Quote

Good post
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top