Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2018 12:54:19 PM EDT
Gents, I am starting a g36C clone project and have a few questions.

Does the UMP style pistol brace fit the g36 receiver? looks like it does?

With the barrel mandrel and block how hard it is it to install yourself? or should I send it out to be put together.

Also anyone that has a G36 please post pics for motivation. thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does the UMP style pistol brace fit the g36 receiver? looks like it does?
View Quote
UMP stocks/braces do not fit the hinge of a G36 receiver, and vice versa.
Read this: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/387593-g36-ump-pistol-arm-brace-options.html#post2845233

How are you planning to end up with the back of your receiver being like a G36?
You can buy Tom Bostic's T36 receiver, or have a G36 rear stub grafted onto a SL8. AFAIK those are your only options.

With the barrel mandrel and block how hard it is it to install yourself? or should I send it out to be put together.
View Quote
The only problem you might encounter is breaking the nut loose for the first time. You should have no issues using a mandrel though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#2]
T36 is the receiver I have, I was looking at the kits at Atlantic for $1800. They look nice and might be the route I take or I was looking at the HK kits that for $3500. I just need to decide on if I want it all hk or if the usa parts are going to work. I was hoping more guys on here would be able to add advice. Been trying to navigate the hk forums trying to find some answers. I have seen a G36 with the B&T style folder brace I have on my ump. I will have to do some more digging. I just have slowly had the HK gun bug hit me hard. Thanks for the advice above.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Tommybuilt told me that there are fitment issues with the GSG parts. He didn't elaborate but basically recommended sending it in to be assembled. There may or may also be an issue with the cam pin. Some people have had problems others have not.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it's pretty well known that some of the early T36s had compatibility issues with the GSG kits, but looks like everything he's been sending out recently has been good. I'll probably go that route in a few months.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:32:45 AM EDT
[#5]
As mentioned previously, UMP hinge braces and stocks will not fit on G36 hinges.

I believe Tom Bostic has a G36 brace that utilizes a tailhook brace. It actually looks very snazzy and makes me want to get a G36C pistol

Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#6]
This is my plan the hook brace from Tommy is amazing... almost got the funds lined out will hopefully be sending it off soon. Been battling between the 36c or doing a 36K with extended brake pinned and standard stock.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's my T36C. It's still sitting at the gun shop while I'm on hurricane relief duty for the National Guard. I'll post a thread when I get to pick it up.

Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]
that is amazing!!! did you run the American parts from hkparts or German?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that is amazing!!! did you run the American parts from hkparts or German?
View Quote
It's Tom Bostic's T36 receiver with I believe a full GSG kit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
cool, cant wait to here how it shoots! looks amazing
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:29:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Hello,
Well this thread has me seriously considering a G36C. Is Tommy Built the go to source for this or are there any other craftsman/dealers I should be considering?

Thank you
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:18:52 AM EDT
[#12]
My Chopstix Kid conversion.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I just received my receiver, step one  complete been looking at getting the 36C barrel from hk but for $2000 it is a bit of a ouch. Looks like the 12.5 k barrels complete are around $1000, I think I will make a K with a extended flashhider possibly. Anyone else do this?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just received my receiver, step one  complete been looking at getting the 36C barrel from hk but for $2000 it is a bit of a ouch. Looks like the 12.5 k barrels complete are around $1000, I think I will make a K with a extended flashhider possibly. Anyone else do this?
View Quote
Thats whats killing me. The parts kit will probably be cheaper in the long run but I can space the pricing out more if i build it in sections.

Hk parts has cqb barrels, they are 15.6 inches and are 800 bucks i think
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Im paying for my reciever right now. My thing is im not sure if i should buy a parts kit or buy individual pieces. Im gonna be doing a pretty custom build with out a carry handle and a "rail" up front. Anybody have a source for the kac g36 front sight? I can find the rear no problem but the front is nowhere
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Im paying for my reciever right now. My thing is im not sure if i should buy a parts kit or buy individual pieces. Im gonna be doing a pretty custom build with out a carry handle and a "rail" up front. Anybody have a source for the kac g36 front sight? I can find the rear no problem but the front is nowhere
View Quote
Sadly the only thing that turns up is airsoft
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sadly the only thing that turns up is airsoft
View Quote
Unfortunately thats what i get too. I might try calling kac and see what they can do
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Honestly I'd buy the legit rear and pick up the classic army front sight as a place holder. Should still be usable too.

I know it isn't ideal but it seems like there isn't too many of these out there.Id use the airsoft front until the real deal pops up.

I heard they were decent back when people were going nuts about the archangel nomad/gsg G36 22lr rifles/kits.

That is if contacting KAC is a no go.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I just found this on Brownells, but it seems to be a rail mounted front sight. I have never handled a G36 before so I don't know how the carry handle mounts. Is there something else that would be needed to mount this to the front of the receiver and use the KAC flip up rear/rail? I really like the thought of using the KAC sights and nixing the carry handle. Make the CH more accessible.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/heckler-koch-g36-flip-up-front-sight-prod76051.aspx

Eta: hmm looks like this is actually a MP7 front sight..
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just found this on Brownells, but it seems to be a rail mounted front sight. I have never handled a G36 before so I don't know how the carry handle mounts. Is there something else that would be needed to mount this to the front of the receiver and use the KAC flip up rear/rail? I really like the thought of using the KAC sights and nixing the carry handle. Make the CH more accessible.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/heckler-koch-g36-flip-up-front-sight-prod76051.aspx

Eta: hmm looks like this is actually a MP7 front sight..
View Quote
Yup definitely an MP7 sight.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Yes, it's an MP7 front sight (or at least it's styled like one). In any case, it will only grab a picatinny rail, which isn't how the G36 KAC front sight attaches.
G36 receivers use proprietary dovetails and the sights (or carry handle) slide on from the rear. Then a cross-bolt and nut clamp the plastic dovetail structure to secure it.

The front sight pictured would be used on a picatinny "carry handle" rail like this:
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I sent an email to kac, we'll see what they say. If need be im sure i could machine something but id rather just buy it
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Kinda sucks how rare G36/SL8 stuff is now. Not too many options.

Are there any legit IDZ Rails being sold/imported?

All I can find is airsoft crap  I have to say I like how low profile it is. Also the BUIS are a nice touch. Attachment Attached File

Looks like HK parts wants $700 for the stock alone lol...
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Are there any legit IDZ Rails being sold?
View Quote
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-SL8-G36-Sight-Rail-Aluminum-Flip-Up-Sights-180p17718.htm
$450 and it's out-of-stock.

Yeah it's crazy price land.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-SL8-G36-Sight-Rail-Aluminum-Flip-Up-Sights-180p17718.htm

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are there any legit IDZ Rails being sold?

Thats kinda nasty. At least it's aluminum.

The airsoft ones are made out of cheap/bendy plastic. Even for a 22lr it was junk.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Hello again - for those of you that have time behind a G36, what is the experience like (recoil, bolt transition, and muzzle rise)?

Thanks for considering my question.

Take care.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:56:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hello again - for those of you that have time behind a G36, what is the experience like (recoil, bolt transition, and muzzle rise)?
View Quote
It's similar to an AR (or a piston AR). Here's a video with my G36k using 3 different selector positions.

G36k 2-round burst and auto

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I didn't snap any pics of the G36 by itself.
I recently swapped out for the extended mag catch, and it's a big improvement. I can drop the mags with my trigger finger, and when I insert a new one, I just knock the operating handle straight back with my left hand (instead of folding it out to one side first). The PMAGs for it are way better than the factory HK mags.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#28]
So some other stuff i thought of was the tools to build the kit. I can machine a wrench no problem (if interested email me) but i havent seen a mandrel. Any close ups?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#29]
What I'm planning to do for a mandrel is take a discarded SL8 bolt and fit it to round stock, milled flat on the back end. Then I can clamp it in a vice and the bolt lugs will bear the torque.

Email sent on wrench.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What I'm planning to do for a mandrel is take a discarded SL8 bolt and fit it to round stock, milled flat on the back end. Then I can clamp it in a vice and the bolt lugs will bear the torque.

Email sent on wrench.
View Quote
Thats not a bad idea. If i could get some dimensions on the lugs i could probably machine something that would lock into it. Just mill some grooves in a piece of round stock and 2 flats on the back
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I think I saved dimensional drawings from HKpro a few years back. I will see if I can dig them up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Duuuuuddddeeee thats awesome. Im gonna hop on that asap
View Quote
I have one of those
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have one of those
View Quote
Factory?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Factory?
View Quote
I don't think so, I think one of the guys on hkforum did a run of them when I bought.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't think HK offers their armorer tools to the public. When they do sell them (to a certified armorer maybe) they're insanely overpriced.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#39]
So i started work on the wrench, building it out of stainless. Should be easy to do, the mandrel will be a little more time intensive but not bad
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Cool keep us posted on the project sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top