Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2020 5:42:09 PM EDT
I did not want to hijack the previous FN FNC: are they worth the price thread as that seemed to be primarily aimed at the semi only versions.  I am seriously considering jumping into the FA 5.56 game.  I would love to have a RR Colt M16A1 but I also know they pull a premium price cost wise.  I also realize I could get a non-Colt AR conversion or a Colt AR15 SP1 conversion for less.

Having said that how does the full auto FN FNC stack up against one of the previously mentioned AR conversions?  From my recent price checks from all the regular sources I have seen the FNC as low as $13,500 up to a high of $16,995.  The AR conversions seem to be all over the price spectrum with the lowest I could find was $16,995 up to $21,995 for a Colt SP1.  I realize that the two rifles are not exactly an apple to apples comparison as the M16/AR15 platform has so many possibilities as far as spare parts, swapping uppers ect ect.  whereas the FNC seems limited on spare parts and upgrade possibilities.  I like the the fact the FNC offers not only full auto but also the 3 round burst.  For those that own or have shot the full auto FNC how would you compare it to an AR15 conversion rifle?  

I believe in the buy once cry once adage but in my case that would probably only apply if I could get a RR Colt M16A1.  Those seem to start in the $23k range and up.  I am trying to figure out if an non-Colt AR15 conversion is worth on average $3500 and up over an FNC in the price scenarios I posted above?  Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Replacement parts are pretty much non-existent for the FNC. If you want a transferable FNC the smart thing is to buy a sear gun and have more than host for it should something ever break. They're great guns though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
FNC is a solid and proven platform, but spare parts are problematic. That's reflected in the price.

The price jump on the full auto ARs (yes, an M16 is just a full auto factory AR-15) reflects their manifest versatility and the crapload of aftermarket parts, calibers and support it enjoys. Only the MAC10/11 series rivals the aftermarket AR market in terms of size and options.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I figured the lack of spare parts on the FNC was big part of why it is so much cheaper then the M16/AR15 platform.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:07:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I figured the lack of spare parts on the FNC was big part of why it is so much cheaper then the M16/AR15 platform.
View Quote

Used to be quite a bit cheaper...  FNC back in 2010 when I got mine was about half a Sendra.  FNC are great guns, I hardly ever use the burst though...
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a FA FNC and two factory Colt M16s. I would definitely not own the FNC as my one and only shooter due to lack of spare parts. The price difference between a Colt model 614 and FNC is such that I would save more and find a factory Colt.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I own a FA FNC and two factory Colt M16s. I would definitely not own the FNC as my one and only shooter due to lack of spare parts. The price difference between a Colt model 614 and FNC is such that I would save more and find a factory Colt.
View Quote
I am in a similar position, I have two RR M16s and two M16 sear (RLLs) and also have an FNC.   I actually had two FNCs at one point the 16" folder I still have and an 18" full stock version that I sold/traded away.

I would echo these sentiments above, I would never have an FNC as my only shooter due to lack of spares available and the difficulty in replacing the barrel.   To be honest I rarely shoot my FNC, maybe once a year at best for a couple of mags and I have a pretty decent cache of FNC spare parts including extractors, firing pins, hammer, bolt, gas tube, carrier, recoil spring assembly, barrel,  and other misc spares so am pretty well protected at this point if I was to have a critical failure.

I would personally go with a nice Sendra or Oly RR M16 for not that much more money (3 to 5K) over an FNC.

However if you have a machinegun "collection" with an M16, an Uzi, an M11, HK Sear, etc. and you are looking for another 5.56 machinegun for something different or you just like the movie Heat...... the FNC isn't a bad choice on the next tier of transferable register receiver based guns.   I would lump the FNC in with the AC556, Valmet in 5.56 , AR18, where these guns which last saw any meaningful product evolution/development 30+ years ago and spare parts certainly don't grow on trees anymore (like M16 parts do).
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Based on my experience, scarce FNC parts is a bit of an Internet myth. I bought my FNC 6 years ago, and haven't had any issues finding spare extractors, firing pins, springs, or barrels. You have to look a little, but it's not hard. Haven't had any issues with my FNC at all, and have never had to dip into my stash of parts. They're rock solid guns. The only part I've never stumbled across is a bolt carrier group. Doubt I'll ever need it though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I have only seen a firing pin break- my buddy has owned two for years
I have shot semis for years
They are smoooth shooters in full auto
Way more controllable than an M-4
The only spares I think you need is firing pin, extractor and recoil spring
They are like AK’s for reliability
Love my HOWCO
And I have a source for parts in the US
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have only seen a firing pin break- my buddy has owned two for years
I have shot semis for years
They are smoooth shooters in full auto
Way more controllable than an M-4
The only spares I think you need is firing pin, extractor and recoil spring
They are like AK’s for reliability
Love my HOWCO
And I have a source for parts in the US
View Quote

FA FNC is a great shooter. I love mine. But the paucity of spare parts is problematic.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#10]
My point was they don’t break
The only three parts you could break or need to replace would be recoil spring, extractor and firing pin
They are simple guns built really well
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My point was they don’t break
The only three parts you could break or need to replace would be recoil spring, extractor and firing pin
They are simple guns built really well
View Quote

True, though I have seen a handful of posts over the years with broken bolts. It’s rare, but a real problem if it happened.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I have seen both broken bolts and carriers over the years.

Break either of those parts and odd are good you will be buying a new $5000 semi-auto unless somebody who has a spare takes pity on you and sell you one... or ....you get lucky and somebody else is parting out an FNC from another critical part failure and you are in the right place at the right time.

I sold a guy one of my spare bolts years ago who broke his and was desperate to get a replacement after months of searching with no success and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Bolts seem to break the little "nub" on the top that initiates the bolt pre-rotation and aligns the carrier cutout lug to the slot in the carrier as the bolt goes into the trunnion, the lug on the bolt cylinder body that interfaces the carrier cutout, and/or the trunnion interface lug with the extractor breaks.

Carriers, either the spring tube breaks off the main body of the carrier (which can be repaired), or the wing/arm that makes the bolt rotation cutout in the carrier breaks off.
Top Top