Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2018 12:02:36 PM EDT
I would appreciate some recommendations.  I have a new walnut M1A type stock, just in from Fulton Armory.  It seems ready to finish, but of course has no metal.  I have several GI M14 stocks with all the metal.  Would I be better off buying metal for the new one, or would it be not too big of a deal to remove the metal from one of the GI stocks.  Also, if anyone can recommend a good course of action for putting a suitable finish on the new stock that doesn't take months of hand rubbing, I would love to hear what's the latest and greatest in that area too. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 2:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]
After watching this a few times, I've done a few stocks this way.

Danish oil, I found very easy to work with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKGkkpg9sIw

Of course, stain it as you see fit before starting with the finish.

I'll say my stock definitely seems tougher after the process of many many coats of oil, and finishing it with the paste wax.

I love an oil finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top