Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2021 11:08:17 PM EDT
I'm interested in building a Fusil "Tulle" version and I'm hoping someone here may have advise on which kit would be the best quality. I have looked at the kits offered by Sitting Fox, Tennessee Valley, Track of the Wolf etc. but there is very little in the way of quality reviews. The cost isn't really a concern nor is the work involved, I'm looking for the best quality.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a direct answer for your question, and I'm still watching the videos so I can't really comment on what I've observed - but I recently found this build series on the TOTW kit.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBU_q5noQX2vCXPoDu8LJEgt-XQ8n-0nm

That should take you to the playlist for the seires but if that doesn't work, here's the channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/BillRaby
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks and I have been watching the same series along with Mike Beliveau's (Duelist's Den) video's. Good stuff. I'm leaning towards Tennessee Valley's kit TVM that is already inletted mostly and needs final tweeking and finishing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
None of those kits are representative of an actual Fusil de Chasse.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None of those kits are representative of an actual Fusil de Chasse.
View Quote

OK, would you consider pointing me in the right direction then?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

OK, would you consider pointing me in the right direction then?
View Quote

Well, if you want to get something that is as close to what they were like you are going to have find a reputable custom builder have it built from what little available information remains on the very few originals that remain. I know of 3 full FDCs that have been published.

For starters, all of them have 43 7/8” barrels +/-
All are between .61-.63” bores
Barrels are full taper with short octagon section at the breech.
All are stocked in European walnut, rammers were probably not hickory. The French liked using Holm oak.
Rammers are tapered and most likely had permanently attached cork screw gun worms on the end.
All are iron mounted.
All current kits have the stock profiles exaggerated.

These were standardized muskets intended of French colonist in New France and was considered a militia arm.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Finding a builder and paying one to do the work would be beyond what I would consider a reasonable cost and would take all the fun out of the equation, I want to build this myself. The kits might not be exact but that's OK with me and I highly doubt that originals were all built to a standard so the flats being too long aren't a big deal to me. I'm just looking for the best quality kit to build.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Finding a builder and paying one to do the work would be beyond what I would consider a reasonable cost and would take all the fun out of the equation, I want to build this myself. The kits might not be exact but that's OK with me and I highly doubt that originals were all built to a standard so the flats being too long aren't a big deal to me. I'm just looking for the best quality kit to build.
View Quote

They were indeed built to a standard. There are even extant gauges used in their inspection. The French were far ahead of the rest of the pack on standardization in that era. Now if you want to open up to more variations, look into the Fusil de Traite types. Those were more varied. Building a correct copy is still within the possibility if you source the correct profile barrel and parts. The Tulle lock is correct from most of the parts houses as is the furniture. The rammer thimbles can easily be made from thin sheet stock. Starting from a plank of wood is not that hard if you have some patience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top