Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2022 2:39:43 PM EDT
So I got a reject email today with this as the reason.

MODELS DIFFER ON FORMS. IS IT A "P556' OR A "SIG 556". PLEASE ADOPT MODEL AS ENGRAVED ON LOWER RECEIVER ONLY. REFUND IN PROCESS
View Quote

This is for a SIG 556P and is what was input on the form? So I am lost as to WTH they are talking about?

ETA the Upper is the firearm.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you put the exact verbiage from the firearm on the application?  Was there.a different spot where you may have not used the identical phrase?

Did you try calling or emailing the ATF?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The model is what is stamped on your lower receiver.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I just emailed Carol Ripley, the examiner. My lower is a 550 series lower so there is no model. the Info is all on the upper.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
On the Sig 55x series, the upper is the receiver, and has the model info, serial, etc.  There usually isn’t anything useful on the lower.  The examiner simply doesn’t know that the upper is the receiver on this gun.  What’s written on the upper, verbatim?  That’s what you need to write on the F1.  If there is a question, attach a photo of the receiver to the eForm.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:06:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Carol Ripley was my examiner and she denied mines due to a spelling error.

I did AMD-65 instead of using the auto populate which was AMD65.

But I resubmitted it that hour with the correction and she approved it that day.

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're using a Sig 556 pistol to create the SBR, the correct model is "P556" - it is NOT a "556P".  The upper is the SN part, not the lower.  I SBR'ed a P556 earlier this year and had no issues - but again - the model is a "P556".
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]
You gotta love ATF when they demand Form 1's must match exactly what's on the firearm, yet Form 3's and 4's for Dead Air silencers don't have Dead Air anywhere on them.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
She denied mine yesterday. This is the second time. The first time it was denied because I forgot to sign a form. Second time denied because of my trust. The past SBR have not had my wife’s finger prints and was approved. The last denial didn’t even mention it. I’m done just going to pin and weld the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She denied mine yesterday. This is the second time. The first time it was denied because I forgot to sign a form. Second time denied because of my trust. The past SBR have not had my wife’s finger prints and was approved. The last denial didn’t even mention it. I’m done just going to pin and weld the muzzle device.
View Quote

How long was it from you submitting to denial the 2nd try?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Two weeks after submitting on the second denial
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Email her dude.

She's super nice.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Carol Ripley was my examiner and she denied mines due to a spelling error.

I did AMD-65 instead of using the auto populate which was AMD65.

But I resubmitted it that hour with the correction and she approved it that day.

View Quote

This is a good time to remind everyone that in the past the auto-populate options have been based on what people enter, but have "wrong" answers available and they never bothered to clear them out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I submitted my first Eform 1 to SBR my Mk18 pistol on June 27th. Carol was my examiner also. Somehow I forgot to even include a picture of my guns markings but it still got approved by July 11th.

I submitted a second application July 12th for my 13" Galil ACE. The only pic I included was of the serial number. Nothing of the others OEM etchings like the model number or IWI stampings. I had heard that including all of that other stuff is just giving them bullets to shoot you with and that all they really care about is the serial number
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I submitted my first Eform 1 to SBR my Mk18 pistol on June 27th. Carol was my examiner also. Somehow I forgot to even include a picture of my guns markings but it still got approved by July 11th.

I submitted a second application July 12th for my 13" Galil ACE. The only pic I included was of the serial number. Nothing of the others OEM etchings like the model number or IWI stampings. I had heard that including all of that other stuff is just giving them bullets to shoot you with and that all they really care about is the serial number
View Quote

How could providing permanent markings give them ammunition to do anything? That doesn't quite make sense to me.  Can you elaborate?  I mean, I don't think we should have to do it, but I also don't see the harm as long as people are smart enough to limit what's in the pic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How could providing permanent markings give them ammunition to do anything? That doesn't quite make sense to me.  Can you elaborate?  I mean, I don't think we should have to do it, but I also don't see the harm as long as people are smart enough to limit what's in the pic.
View Quote

It can screw you if you what you put on the form doesn’t match the pictures.  Because of how some manufacturers format markings, sometimes people inadvertent add or omit characters that are part of the serial or model number, or incorrectly use the commercial model name instead of the actual receiver marking.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Clones.
Those guys that had their non Colt lowers engraved to look like a genuine Colt will undoubtable find out what a shitstorm is.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Clones.
Those guys that had their non Colt lowers engraved to look like a genuine Colt will undoubtable find out what a shitstorm is.
View Quote
Huh?

There have been LOTS of people that had 80% lowers engraved to look like a Colt and subsequently successfully registered them as SBR's.  Hint:  "Colt" doesn't appear anywhere on those approved Form 1's.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Huh?

There have been LOTS of people that had 80% lowers engraved to look like a Colt and subsequently successfully registered them as SBR's.  Hint:  "Colt" doesn't appear anywhere on those approved Form 1's.
View Quote

ATF only recently began asking for photos of the markings on the firearm that you intend to make.

All those "LOTS of people" were required to mark their build with the actual makers name and location.
Hint: "Colt" didn't appear on those Form 1's because the maker didn't put it on the form.

Not all receivers start out as an 80%. For example, a PSA or Anderson lower with a blank left is often reengraved with fake markings in addition to the original markings. If the applicant takes a photo of the entire left side of that lower it will show both Palmetto and his phony Colt markings.
You damn sure better include an explanation that the fake Colt markings are not the actual markings made by a manufacturer. Taking a photo of the left side of an AR lower with "Colt M4gerey" and its phony serial#.

The maker needs to photograph only the actual makers markings if it started as an 80% and the actual manufacturers markings if the lower was manufactured by someone else.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ATF only recently began asking for photos of the markings on the firearm that you intend to make.

All those "LOTS of people" were required to mark their build with the actual makers name and location.
Hint: "Colt" didn't appear on those Form 1's because the maker didn't put it on the form.

Not all receivers start out as an 80%. For example, a PSA or Anderson lower with a blank left is often reengraved with fake markings in addition to the original markings. If the applicant takes a photo of the entire left side of that lower it will show both Palmetto and his phony Colt markings.
You damn sure better include an explanation that the fake Colt markings are not the actual markings made by a manufacturer. Taking a photo of the left side of an AR lower with "Colt M4gerey" and its phony serial#.

The maker needs to photograph only the actual makers markings if it started as an 80% and the actual manufacturers markings if the lower was manufactured by someone else.
View Quote
Why would you send a photo of your rifle or lower to the ATF?  They have the provision to send a photo in with your eform, but it's not a requirement.  I have dozens of SBR's with some approved as recently as a week ago and never once I have I sent the ATF a picture of any rifle, markings or serial number - and that includes some 80%'s that I've built myself and subsequently Form 1'ed successfully.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had read that some people got denied because of incorrect receiver markings and they advised to only give the bare minimum, being the serial number, in order to give them less to scrutinize and deny you for.

When it came to filing out the form for my Galil ACE, I saw an instance where I could get screwed. One side of my receiver says "IWI - ISRAEL" and the other side says "IWI US MIDDLETOWN, PA".  

I didn't want to risk getting denied due to information not matching so I didn't include a pic of anything other than a close up of the serial number. And it just got approved the other day, so it looks like the serial number is all that's really needed.

I didn't realize the receiver marking picture wasn't an actual requirement. I guess that explains how my Mk18 went through without it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why would you send a photo of your rifle or lower to the ATF?  They have the provision to send a photo in with your eform, but it's not a requirement.  I have dozens of SBR's with some approved as recently as a week ago and never once I have I sent the ATF a picture of any rifle, markings or serial number - and that includes some 80%'s that I've built myself and subsequently Form 1'ed successfully.
View Quote

Because plenty of makers don't understand their model name.
There are numerous threads/posts on ARFcom asking about "what is my model?", "why does my model not appear on the dropdown?" and "ATF denied me because my model doesn't exist".

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
.... One side of my receiver says "IWI - ISRAEL" and the other side says "IWI US MIDDLETOWN, PA".  

View Quote

IWI is the manufacturer.
IWI US is the importer.

Some dont understand that difference.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't blame people for double-checking prior to submitting since there is no 'edit' button after submission.  It's the whole 'measure twice, cut once' mantra.  I've even done some double-checks before submitting, as the best method is to verify with those who have have successful approvals for the gun you're submitting.

That said, I'd have a hard time believing that those who have engraved a Colt logo on their 80%, or a no-logo already-made receiver actually submit it with "Colt" as the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
....That said, I'd have a hard time believing that those who have engraved a Colt logo on their 80%, or a no-logo already-made receiver actually submit it with "Colt" as the manufacturer.
View Quote

Thats not what I wrote.
Those being asked by ATF to provide photos of engravings/markings are because ATF is confused by the manufacturer information provided by the maker on the F3.
They sometimes want a photo to verify.

If you make your own "privately made firearm" and now wish to make it an SBR, ATF may ask to see how you marked that firearm.
Similarly, people may identify the model as "AR15" when the manufacturer actually marked it "A15".

Over the last decade I've received at least four SBR's where the markings on the Form 3 don't match the markings on the firearm. Some of those F3's were direct from the manufacturer. Benelli for example used their catalog# and not "M4" as marked on the SBS receiver. ATF didn't ask for me to submit a photo of that receiver, I did it because the model name on the F3 was incorrect.

With silencers its laughable. ATF demands that the F3 match what's on the firearm, then sits by as manufacturers ignore them.
Dead Air.....none of their Form 3's show Dead Air as the manufacturer. Instead its BP Products, KGmade or Sound Moderation Technologies.
Gemtech on the silencer, S&W on the F3 or F4.
The old AAC had Remington on their F3's and F4's.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top