Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2018 9:41:15 PM EDT
I just received my first garand, it is a cmp special.  The first I shot threw it was federal power shock in the blue box.  It would shoot and eject but not pick up the next case.  If I then pulled the bolt all the way to the rear it would load the next.  Basically making it a straight pull single shot.

I then tried the federal non typical and it worked normal.

Last I loaded some 150g btsp with 49g of imr 4064 and I'm back to ejecting but not picking up the next round.

I pulled the stock off and sprayed oil in it with no change.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just received my first garand, it is a cmp special.  The first I shot threw it was federal power shock in the blue box.  It would shoot and eject but not pick up the next case.  If I then pulled the bolt all the way to the rear it would load the next.  Basically making it a straight pull single shot.

Last I loaded some 150g btsp with 49g of imr 4064 and I'm back to ejecting but not picking up the next round.

Thanks for the help
View Quote
You might make sure your gas plug is tight, and make sure you've given the rifle a good cleaning.  There could be some packing grease (aka cosmoline) in the springs and inner workings that could be part of the problem.   But I'm wondering if the probably is that the loads are actually not quite right for the gun..   They are tuned to run on lower power M2 Ball which isn't as hot as modern 30-06 hunting ammo.   Do you have any M2 ball that you can get your hands on?   I think the load you have isn't too bad with 4064, but may still be a little on the warm side.   I'm at 47.5 of IMR 4895 for my M1 loads with 150gr bullets.   4064 is just a little slower than 4895 so it may be that pressure at the gas port isn't quite right.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help, I'll pull it all the way down and clean it real well and see how it does.  I looked for some ball ammo but none of the gun stores around Little Rock had any, I guess I'll just need to order a case.  Is all of the ball ammo equal or is one preferred?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the help, I'll pull it all the way down and clean it real well and see how it does.  I looked for some ball ammo but none of the gun stores around Little Rock had any, I guess I'll just need to order a case.  Is all of the ball ammo equal or is one preferred?
View Quote
The Greek Surplus is pretty good stuff if you can find it, and the brass is great for reloads.   Since you are a reloader, look for surplus M80 projectiles out there and then use IMR4895 or something similar for a really nice plinking load.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#5]
As was mentioned, grease your gun, and that means grease, not oil.  If it slides, grease it, if it rotates, oil it. Personally, I use moly based automotive wheel bearing grease, but most any decent grease will do. The Garand has specific grease points.

https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi42.tinypic.com%2F2psofol.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.thecmp.org%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D15706%26page%3D2&docid=XljmbN0spRHBCM&tbnid=C4d-xvSmVoDWZM%3A&vet=1&w=746&h=838&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

Also, take the op rod spring out, and measure its length.  It should be at least 19 1/2" long, preferably over 20".  If it is at that length(19 1/2"), or shorter, it needs to be replaced. The op rod spring does double duty, in that it deals with the bolt, and feeding the bullets up into position for the bolt to pick them up.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Since you said it is a CMP special, check the stock to make sure its not rubbing on the Op rod. That can slow it down just enough to short stroke and not pick up the next round. The new CMP stocks require a little sanding and fitting to make them right. There's a pretty good thread about it on the CMP forums.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dude, your post's title says "Garland,"  so most folks here thought you were claiming the long-deceased actress, Judy Garland, ('Wizard of Oz' chick) had female-type issues with her,  ah, ... 'cycle'  -  which was fully possible for 1930s/'40s actresses trying to make it big in Hollywood.

Glad we got that shit cleared up.

As to your question, you really need to run about 25-rds of mil-spec ball ammo through this rifle, like HXP, not hunting-type SP ammo.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, you might want to get a few new op rod springs from Orion7 (he sells on Amazon). Install one and then return to the range with some amount of proper Garand ammo, good clips, and see if your problem isn't cured.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since you said it is a CMP special, check the stock to make sure its not rubbing on the Op rod. That can slow it down just enough to short stroke and not pick up the next round. The new CMP stocks require a little sanding and fitting to make them right. There's a pretty good thread about it on the CMP forums.
View Quote
This is sound advice.  Bottom line is, if you are using ammunition that's reasonably close to what the rifle was designed for, grease and oil or no grease and oil is wholly unlikely to be the cause of the problem you described.  The M1 Rifle did not become a legendary service rifle because it had narrow tolerances for having or not having grease and oil on or not on it.  It will run like a top bone dry given the wood is fitted properly and the gas system is properly assembled.  And an excellent use of a few bucks is to replace every spring in the rifle with new ones from a reputable source.  Just do it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Join the CMP forum ! Read read ! Read !
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I took the rifle down and cleaned it real well and greases it up.  I also found a couple boxes of ppu 150gr m2 ball today.  I'm going to check for rubbing next. Thanks for the help so far
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Mallard270, as you're a handloader, the suggestion to find some 147grn M80 projectiles and load up your own is a good one if you can't find 150grn M2 bullets.  The M80 are boattail bullets while the M2s are flat based which makes handloading the M80s a breeze.  Widener's has some HERE and American Reloading has some HERE. I use Win 748 powder for both my M1A and M1 Garands as it's a ball powder and feeds better in my Dillon press, and magnum primers to duplicate both the M2 and M80 loads.  Remember that mil brass is thicker so you should reduce your charge weight by 2grns from commercial brass.

I've found my M1 Garand likes 46.0grns of Win 748 in Greek brass trimmed to 2.900" while my M1A likes 45.5grns of Win 748  in Greek brass trimmed to 2.005", both with 147grn M80 bullets.  If I use 150grn M2 bullets, I found that my M1 Garand likes 45.8grns and my M1A likes 45.9grns of Win 748 with cases trimmed to the same length, however, start lower and work up your loads.  I got a deal on 6K of 147grn M80 bullets so I use them for both platforms as both my son and I shoot them and we can go through a bunch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top