Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2020 12:23:57 PM EDT
Hello I have a LAM but want to try some passive aiming/ like the idea of having a backup if the laser goes down.

I have a Comp m4 with the factory qrp2 Mount. I’m thinking of picking up a riser from SKD tactical. But am struggling on what height to go with 1.93 or 2.26(unity tactical height)
Thoughts?

https://www.skdtac.com/SKD-Aimpoint-QRP2-Riser-PRO-COMP-M4-p/skd.840.htm

From there website
Four riser heights are offered for the most popular applications.

The 1.73” Riser will place the center of the optic at 1.73”, which is the classic Bottom 1/3 Co-Witness position, allowing for fixed iron sights to be constantly visible for immediate use when needed, while keeping the iron sight picture at the bottom 1/3 of your Field of View so you have an uncluttered red dot view.
The 1.93” Riser will offer you a largely unimpeded FOV when using over your PEQ-15 and matches the height of the LaRue 1.93” Mounts. Even for those not using the IR aiming devices, the 1.93” Riser will allow for an upright head position for quickly finding your dot and reducing neck fatigue, while not being too high to shoot from the prone.
The 2.04” Riser will allow you to keep the exact same optic mounting height for shooters using a 2.04” Geissele mount for their Low Power Variable Optics, and also allows for in-line mounting of a CNVD that is secured to 1/2” Riser.
The 2.26” Riser provides an affordable entry-level solution to use your Aimpoint with the new Unity FAST Flip to Center Magnifier hotness, while staying within a budget. We view this Riser on a PRO or Comp M4 as the gateway mount to eventually using an Aimpoint Micro Optic coupled with the Unity FAST Mount.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
2.26 is best. Makes it easiest out of those options.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Swampfox Tomahawk in an Aero SPR Mount, on a UTG Pro 1/2" Riser....and it works great at 2.0" above Rail. But different physical make-ups may matter? I'm of the opinion that I want it as low as possible as long as it can be perfectly used with Binos...why increase H.O.B. if you don't have to?

Not really ethical, but you could grab that UTG Riser off Amazon, throw a 1.5" Absolute on it, and see if 2.0" works for you. If not, Lower 1/3 is ~2.2x". Keep it Pristine, then return it and buy your obscenely expensive mount.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Having a RDS with the largest window helps. I've ran AimPoints T1 and Comp series on 1/3 mounts with NV without a problem. If you shoot with plates it's difficult to properly shoulder your rig, on your forced to use the lower portion or toe of the stock which is the same hold while under NODs. Most people don't realize your NODs don't need to exactly line up in order to see through your RDS. IMHO try out what you have first, you may be surprised you have everything you need, before spending money and adding more weight to your kit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having a RDS with the largest window helps. I've ran AimPoints T1 and Comp series on 1/3 mounts with NV without a problem. If you shoot with plates it's difficult to properly shoulder your rig, on your forced to use the lower portion or toe of the stock which is the same hold while under NODs. Most people don't realize your NODs don't need to exactly line up in order to see through your RDS. IMHO try out what you have first, you may be surprised you have everything you need, before spending money and adding more weight to your kit.
View Quote
I was thinking about the 1.73 height which gives me lower 1/3 not sure what the qrp2 height is stock but it’s very low
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Imho, 1.93 is the minimum. Anything lower is awkward and didn’t work well for me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I really like the couple of Geissele 1.93 mounts I have. Haven't ever used anything taller
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was thinking about the 1.73 height which gives me lower 1/3 not sure what the qrp2 height is stock but it’s very low
View Quote
If you want a cheap way to get to higher is to use an old school QRP I ring spacer along with a 1/3 QRPII mount. The AimPoint ring spacer can be found for @ 15.00 on Ebay.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The Unity Fast Micro is not cheap,
but it is a really well designed mount.

Primary Arms has them in stock in FDE

Link

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Unity Fast Micro is not cheap,
but it is a really well designed mount.

Primary Arms has them in stock in FDE

Link

https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/FST-MICF_00.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000
View Quote
Agreed but I’m using a Comp m4 so I’d have to sell the optic as well
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#10]
My bad!

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you have the factory aimpoint mount, SKD Tactical sells a riser that can get your optic up to 2.26. It’s an easy and inexpensive way to get that optic up there.

Highly recommended and works great for passive shooting.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone know where to find a tall line say 1.93” 30 mm red dot mount?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top