Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2022 10:15:28 AM EDT
Disclaimer:  I'm not whining or complaining.  I'm looking for advice on life after 50.

Last October was the big 5-0 for me.  As I get older and start to ache more, I find that the idea of putting on body armor and "gearing up" to train with my guns is less than desirable.  The aches and pains from 17 years in the Infantry and 3 years as a DOD contractor are catching up.   I'm almost to the point that I'm considering getting rid of most of the pouches, bags, and other things I've acquired.  Does anyone have some advice?
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm 64, and realize there are things I can do that don't involve being the pointy end of the spear. keeping an eye on things, being able to supply a meal or a resupply to those out in harms way is pretty valuable.
Over watch on crops or livestock, there are lots of thinks that need to be done to support those who will be "actively participating" in any shtf scenario.
Nothing wrong with switching roles as you age.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m 49.  In the reality of things, we will grow old dignifyingly (hopefully).  Nothing we prepare for will ever be necessary. But if so, like someone else pointed out, we will fill static roles on our property, or support roles amongst a community.

But I’ll check back in 20 years.  Things may be different. I’ll probably be content to just sit on the sidelines.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#3]
As I get older, I can see the writing on the wall - which brings the above posts into focus. The tasks listed in the above posts are necessary and needed.  And if the chips are down, it doesn't matter how old you are if your index finger is still in good shape.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm 64, and realize there are things I can do that don't involve being the pointy end of the spear. keeping an eye on things, being able to supply a meal or a resupply to those out in harms way is pretty valuable.
Over watch on crops or livestock, there are lots of thinks that need to be done to support those who will be "actively participating" in any shtf scenario.
Nothing wrong with switching roles as you age.

View Quote
A year older, but that's pretty much my plan as well.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe start thinking more about long distance engagement and E&E rather than CQB, and also consider lightening your overall load (not just gear).  A 16" mid length rifle with an ACOG can do some serious damage in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, and a micro chest rig (Tactical Tailor Mini Mav or Spiritus Micro Fight, for example) with 3 extra rifle mags can give you enough ammo to keep an adversary worried about his or her next move for as long as it takes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Or... As a counterpoint, you can spit in the face of father time and just train harder

(that's my approach at 53)

I mean, you won't have the same capabilities as you did at 30, but there is no reason to stop pushing

As Cam Hanes said-Make pain your friend and you will never be alone
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#7]
After two decades using the most inferior gear The Suck issued us its a whole new world being able to acquire the latest & greatest NV, Thermal, high end rifles decked out in the most advanced stuff on the market! After thousands of trial and error I've fortunately found myself in the position of having everything I dreamed of - except for a set of GPNVG-18s of course!

Like myself, I'm sure you had some access to NV Gear and struggled to see anything thru the grainy Green Phosphor tubes. The first time I tried a buddies White Phosphor Duals it was a whole new world - which definitely drained all my tax free combat pay w DTNVS and a PVS14. Add a small thermal and you truly have shit the regular Grunt Units lack bigtime!

Not entirely sure what you're looking for but rest assured that if you have the funds for it - you'll be able to get anything you dream of regardless of age! Also, if you're interested in an increase to any current Disability Rating shoot me an email. Having extra income to supplement your acquisition is incredibly helpful.

No doubt in my Military Mind all those miles humping sub par packs and gear did damage to our bodies. I like to pay it forward.

Have a safe 4th guys!

Semper Fi......
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm 68 and can still shoot 5" groups at 1000. I can NOT grab 100 lbs. of stuff and hump three days and then go into the fire. What I can do is NOT be a burden, help where possible, clear roads, drive equipment, weld, cook and do anything else I'm physically capable of. I don't feel bad for getting old as I have assets/resources that veery few younger men have. We ALL have something to contribute and a GREAT commander understands this and takes advantage of it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m 33 and already decided if things do get bad, I won’t be wearing plates. Too heavy. With limited resources it makes you double the water you are carrying. I don’t sweat bad without them, but with them im dripping. There won’t be any hospitals patching me up if I get a little booger. Infection will kill you. So fuck plates. The extra weight I save from plates turned into extra mags in my assault pack. Im loaded out essentially like a Vietnam MACVSOG. If it doesn’t go bang I don’t need it. I have Camo that will let me hide from anything but a thermal, I have clothes that make me look like an unarmed no threat douche bag. Both allow me to be lethal and move. I can have 7 mags mags on me and look harmless. There are people your age still capable of hauling the weight. You are still valuable. Just trim down some non essential things. Maybe have two bags. An assault pack, and survival pack. This will lessen your load and give you the capability to move when needed. Lots of things to consider but remember this. You’re never out of the fight.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the idea of running with no plates.  I was reading about a man who runs soft armor in his plate carrier. But i didn't think much about it.  Thanks for the insight and knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm 55

I run once or twice a week. Elliptical the other days. You still get the cardio workout without the strain on the knees and joints. Other than actual full gear training activities, I don't wear a PC while working out.

Staying in the best shape I can without injuring myself is my main goal at this point

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like the idea of running with no plates.  I was reading about a man who runs soft armor in his plate carrier. But i didn't think much about it.  Thanks for the insight and knowledge.
View Quote

I run 3a+. Many rifle rounds, all pistols. My PC weighs under 5 pounds. I’m not high speed but I’d rather not have holes in me if I can help it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#13]
In my useless opinion here, I believe everyone one of us here should at least own one set of quality plates while we're still able to buy them. It's the nutjobs doing these insane shootings who wear body armor that will eventually get them banned for the rest of us!

Don't sweat (pun) the expiration date bullshit on them, especially if made using any composite material. I won't even go into all the clichés like "better to have it.." etc - buy a set rated for M855 at least and a simple carrier that fits you properly and stick it away - or better yet train with it! Mark my words, pretty soon "theyll" start saying things such as armor and ballistic helmets aren't part of the 2nd Ammendment. Enjoy your 4th gents!
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#14]
54 - .mil and contracting up 'til 2006. Luckily, no serious damage from .mil (Rucks, Jumps, etc...) If you are indeed jacked up from an injury, not much you can do, other than work around it. But if your nutrition and training (as in, you don't currently have 10%-15% Body-fat and PT regularly) aren't up to stuff - you will be amazed at what taking off a lot of body-fat will do for how you feel. Excess weight, 24/7, with every step you take - will destroy joints/the body. I too have stopped the Bench/Deads/Squats type stuff and switched to Body-weight stuff - Pushups, Pull-ups, Burpees, X-Country Ski Machine,  etc... at my age. Quick and dirty fat-loss formula: Get on a scale, look at what you weigh, add a Zero - that's your Calorie limit, use an App to track. Protein intake in grams, is your weight.  

If your Testosterone level is low (99% chance it is) - consider TRT.

Luckily, any excitement would probably look like Iraq, vs A-Stan (unless you live in the middle of nowhere).
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I am 52, starting to get back in shape. It’s harder than say when I was in my thirties but doable. There are things I just can’t do now that I did when I was thirty though. I still use the same gear but I’ve switched up a few things like initial load out. I am still full time LE but in a less physical position. Nearing retirement in 2.5 years but I realized I need to still get back in shape and maintain or I will just be a lump waiting to die. I refuse to give up like that. Staying healthy should be your first preparation. All else is meaningless. I’m no Rambo but I am trying to better my body. Not perfect, not terrible either!
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In my useless opinion here, I believe everyone one of us here should at least own one set of quality plates while we're still able to buy them. It's the nutjobs doing these insane shootings who wear body armor that will eventually get them banned for the rest of us!

Don't sweat (pun) the expiration date bullshit on them, especially if made using any composite material. I won't even go into all the clichés like "better to have it.." etc - buy a set rated for M855 at least and a simple carrier that fits you properly and stick it away - or better yet train with it! Mark my words, pretty soon "theyll" start saying things such as armor and ballistic helmets aren't part of the 2nd Ammendment. Enjoy your 4th gents!
View Quote

Absolutely not useless!
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm 52 and just got my first plate carrier period, literally this morning.  An Agilite K19 mainly based on what I've read in this forum.  Don't know squat about plate carriers.  Reading now to get an idea of what plates to use that's best for me.  Like another guy said, I think it's smart to get whatever you can, while you can.  The likely hood of me in my rural setting of actually getting into a firefight where I'd need this has to be slim but who knows.  I'm in decent shape but will be wearing this around the pasture etc just to get used to it.  A helmet I'm still on the fence about though.  Not sure why.  If you're going through the trouble of protecting your chest, you should be worried about your head also?  Right?  
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm 52 and just got my first plate carrier period, literally this morning.  An Agilite K19 mainly based on what I've read in this forum.  Don't know squat about plate carriers.  Reading now to get an idea of what plates to use that's best for me.  Like another guy said, I think it's smart to get whatever you can, while you can.  The likely hood of me in my rural setting of actually getting into a firefight where I'd need this has to be slim but who knows.  I'm in decent shape but will be wearing this around the pasture etc just to get used to it.  A helmet I'm still on the fence about though.  Not sure why.  If you're going through the trouble of protecting your chest, you should be worried about your head also?  Right?  
View Quote

Good on you man! You chose well, now fill em with decent plates and your'e GTG.

Regarding the helmet, you are in the right place. Its more of personal preference thing with a number of solid choices to pick from. From there you're off with the rest of the accessories and then NODs.

Learning thru trial and error it took me a few years, and a few grand to civilianize my gear to where I like it. Hopefully, you'll glean all the guidance you can within these walls without spending the same as myself.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I run 3a+. Many rifle rounds, all pistols. My PC weighs under 5 pounds. I’m not high speed but I’d rather not have holes in me if I can help it.
View Quote

I'm closer to 60 now than 50 and I am going very minimalist in my kit. In a scenario where I think I need a plate carrier, I run lightweight level III+ plates and not IV - but they are still a touch over three pounds each. I've opted out on using any placard unless I'm running 7.62x39. I can carry up to four rifle and/or pistol mags in my cummerbund if I think things may get a bit froggy - so my plate carrier is about 7-13 pounds depending on ammo. I can have up to two pistol mags and one rifle mag on my belt. Crye Gunclip for pistol and two pouches for flashlight and multitool with a dump pouch round out the rest of my belt. IFAK rides in a fanny pack (down from two IFAKs to one). Additional mags can ride in the dump pouch.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Have you seen a Sports Medicine doctor? I would recommend trying to get in to see a Sport Medicine doctor at the nearest Division 1 University near you, those guys have a lot of expertise when it comes to joint injuries and can probably help you a great deal.  I would also recommend dialing in your nutrition, get a nutrition coach that can help you dial in your maco and micro-nutrients, because now that you're over 50 like a high mileage car preventive maintenance is really important.  It would be worth it for you to seek out a certified personal trainer or a physical therapist even to discuss how you can modify your workout regiment.  Talk to your primary care doctor about TRT.  

In terms of kit, lighten up the kit.  How light you go depends on your financial resources and your physical condition. Everything is a trade-off. If I was in really bad shape and had to I'd even go with just a UHMWPE Level III plate if I absolutely had no other choice, because you can get those at around 2-3 lbs. a piece especially if they're plates designed to be used in-conjunction with soft armor backers. I prefer Level III+ though since I think protection against M855 green tip is pretty important so I'd vote off admin stuff and reduce water then even reduce my number of magazines before I took a step down in armor protection.  If you're just a mess physically though you do what you have to do and go down to IIIA soft armor or plates if that's what you have to do.  In terms of training with a carrier, don't run in one for endurance training anymore and especially don't do it on hard surfaces or you'll crush your knees.  Good cardio endurance can be achieved by other means than running in a plate carrier for long distances.  I would also probably start to transition your cardio from long distance running to things like running on a cushioned treadmill, rowers, air bikes, and swimming.  For weight lifting I'd get a trainer, because proper form is now EVERYTHING for you and I'd even look into things like Mark Bell's slingshot if you have shoulder concerns and look into things like wrist straps and elbow and/or knee sleeves.  Like a high mileage classic car you need to do a lot of preventive maintenance now so look into things like weekly massages, saunas, hot tubs and cold tubs, yoga...you've got to get smarter than you've ever been about your bodies recovery between exercise sessions.  The "rest" portion of your workout routine is now even more important than the actual workout itself in terms of what you do during that rest period.  You probably know all of this stuff, but it's one thing to know it's another thing to put it into practice in your daily life so don't be afraid to spend some cash on your health and get trainers/coaches that are paid to help you.

You can absolutely be combat effective into your 50's.  You just have to be way smarter about how you go about it than some guy in his 20's.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I turned 60 earlier this year.  Have come to the same conclusion.  

Guns are getting smaller, and lighter.  Also reducing how many I have.  

As for gear, working on much simpler, lower visibility gear.  

I still stay active.  Still work out. Still shoot.  Still dangerous to the wrong person.  That being said though…passing the torch is inevitable.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Try designing your gear choices around the mission of fortifying your home and bugging in when something happens, rather than the notion that you'll be doing squad tactics operating in the wilderness with John Doe and Joe Shmoe. You probably need a handheld flashlight more than you need a survival knife or firestarters.

If you want to be able to tactically contribute to an organized community security effort from a chair, a drone might be a good thing to have and practice with.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#23]
My old boss (SOG CCN) used to tell me Billy Waugh stories from Vietnam. Fast forward to 2001...

At the age of 71, Waugh participated in Operation Enduring Freedom from October to December 2001 as a member of the CIA's Northern Alliance Liaison Team led by Gary Schroen which went into Afghanistan to work with the Northern Alliance to topple the Taliban regime and Al Qaeda at the Battle of Tora Bora.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#24]
About to turn 57 and I can do everything I could do as a 20 year old.

Just half as long and then it takes 3 days to recover.

Yeah the days of being an operator are over.  Now I just try to educate the kids and younger generations.

Times change and so do we, can't fight it, so adjustment is key.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
you will be amazed at what taking off a lot of body-fat will do for how you feel.
View Quote

also this. I was too heavy, covid and young kids and whatnot. I hurt my back working out in 16 pounds of plates, and ended up 2 days in the hospital, injections, etc. Nothing helped. I decided to lose the weight of my kit so I could move better in it and not get hurt. Went dirty Keto and dropped 20 pounds pretty quick. Got rehab and core strength and kicked everything up a notch at new years. I am down 52 pounds from when I got hurt and weigh less than I did in college. Also spent money on lighter plates. That combo has me feeling like I could accomplish some shit instead of being a hurt tactical turtle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Went dirty Keto and dropped 20 pounds pretty quick..
View Quote

How hard was it to maintain ketosis on the dirty keto diet?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#27]
LOL to the previous replies, getting older is humbling. I have a year before turning 50 and I've just recently started to notice a decline in energy compared to my younger years, maybe the last couple years. I'm still strong and quick but that's sure to decline quickly now as well. I picture myself someday being one of those old guys who still thinks their tough, probably be trying to put a new roof on my house when I'm 75 and fall off, then I'll refuse to tell anyone my legs broken until It's infected and needs removed. Once I'm forced to pay young punks to finish my roof, I'll stand outside telling them how they're doing everything wrong and how much faster I'd do it if my leg wasn't missing, plus I would be doing it in full load out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
LOL to the previous replies, getting older is humbling. I have a year before turning 50 and I've just recently started to notice a decline in energy compared to my younger years, maybe the last couple years. I'm still strong and quick but that's sure to decline quickly now as well. I picture myself someday being one of those old guys who still thinks their tough, probably be trying to put a new roof on my house when I'm 75 and fall off, then I'll refuse to tell anyone my legs broken until It's infected and needs removed. Once I'm forced to pay young punks to finish my roof, I'll stand outside telling them how they're doing everything wrong and how much faster I'd do it if my leg wasn't missing, plus I would be doing it in full load out.
View Quote

You forgot the fact you'd have a megaphone so they'd hear you ok wince your voice isn't what it used to be.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Be honest with yourself and others regarding your limitations.  Getting hurt sucks at any age, but it takes much longer to heal as you age.

Do what you can medically, nutritionally and physically, staying near optimal body weight.

I can't run as far or often as I used to, but I still run.

I can't hump a heavy pack like I used to, but I hiked with a light pack a few hours today.

At a rifle training course several years ago I was the oldest participant by 10 years.  Did I do all the rotations and shooting positions the young guys did, absolutely, it just took me longer.  I told the instructor yes I could go prone, but I'll need to use my non-dominant arm to get back up.

I'm not willing to give up occasional training in full kit, but I don't go into the field with it, and will operate as much as possible from a static position if duty calls.

Good luck, and don't give in, just be smart.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How hard was it to maintain ketosis on the dirty keto diet?
View Quote

If I’d fall off the wagon (usually a weekend) I would bloat a few pounds for a day or 2. But IF during the work week and OMAD and I’d be right through
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Weighed my plate carrier today with four fully loaded PMAGs (the most I would carry on it - more likely to carry just two) and it tipped the scales at 12.5 lbs - just under the 13 I had guessed. That is about all I would like to carry at this age.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

It sure is!

I've come to the realization that I'm no longer able to run and move like I did when I was younger.  My mind is willing, but my body says "don't even think about it."

I would have to be in a fixed position or a REMF now.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll be 48 in September and am fortunate to be a naturally slim guy. I just upgraded my plates from l210's to 3810's.
Losing six pounds worth of plates was a huge difference.
Lighter plates is probably the best investment you can make other than exercise.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#35]
The easy thing to do after being fit and realistic about things is the same thing ultra lightweight thru-hikers do: look at your gear very critically, cut everything but the bare necessities, and spend more money on lighter stuff.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#36]
We need an Old Guy/Over 50 Forum!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is realistic.

At 62, I have to ignore the 21 Y/O brain that still thinks I can do anything.

If I have to go into the fray first, it's for all the marbles. And require a shit load of ibuprofen afterwards.

I continue to take training courses as often as I can and shoot whenever possible. And cardio.

And something I read here years ago..."Chest rigs are for patrolling. Plate carriers are for standing your ground".
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m 58 and still do my best to train like I did 30 years ago but it’s been getting much harder to maintain my physical condition than it was just a few years ago. I can still out ruck at least half the younger troops but I’m relatively certain that’s just because I’ve learned to deal with aches and pains over the past 39 years in uniform. I’m determined to finish 40 years of service like I started. No profiles and complete all events to standard
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We need an Old Guy/Over 50 Forum!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is realistic.

At 62, I have to ignore the 21 Y/O brain that still thinks I can do anything.

If I have to go into the fray first, it's for all the marbles. And require a shit load of ibuprofen afterwards.

I continue to take training courses as often as I can and shoot whenever possible. And cardio.

And something I read here years ago..."Chest rigs are for patrolling. Plate carriers are for standing your ground".
View Quote

This would be a plus!  Over the Hill forum.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This would be a plus!  Over the Hill forum.
View Quote

Hey mods…. Is this possible.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hey mods…. Is this possible.
View Quote

Shit the bed, especially after watching the Old Man on HULU.  Then again how many do we have here, that is the question?  Ole Blue from Old School. LOL!
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I doubt this has enough interest to drive its own forum - but you never know, it could happen.

It will likely require a demonstration of threads like this one staying alive in this forum to justify the chsnge.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#42]
On a rare occasion do I post, but this has my attention or interest.  It would be nice just to keep this post going.  I realize my limitations at this age, but it would be beneficial to learn what our brother/sisters are doing at 50+.  Hell even starting at 45 is 3/4's
of the way down the hill and that is the shit's.  To learn something new everyday keeps the mind sharp.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not over 50, but I've had some injuries that are catching up with me. I haven't done any training since I went back to work a year ago.

I have a cheap setup, and even with only 3 rifle mags it feels way too bulky. I'd like to replace it with something smaller that is quality. I don't need a bunch of stuff hanging off. I really think a smaller, lighter setup would get me to go out and use it.

I don't plan on going to war or kicking in doors. Just carrying mags in the unlikely event the world around me turns to shit. I've also lightened up my rifle. It just has a sling, light, and red dot. I can walk the trails around my property and it's easily 2 miles and change. Stuff gets heavy fast in hilly wooded terrain, especially with bad knees.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Some good advice here.  Just turned 67.  I will say lots of things get a vote here, but overall, if you make a decent attempt to stay in shape- good diet, exercise, and recovery, you can still jam out in your older years.  As a practical limit, I think 15 lbs for your belt kit, and 35 lbs for your ruck, for an all-up weight of 50 lbs + rifle is a good starting point.  You will notice this doesn't leave much, if any room for BA.  If you want to run it, then ruck weight needs to come down.  That's just my personal opinion.

I finally broke down and bought those expensive light weight plates.  I think you need something that will stop M855 and M193; if you want something extra for 7.62 (thinking sniper loads here) that's your choice.  If you can keep your plate carrier, 5 mags, and TQ/blowout kit under 15 lbs, GTG.  

So obviously a balancing act here.  If you are doing more long range patrolling, requiring more snivel gear, you might not want/need BA.  If you are doing more aggressive maneuvers/shorter duration stuff, then the sustainment gear goes away to make room for BA.  

So for me, these are the two scenarios I look at.  At any event, 50 lbs is the golden figure.  Any more than that is beyond 1/3 my body weight.

I will say there's a couple of things to think about.  Recovery times vary of course but in general, past 50 you need a lot more of it.  So doing more than 2 weighted workouts a week is not recommended, without a full year (at least) of training to work up to that.  Also, I'd start out with a good high cushion running shoes first, before going to duty boots. This gives your joints/connective tissue time to get dialed in along with the muscles.  

Diet becomes more important with each decade.  All that stuff you're supposed to eat (and all that stuff you're not) really comes into play.  The new supplements, pre, during, and post work out are amazing.  Whatever you and your wallet can live with.

Bottom line, you can't carry all that shit you could when you're 21, but then again, they shouldn't be doing it either.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Some good advice here.  Just turned 67.  I will say lots of things get a vote here, but overall, if you make a decent attempt to stay in shape- good diet, exercise, and recovery, you can still jam out in your older years.  As a practical limit, I think 15 lbs for your belt kit, and 35 lbs for your ruck, for an all-up weight of 50 lbs + rifle is a good starting point.  You will notice this doesn't leave much, if any room for BA.  If you want to run it, then ruck weight needs to come down.  That's just my personal opinion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, that is quite sound. Body armor is for operating in a limited area or from a vehicle - not for LRRPing. I have a plate carrier because I intend to use it close to home and the hospital is just three miles away, so it may do me some good.

I finally broke down and bought those expensive light weight plates.  I think you need something that will stop M855 and M193; if you want something extra for 7.62 (thinking sniper loads here) that's your choice.  If you can keep your plate carrier, 5 mags, and TQ/blowout kit under 15 lbs, GTG.

I have a limited budget, so I opted for level III+ plates that are light and I got a good deal on them. I am keeping what I have on my carrier very limited and scalable, starting with nothing extra on it but a SOCP dagger and a cleaning cloth which is about 8.5 lbs, or add up to four magazines at about a pound each. As a civilian sticking close to home, I don't see the need to carry a lot of mags - three to four plus one in the rifle is probably sufficient, if not overkill. If I needed to cover some distance on foot, I would opt for a chest rig instead.

So obviously a balancing act here.  If you are doing more long range patrolling, requiring more snivel gear, you might not want/need BA.  If you are doing more aggressive maneuvers/shorter duration stuff, then the sustainment gear goes away to make room for BA.

Yep. I think I would really limit the sleeping/shelter stuff (possible in the climate I live in) in favor of more water and food.

So for me, these are the two scenarios I look at.  At any event, 50 lbs is the golden figure.  Any more than that is beyond 1/3 my body weight.

That is a reasonable upper limit, I might try to minimize even more to get under 40.

I will say there's a couple of things to think about.  Recovery times vary of course but in general, past 50 you need a lot more of it.  So doing more than 2 weighted workouts a week is not recommended, without a full year (at least) of training to work up to that.  Also, I'd start out with a good high cushion running shoes first, before going to duty boots. This gives your joints/connective tissue time to get dialed in along with the muscles.  

Diet becomes more important with each decade.  All that stuff you're supposed to eat (and all that stuff you're not) really comes into play.  The new supplements, pre, during, and post work out are amazing.  Whatever you and your wallet can live with.

Bottom line, you can't carry all that shit you could when you're 21, but then again, they shouldn't be doing it either.

Good advise - thanks!
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Well on the BA thing, I've been slammed here before for daring to suggest that it doesn't fit into every clime and place.  So I try and be careful about saying stuff like, shit-can the BA for long range patrols, and/or hot weather.  My comments here are more directed with training in it, as in weighted work outs to supplement your regular routine.  Sort of similar to what "Go-Ruck" types are doing, except using actual gear.  So you might see me wearing BA for a workout, when in fact I wouldn't be wearing it otherwise.  For example, let's say I have a 3 mile run scheduled.  I might throw on the ruck or plates just to add in some weight, as an additional variable (like speed, distance, incline, etc.).   Hence my comment about doing no more than 2 workouts a week with it.  But again I recommend starting out low and slow, with running shoes before moving on to boots.  That's the biggest mistake I see being made because IMHO, .mil training is flawed in this regard.  You can't just throw on a fully loaded pack, with boots, and start tear-assing down the road.  You start with say 15-20 lbs, running shoes, and 3 miles, then progress up to 35-40 lbs, hiking boots, and 12 miles.  I wouldn't do much more than that after 50.

But you can still boogey.  When I did the Fan Dance in Wales, I ended up going back up "Jacob's Ladder" with a 72-yr old former SAS troop commander.  He said he still does it every year just to "stay in touch with things".  That's 25K, with 6,000' of climbing, with a 45 lb Bergen.  So for sure, this is totally doable here; just adjust the weight accordingly.

In fact, it was my 60th Birthday when I did this thing.

Attachment Attached File

'
That's on top of Pen Y Fan.  The cross in the foreground is for a soldier who died attempting Selection the month before.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#47]
If you're old & need a new hip or two, go ahead & do it.  Recovery is very fast.  Knees are a bit more tricky.

I'm just going to get some poly Level 3 plates & call it a day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#48]
No Expert, but seems to me that consulting a competent MD and stating your desired outcome will be useful.  Likely the Doc will suggest losing some weight, and some physical mobility training, at the very least.   You can do the mobility training at at home, or in classes.  Suggest searching around for your Doc; most of them seem to give an initial consult for free, and you can get some personal "sense" of them.  Your Health Plan might favor some Docs over others.  "Choose wisely".

Your other Docs, like Eye docs and Tooth docs are also worth considering.  They also play a vital part; can't shoot straight without good vision, and can't concentrate your mind if under relentless pain from an abcessed tooth.  Same "Health Plan" advice as above.

Other posters have mentioned Joint replacement, and that is worth doing, especially if you are still employed, and can use your Medical Insurance to both pay for the procedure, and pay for your being temporarily disabled, and unable to work.  Strongly suggest getting a competent evaluation, and getting your body "repaired' while your employer is obligated to pay for it.  Understood that some employers Health Plans vary.  Take a close look.

There may be many Gov't-funded programs, like Medicare, that might assist you. You paid into such programs for years, and might want to take advantage of that, while the getting is still good.  I sure did, but YMMV.  

I've seen 40-year olds who were physically hobbled for some reason(s), and 70-year olds who were doing pretty good.  Everyone is different, and age takes a different toll on some people.  

Suggest you take a multi-pronged approach to inevitable old age, and make plans to adapt to oncoming old age before old age makes plans for you.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#49]
I would never suggest getting rid of things just because.
Find what works for you.
If you were using 10#+ steel plates maybe sell em off and some other gear and get some light weight poly plates.
Maybe get rid of plates altogether. Although I have plates, my immediate go to would prob be a basic chest rig.

Everyone has their position based on their position in life.
I have friends who are young, but obese. Could they handle defending a static position? Absolutely. Could they handle CQB, possibly. Could they handle a long range patrol, absolutely not.

You have something much more valuable then your body. Your experience. Be ready for the fight, but teach the next generation what you know. 1 fighter is great. But 1 fighter who can make 10 fighters is a game changer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would never suggest getting rid of things just because.
Find what works for you.
If you were using 10#+ steel plates maybe sell em off and some other gear and get some light weight poly plates.
Maybe get rid of plates altogether. Although I have plates, my immediate go to would prob be a basic chest rig.
Everyone has their position based on their position in life.
I have friends who are young, but obese. Could they handle defending a static position? Absolutely. Could they handle CQB, possibly. Could they handle a long range patrol, absolutely not.
You have something much more valuable then your body. Your experience. Be ready for the fight, but teach the next generation what you know. 1 fighter is great. But 1 fighter who can make 10 fighters is a game changer.
View Quote

Friends don't let friends buy steel plates. They should be the first thing to go if you own them!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top