Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2020 11:15:00 AM EDT
On a Form 4 section 2a, for the transferee info, which box do I check for an FFL SOT Sole Proprietor as the transferee? Is it individual? I know a sole prop is not a corporation or a trust, but does the ATF consider it as an 'other legal entity'? What have others used successfully?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
On a Form 4 section 2a, for the transferee info, which box do I check for an FFL SOT Sole Proprietor as the transferee? Is it individual? I know a sole prop is not a corporation or a trust, but does the ATF consider it as an 'other legal entity'? What have others used successfully?

Thanks
View Quote

Individual because a sole proprietor is not a corporation, trust, etc.
If the transferee is an FFL/SOT of any type and the transferor is an FFL/SOT you should be using a Form 3.
If the transferee is an FFL/SOT of any type and the transferor is a nonlicensee or an FFL without SOT its a Form 4.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, thank you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
So I submitted a Form 4 to transfer from a non-licensee to an FFL/SOT sole proprietor.
In section 2a (Transferee info) I checked the block for Individual.
ATF sent it back for correction, saying it was inaccurate info. Via phone they said since it was a business, the 'Individual' block was inaccurate.
I returned the Form 4 with the 'Trust or Legal Entity' block checked and it was approved.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think I've ever seen a form 4 with those blocks checked.
View Quote

<---Sole Proprietor
I've only had 2-3 guns Form 4'd to me and all had "Individual" checked.

I've had several hundred Form 3's to me with "Corporation" checked and ATF still approved them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right? I've had thousands of form 3 and none of them have those boxes checked.
View Quote

Well, some of mine aren't checked because YOU didn't check anything.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The form three has a third block for Sole Proprietor. The form 4 does not offer that option.

Last year I had a form 4, individual to SOT, with neither block checked and it was approved.

This year I sent one in the same way, neither block checked,  and it was returned indicating one of those blocks needed to be checked. That is why I created the original post in this thread.

I returned the form 4 checked individual and they sent it back again. I then changed it to the other block and it was approved.

Those blocks were not present on the form 4 prior to 2016,  when ATF started to focus on Trusts, etc. So I think the real intent was to help differentiate Transfers going to non-licensees. But with a Form 4 going to an SOT apparently some examiners don’t care about those blocks. Now we know that at least one does care.

I am posting this more lengthy explanation in the hopes that it might help others avoid the same delays.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top