Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2023 1:55:32 PM EDT
I have the opportunity to buy this M1. I know very little, other than the basics about Garands. What do you think?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a 50s era H&R - could be a good deal if the price is right.  I'd snap it up at $1200 or less
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It has the correct stock which is a plus.  The rest of the parts would need to be known for a true value.  But an all original post war rifle is not quite the value bump that a wartime correct rifle is.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nvcdl:
Looks like a 50s era H&R - could be a good deal if the price is right.  I'd snap it up at $1200 or less
View Quote

Thanks, we haven’t discussed exact price yet, but I may be able to get it for around $1000.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BigErnst:

Thanks, we haven’t discussed exact price yet, but I may be able to get it for around $1000.
View Quote

$1000 would be pretty fair for a mixmaster in good condition. At that price, I wouldn’t make a point of looking or inquiring how many parts match, more just condition of parts. My guess is it probably has many of the original HRA parts. If so, it just makes that price even better.

Photos are not great. Looks like it was stored poorly with surface rust on the receiver. Be sure to check the condition of the bore. That is commonly the first thing to start rusting because the chamber and bore are raw steel.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info fellas…

I have not got my hands on it yet, but when I do is there anything I should look for or check that would make this a no- go? I’m not looking for a collector grade piece here, just a shooter.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The biggest item is a welded receiver, recovered drill rifle or any cracking on the heel or bridge area under the rear of the bolt when the bolt is closed.

Welded receivers have discoloration or mis alignment of machine marks at the junction where the receiver was cut in half. Drill rifles have a residual weld that is removed on the underside of the receiver, in front where the barrel was welded to the receiver.

Cracks can Inspected from the exterior or looking at the bridge inside the receiver under the face of the bolt when it is locked back.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Get your hands on a muzzle/throat gauge if you want to be sure.  Or, do the bullet test on the muzzle.  Just to be sure you aren't buying a rifle with a shot-out chamber throat or a worn muzzle. Scope the bore or at least use a bore light in it.

But, looking at your photos $1K sounds reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 12:30:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tangeant] [#9]
Looks like a nice CMP Greek return H&R service grade from yrs back. A steal at $1000 it is closer to a $2k Garand these days and you won't get anything near as nice or good from CMP anymore.

If all H&R a big plus, many had SA postwar bolts/oprods,TG's , stocks and vice versa swapped around by Greeks or CMP. Still regret not getting more of those Greeks. Racks at Perry store were full of them back than.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:15:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nefarious1] [#10]
Woodless Danes were the best.  $1k is a good buy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#11]
If the bore is in good shape I'd grab that for 1K. I don't know why but H&R Garands have always caught my interest. They're almost as cool as tractor Garands imo.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]
High 5,000,000 serial numbered Garand's, are the best Garands.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice looking gun OP.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
High 5,000,000 serial numbered Garand's, are the best Garands.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top