Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2022 2:30:48 PM EDT
Has anyone done a helmet cover in fur (real or fake)?  i see some people are selling a raccoon fur cover for $300, which is crazy to me.

anyways, has anyone done it?  anyone care to send me some pics of what they have done or bought?

i think i have an idea on how to do it, but i want to get a better idea before i go cutting apart some furs i have.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Right up there with the cat ears on a helmet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Fur-covered helmet has some fundamental utility, although I question the implimentation of the posted concept.

Israeli Floppy Helmet Cover may have some utility.  Since helmet/head is often exposed to enemy, the enemy learns how to recognize typical helmet profile.  Obscuring the helmet profile can be very useful.  Trained enemy often can recognize typical headware profile, such as Boonie Hat and Ball Cap.

Added vegetation/other materials to helmet/headgear may or may not be useful in all conditions.  Always problematic on how to attach such items so that they are not pulled-off somehow.  Under NVG vision, such ad hoc add-on items might be counter-productive.  Recall that most Boonie hats have loops for attaching head-obscuring camouflage items.

NOT an expert, but I reckon head/helmet recognition by enemy can be of significant concern.

Again, NO Expert, but common sense tells me that finding effective and durable ways to attach suitable items to one's headgear in order to disguise/camouflage typical head/headware/helmet profile is of highest possible utility, since that vital part of body is often exposed to the enemy.

Suggest wearing >>decent<< protective eyeware is just a notch down from all this helmet camouflage.  Dirt injected into your eye(s) makes you a casualty.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
raf has some good points above.

It's unlikely the enemy will be expecting to see that visual effect on any headwear.

In my opinion, anything that confuses an enemy who is targeting you, even for an extra millisecond, buys you that much more time to react.

View Quote
Concur with your comments.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
raf has some good points above.

It’s unlikely the enemy will be expecting to see that visual effect on any headwear.

In my opinion, anything that confuses an enemy who is targeting you, even for an extra millisecond, buys you that much more time to react.

View Quote

Shape disrupting camouflage is useful but I don't think I'd use fur. Tens of thousands of Americans have spent their lives honing their ability to visually pick up furry objects moving through the woods. I'd hate to get dropped by some octogenarian because he's been hunting varmints in those woods for longer than I've been alive and my helmet looked like a raccoon

On topic to the thread, I've only seen the same raccoon helmet covers being sold for way too much. They are awesome looking though, and really feed into my childhood memories of watching Davy Crockett movies and running around with a fake coonskin hat and a bb gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude who goes to our night shoots makes them. Idk his website though.

@hill_monkey maybe knows

Found it

He's an interesting guy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Shape disrupting camouflage is useful but I don't think I'd use fur. Tens of thousands of Americans have spent their lives honing their ability to visually pick up furry objects moving through the woods. I'd hate to get dropped by some octogenarian because he's been hunting varmints in those woods for longer than I've been alive and my helmet looked like a raccoon

On topic to the thread, I've only seen the same raccoon helmet covers being sold for way too much. They are awesome looking though, and really feed into my childhood memories of watching Davy Crockett movies and running around with a fake coonskin hat and a bb gun.
View Quote
Understood, but suggest modern NVG-compliant and  "shape-disruptive" materials appropriately applied to helmets and other head gear are worth their weight in Gold.  I'm no Expert, and will accept informed opinions to the contrary.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Edit: My bad, I thought you were just looking at helmet covers and were interested in the fur for breaking up an outline into something different. Keep us posted if you end up doing it.

You could just get one of these covers for your helmet, add in some natural vegetation and break up your outline.

In between my 2 helmets with them, I have one ACH with a cover on it, and a team wendy bump without and the ACH seems to break up better. I think it is due to having the cover under the netting which adds depth and the TW is a black shell which just looks really dark.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@hill_monkey maybe knows

Found it

He's an interesting guy.
View Quote

Seems about right
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got some skins I could try.

I've got a fisher cat skin that might look cool
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Seems about right
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@hill_monkey maybe knows

Found it

He's an interesting guy.

Seems about right

I think its safe to say, that dude is not all there.  Him or his pussy
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#12]
People shoot furry things….many without verifying what they’re shooting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Either that or they would spend some time watching the "furry animal", which would attract too much attention to you.  I know I've watched squirrels, rabbits, etc., when hunting deer and the deer have made themselves scarce.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what about a WWII style helmet net that you can attach pieces of scrim in order to break up the outline?  I've seen pictures of British Paras with scrimmed helmets and have to admit it breaks up the outline very well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Either that or they would spend some time watching the "furry animal", which would attract too much attention to you.  I know I've watched squirrels, rabbits, etc., when hunting deer and the deer have made themselves scarce.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what about a WWII style helmet net that you can attach pieces of scrim in order to break up the outline?  I've seen pictures of British Paras with scrimmed helmets and have to admit it breaks up the outline very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ope Gear on insta sells leafy style covers.

But I want a fur cover. If I have time I'm going to try my luck this week. Wish me luck.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Depends on circumstances.  Have heard of Germans shooting GIs seeing GI netting on their helmets.  Have heard of GIs shooting Germans on account of camo fabric covers on German helmets.

Suggest Terrain-appropriate irregular additions to one's helmet/head gear. in order to confuse enemy.  Sometimes more is less.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@hill_monkey maybe knows

Found it

He's an interesting guy.
View Quote

ok, thats fuckin cool, insanely expensive, but still very cool.

coon camo is very effective
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#18]
We had the regular issued helmet covers, and additionally used to cut unserviceable camo netting into helmet covers.  One huge issue I found quickly was that in wooded areas, branches would snag the netting.  That would definitely be an issue with some of the linked covers.

I found the best solution to be to thread a combination of shredded burlap and shredded camo net under and then hanging out through the button hole looking slits in the helmet, making sure there were no loops to get snagged.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, so here's what I did. It looks better in person and I should have combed the fur, but I'll do that later.

Skunk is held on with hook/loop on his paws and the bungee off my TNVC Mohawk. Counterweight is under his fur.

I'll have it at Cola Warrior Heartland 2 this month. No I won't run in it.

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We had the regular issued helmet covers, and additionally used to cut unserviceable camo netting into helmet covers.  One huge issue I found quickly was that in wooded areas, branches would snag the netting.  That would definitely be an issue with some of the linked covers.

I found the best solution to be to thread a combination of shredded burlap and shredded camo net under and then hanging out through the button hole looking slits in the helmet, making sure there were no loops to get snagged.
View Quote
The part about not having items extracted from helmet camouflage due to brush/vegetation is useful, IMHO.

There >>may<< be some sort of conflict between area-appropriate helmet-disruptive items and their being "permanent" and not prone to being snagged and possibly extracted.

No Expert but suggest at least a cloth and terrain-appropriate camouflage helmet cover, and perhaps adding to it with terrain-appropriate items.  Again, No Expert, but suggest sometimes less is more.  Seen vids of soldiers wearing camo vegetation installed onto their helmets and waving around.  Again, perhaps less is more.

Just enough to break up the helmet's outline and confuse the enemy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ok, so here's what I did. It looks better in person and I should have combed the fur, but I'll do that later.

Skunk is held on with hook/loop on his paws and the bungee off my TNVC Mohawk. Counterweight is under his fur.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204013/qma7xcbg-2511972.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204013/jofqd8pg-2511973.jpg
View Quote
No disrespect, but I don't think I'll be doing that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Interesting & Creative OP.

Tactical Trapper feel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats awesome, it's like a skunk Mohawk
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha. No disrespect taken.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fd/aa/04/fdaa04da397c3d04aa1d788d54656f01.jpg

Interesting & Creative OP.

Tactical Trapper feel.
View Quote

Thanks, not the first to put a fur on a helmet, but definitely different and a talking point.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking about calling it a Skunk-Hawk, but thats a little stinky.    
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I want a wolf/coyote pelt on my helmet along with some deer antlers. I just visited the Skinwalker Ranch in here in Utah and now I kinda want that skinwalker vibe LOL
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I want a wolf/coyote pelt on my helmet along with some deer antlers. I just visited the Skinwalker Ranch in here in Utah and now I kinda want that skinwalker vibe LOL
View Quote

A wolf pelt would not be cheap. Even a coyote could be expensive. The fur buyer I know might have one or two available, maybe $60-ish. But you'll be doing a lot of cutting and hand sewing with a lot of waste/trim. Even a raccoon pelt requires a good amount of cutting and sewing.

Sometimes you can score antlers cheap, especially if they are goofy looking.

I say go for it. It'd looking killer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pepe Le PewPew

Top Top