Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2020 5:25:35 PM EDT
Okay, I like to tinker and buy other peoples broken stuff.

My 2 projects are a russian bino and a atn mum14

The russian bino is a gen 2, but the battery cap corroded and the PO used pliers to try to open it. They ripped the threaded section out of it. I have repaired it, by soldering a thin brass sleave on the brass battery thread section and epoxied it in to the battery tube. This gave it better support than the cast reinforced plastic that cracked. I also tried to get a 10130 tube running in it, I did but it wont focus correctly. At least the russian tube is extremely clean and high res amazingly.  It will be a nice little cheap dust collector, that works.

Other project, I bought a atn mum14 with a bad board. The seller said he tried to direct wire the tube to the switch and just did a bad soldering job and it would not shut off. Well he was right on the bad soldering job, but he thought the switch was a maintained switch and it is momentary so you would need to hold the switch to turn it on and use it.  I have reached out to the russian maker of the housing to get a board. I have not heard anything back yet. So I may be making a replacement board that will work the same as the factory board, press on, press off. It will have mosfets, transistors and such, and will work like factory when I am done. It wont have the IR light or bright light shut off, but I dont care. I paid so little for the housing I could sell the optics and make a profit. The only thing that is upsetting is after I did a diagnosis I messaged the seller to let him know he was wrong on what he did, he has not responded in any way, even I am sorry I was wrong. In his post he said it just needed the soldering job corrected, well he was wrong.

Two things from this post, even it is broke it maybe be fun to fix, and watch out for others broken stuff it may drive you nuts.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is broke it maybe be fun to fix.
View Quote

Fun. OP said it would be fun

I'll remember this next time I'm ass deep in stuff that just won't work
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s cool. It’s a special kind of rewarding when you fix something that someone else gave up on. If you fix it that is, lol.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool, I'd be interested in some pictures of what your working on. Post them up!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck OP! I'm glad to hear others are willing to tinker and repair as well. I always get a certain level of satisfaction out of taking broken parts and making something usable again. All the more rewarding when someone else says they "tried" to fix it before you get your hands on it. But, you'd be surprised at the sloppy hack jobs some people attempt.

I wish there were more broken NV parts available out there. I remember months ago you could find big lots of 10 PVS-14 battery housings that were broken or had problems on ebay. It's pretty scarce for used and broken parts currently. I've just been patiently waiting for broken parts to start trickling back in
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#5]
We're a pretty small community. I'd be weary of bashing other members - because that is kind of how that post came off - especially if you feel like you got a deal on it.

If that is an ATN Monocular, that should be a toggle switch, not momentary. It pushes in and rotates. The solder job could have ruined the switch, but that would be unlikely.  I had originally converted an NVM14 when the circuit board failed, as well. I ran mine off 3v and just removed all the extra wiring and ran it directly off 3v from a CR-123 from the power leads to the switch to the tube. It ran perfectly fine and was reliable wired like that.

Alternately, there is a supplier out of China that manufactures that style Housing. You can find them on Alibaba.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chosos:
We're a pretty small community. I'd be weary of bashing other members - because that is kind of how that post came off - especially if you feel like you got a deal on it. 

If that is an ATN Monocular, that should be a toggle switch, not momentary. It pushes in and rotates. The solder job could have ruined the switch, but that would be unlikely.  I had originally converted an NVM14 when the circuit board failed, as well. I ran mine off 3v and just removed all the extra wiring and ran it directly off 3v from a CR-123 from the power leads to the switch to the tube. It ran perfectly fine and was reliable wired like that.

Alternately, there is a supplier out of China that manufactures that style Housing. You can find them on Alibaba.
View Quote

It was not a call out, but some kind of message would have been nice.

its this style of housing. I was hoping it was the knob style.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#7]
oh i see. slightly different than the one i repaired. another thought.

i'm gonna pm you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, I still have not heard anything from any of the emails I sent. So I ordered all the parts to make a new board for the atn mum14 today with a press on, hold off soft latching mosfet controlled system. The great part of this is I ordered enough parts to build 3 boards, total cost was $9.52 including shipping, which was 4.99.

Basically the same circuit used in some flashlights with out the strobe mode. which I could do pretty easily just by changing a capacitor. It would be press on press off, hold for strobe. Might be fun to mock up an ir laser and illumenator
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Okay, I still have not heard anything from any of the emails I sent. So I ordered all the parts to make a new board for the atn mum14 today with a press on, hold off soft latching mosfet controlled system. The great part of this is I ordered enough parts to build 3 boards, total cost was $9.52 including shipping, which was 4.99.

Basically the same circuit used in some flashlights with out the strobe mode. which I could do pretty easily just by changing a capacitor. It would be press on press off, hold for strobe. Might be fun to mock up an ir laser and illumenator
View Quote

Very nice! Post some pics when the parts come in and you get to work. What are you using for the PCB? Are you etching your own copper blanks?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Very nice! Post some pics when the parts come in and you get to work. What are you using for the PCB? Are you etching your own copper blanks?
View Quote

I am going to prototype on perf board, then do an etched board. Amazon wants too much money for photo resist boards, and I have an electronics supply place about an hour away that has em cheap so next time I am in that area I will get photo resist boards. I did photo resist boards years ago for some hobby stuff, they are freaking great to work with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top