Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2020 4:11:27 PM EDT
Howdy folks, I just ordered a surefire training suppressor that I'm going to be form 1-ing into a functional can.  I love their QD mechanism.  I ordered the 5.56 one to go on my AR with the 3-prong flash hider I have on it.  My question is will a 5.56 SF can fit on a SF 7.62 flash hider?  If it will, im going to do a .30cal can for more versatility.  

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
don't think it will.  30 cal cans will fit on 556 mounts but not the other way around, at least that's how i understand it
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
don't think it will.  30 cal cans will fit on 556 mounts but not the other way around, at least that's how i understand it
View Quote

That is correct.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 5:02:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I would be interested to see the end results of how you turn it into an actual suppressor. Curious on doing this myself.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
here's my 2 cents, as i've done it albeit for a 22cal can. i would say the best way to do this, is to just scrap the tube and use the mount. i've seen 2 gunsmiths/machinists do it where they can cut away part of the tube and thread the rest w/ the blast chamber still intact. from there you can buy some other tube and thread it on and choose your own cups and end caps that are readily available.

I did not go that route w/ a new tube. i had my tube threaded by a local machinist who specializes in threading everything. he threaded it and made the end cap for me. 1st issue i had was finding cups that will fit. most likely they'll be too big or too small. mine were too small. so i had to order some stainless steel shim stock, cut it, and slip it in. now my cones have a tight fit. second. b/c the blast chamber is so large, you don't really have a lot of room for many cones. you've gotta put like a 1" spacer in there to have adequate spacing from the muzzle device to the first blast baffle. then you're working with about 3" for the rest of your can. so your spacers are going to be just over 1/3" each. so just a thought if you're going to use this on a 5.56 rifle.

good luck! it's still worth it to try.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m thinking about the same thing, I want to get one set up for 30cal and one or two for 22cal.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a shop down in Florida that can help with getting the locking collar for a diy can
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have built a form 1 fully 17-4 welded 556 suppressor from a surefire warden host for its mounting piece. There are complications on using a warden. From what I know there are complications with using the training cans too. The complication of the warden is there is no secondary alignment piece that will keep the can concentric and precisely aligned. The warden has a large hole and doesn’t need a precision alignment to prevent bullet from contacting the device. Turning it into a suppressor requires making a secondary contact surface that will contact the end of the muzzle device to keep it aligned and prevent baffle or end cap strikes.

So the issue I see with the training cans is not the same but maybe still a problem. The training can looks like it has full contact with the muzzle device which would allow it to align properly but it’s done on the whole length of the muzzle device which would mostly or entirely eliminate having a blast chamber. Other issue I see is it’s thicker walls with a wide open hole all the way through to the end. I assume this is to give it the weight of the original can and to also not provide any noise reduction. This design as it is would be ineffective as a suppressor because adding baffles and a end cap would make it even heavier and would lose internal volume. Other option would be to have someone turn the ID down to give an acceptable wall thickness and allow more internal volume. You will want to have a portion of the blast chamber area turned down so you can have a blast chamber but still have points of contact to align it properly. The end cap can be threaded but then that makes the end cap the weakest link. The end cap would be better off being welded.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong on some of this as I’ve not had hands on on the training can and only seen pictures. There is a great deal of planning involved if you intend on not basically wasting your money.

The fully welded surefire mount can I made. Had a fair few 556 through it with it starting it’s life out on a 7.5 556 AR15.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#8]
The trainer doesn’t have a thick tube. It looks like that but it’s just some metal welded or epoxied in. The tube is actually quite thin. If I had to do it again (and I may), I would just the the adapter cut off after the blast chamber and have it cut back and threaded for another tube with thicker walls.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Got it, makes sense, like I said I’ve never seen one in person.
Top Top