Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2023 9:32:19 PM EDT

Update: Put some rounds through her today. Shooting an 8 inch steel at 100 yards. I've been putting the round brass bead as low as I can in the rear sight. It fits right in the lowest part of the sight. Then point of impact seems to either be right in line with the top of the bead or maybe just above it. But maybe I'm just getting lucky. I think the action has smoothed up since I bought it even though I've only lubed it with rem oil and I bought it used already. I can cycle the action with my pinky. It's not OMG glass custom fit smooth but dude it's pretty smooth. Very easy to ring a silhouette at 50 years or so back to back to back. Just a very rewarding and fun gun to shoot. Also seen is my 1943 no1 mk4. Also a solid shooter. Should have wiped the Rossi off before taking pics. I've got it all finger printed after shooting.

16 inch stainless in 357! Woohoo! For sale locally at a good price and 20 min from the house. Even came with half a box of ammo!

Rifle is beautiful with good wood to metal fit. Very small light dings on the wood, some very light little scratches on the receiver if you hold it in the light right. Very nice condition. One step below brand new I would say. Guns get worn more riding the rack at stores. Nothing to complain about at all function wise but I've only shot it ~25 times. Ringing 8 inch steel at 100 yards after 2-3 shots. Cycles smooth, but it does have a feel like it will wear in with time. Like a brand new pump shotgun. Maybe I'm imagining that, I'll pay attention to it as I get several hundred rounds out of it. Thought about buying some snap caps just to cycle the action a bunch. Trigger is good.

Im sure you guys know already but super lightweight. Super short. No recoil at all with 38's. I really want to hand this to a timid shooter or someone that doubts their ability to shoot. Very confidence inspiring and cycling the lever quickly for those fast follow up shots is gonna be very addicting I can tell. Very happy with it. I know the top mounted safety is a big sore and usually stiff like that gets to me but in all honesty I don't mind it at all. Easy to see and get too. I have a marlin with tech sights and that has made me dislike middle of the barrel mounted rear sights but I'm not losing to much sleep over that either. The whole thing just works.

I HAVE to buy a revolver in 38 now.

I usually like to sling all my rifles but Ill probably make an exception for this. I can't really find a sling with a mounting system I like that matches the stainless/red stained wood well. I don't know if I'd install one anyway.

How tough is the stainless? Admittedly this is the first stainless gun I've owned. I'm not going to be rough housing this but is the finish very durable or it is pretty quick to scratch or corrode? I've wiped it down with rem oil for now. Should I be using anything else on it long term?

What's everyone preferred lube for these? I'd assume grease but everything in the receiver is so tight i wonder if a good oil would work better. I usually grease everything except ar's and 1911's.

No pics yet. I'll be back out at the range tomorrow and I'll get some pics up then.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
16 inch stainless in 357! Woohoo! For sale locally at a good price and 20 min from the house. Even came with half a box of ammo!

Rifle is beautiful with good wood to metal fit. Very small light dings on the wood, some very light little scratches on the receiver if you hold it in the light right. Very nice condition. One step below brand new I would say. Guns get worn more riding the rack at stores. Nothing to complain about at all function wise but I've only shot it ~25 times. Ringing 8 inch steel at 100 yards after 2-3 shots. Cycles smooth, but it does have a feel like it will wear in with time. Like a brand new pump shotgun. Maybe I'm imagining that, I'll pay attention to it as I get several hundred rounds out of it. Thought about buying some snap caps just to cycle the action a bunch. Trigger is good.

Im sure you guys know already but super lightweight. Super short. No recoil at all with 38's. I really want to hand this to a timid shooter or someone that doubts their ability to shoot. Very confidence inspiring and cycling the lever quickly for those fast follow up shots is gonna be very addicting I can tell. Very happy with it. I know the top mounted safety is a big sore and usually stiff like that gets to me but in all honesty I don't mind it at all. Easy to see and get too. I have a marlin with tech sights and that has made me dislike middle of the barrel mounted rear sights but I'm not losing to much sleep over that either. The whole thing just works.

I HAVE to buy a revolver in 38 now.

I usually like to sling all my rifles but Ill probably make an exception for this. I can't really find a sling with a mounting system I like that matches the stainless/red stained wood well. I don't know if I'd install one anyway.

How tough is the stainless? Admittedly this is the first stainless gun I've owned. I'm not going to be rough housing this but is the finish very durable or it is pretty quick to scratch or corrode? I've wiped it down with rem oil for now. Should I be using anything else on it long term?

What's everyone preferred lube for these? I'd assume grease but everything in the receiver is so tight i wonder if a good oil would work better. I usually grease everything except ar's and 1911's.

No pics yet. I'll be back out at the range tomorrow and I'll get some pics up then.
View Quote

Your joy at this new gun comes thru in your writing.. congrats dude!

Stainless can be easy to scratch.. but also easy to fix, as brushed stainless is just "attractively scratched stainless"

Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the blued version, 16 inch barrel, .357, came with a big loop, which I changed out. Whoever shoots it gets a big grin.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad's got one. Bought it new at a gun show for a little over $400.  He took apart the action and did a bunch of filing and polishing to smooth it out nicely.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on the new carbine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently got the exact same carbine. I already had a blue steel 20in. bbl. one and really like it....BUT my son has a
blue steel with the 16in. bbl. and I love the handling characteristics of it better than the 20in. version.

I bought it used from an online firearms auction site but could tell before bidding that it had been handled pretty roughly.
I stripped it down and refinished the stocks, buffed the deeper scratches in the metal, and cleaned up the insides (lots of
dried oil, dirt, and???). Also lightly polished the internal workings while it was apart.

Only problem I found was that it was having a hard time chambering most any round. Thorough inspection found that
the chamber was rough from the reaming process at the factory. I did a polish job on it and that seems to have solved the
problem. It sounds like your gun does not have that problem but I have heard of it before.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations on a very nice rifle!
You might want to look into the Steve's Gunz tune-up guide to slick it up a bit, as well as his adapter to replace the bolt safety with the Skinner aperture sight.  
As to slings, this looks like an ideal way to sling a levergun for both "African style" (muzzle down on off shoulder) carry and "cavalry" carry across the back. The flat, smooth side of the rifle is against the body.  
(Not my rifle)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats! You could try refinishing this or modding your stock band to be similar. I bought some snap caps and don't enjoy using them, they feed differently than live ammo; probably really made for revolvers.

https://www.shoprossi.com/firearm-parts/rossi-r92-rear-forearm-band-screw-w-sling-stud-black-10027491

I agree on the feel of a compact levergun. My Henry .44X is kinda chonky but my 16" .22 is a joy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats. I've been looking for one myself
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats. I am glad I got mine when I did. It was much cheaper then what they are selling for now as they are getting more popular. I never really had any complaints about mine as it seems well made.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey OP, congrats on the rifle and great write up. I’ll make you day even better if you want…I have a saddle ring for a Rossi 92, never used/opened.  I’ll mail it to you if you want it. IM me your address if you are comfortable and sometime this week I will send it out. If you don’t want it, no big deal.  If you don’t have a US address then it can go to someone else.

Here is a link to the site I bought from.  

https://store.stevesgunz.com/

@thedirtylarry
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I highly recommend Steve's Guns sights!

You can see I have one on a bit crooked.  When you get the elevation set, a little Loctite is a good idea:

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My dad's got one. Bought it new at a gun show for a little over $400.  He took apart the action and did a bunch of filing and polishing to smooth it out nicely.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334993/IMG_2721_JPG-2706214.JPG
View Quote
There are factory holes already drilled and tapped, hidden under the rear site, in case some of you didn't know.  I doubt earlier versions had this.

The newer rifles are plenty smooth.  Even the older ones break in just fine.  I bought a spring kit from a lever-smith and asked him to polish up the works. He said that he couldn't improve it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Great find,  these guns are really the best deal growing right now.
I live my357 Rossi and I just got a 45 coltAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats OP!

I've been looking for the same rifle but 20" for 3 years.

Last week my LGS got one in (stainless 20" .357) with a $699 price tag but, with all the added expenses of the damn derailment I'm not in a position to buy.

Figures

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the same gun but converted it to a SBR with a Form 1 can.  Super quiet with subsonic ammo and a total blast to shoot.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one of the early ones. The front sight is on the barrel band. I got it years back used and stripped the finish off to re-blue it and never did.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have the same gun but converted it to a SBR with a Form 1 can.  Super quiet with subsonic ammo and a total blast to shoot.
https://i.imgur.com/rVI66Cgh.jpg
View Quote

Your work is outstanding. I loved the build thread you did on these.

What scope is that in the picture?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/rVI66Cgh.jpg
View Quote

That is awesome. I've got an M92 at the gunsmith right now getting some very similar work done. All said and done, gonna be a lot of cash dropped into a gun that I spent around $400 on but I expect it'll be worth it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#19]
If I could only have one rifle I think this would be it.
Rossi R92 in 357 Magnum.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top