Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/28/2022 1:27:55 AM EDT
Being as the OTM 236 has been clearanced out HERE , several of us have picked them up. started a thread for user discussion.

Has anyone had any luck with Flir tools on mobile working with theirs? I tried bluetooth and wifi and didnt get the app to connect even though the wifi was connected.

It looks like the protected 16340 I happen to have lying around will work with mine so thats what I plan to run. It does eat the cr123's
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 1:54:17 AM EDT
[#1]
What voltage were the 16340s charged to?  I'd be worried about running them in the Scion.  Primary cells are 3.2V fresh.  Li Ions are 4.2V
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Does the FLIR rechargeable pack ever go on sale?  I’d probably be in for like 100 or maybe a bit more but the $200 MSRP is a little too steep for something I’m not going to use all the time.

Ordered mine yesterday so still waiting impatiently for shipping notice.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I just use a small power bank velcro'd to the side and power it via USB C
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine won't turn on...  

Turned on once but now nothing - put in new lithiums...nothing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine won't turn on...  

View Quote

Same for a buddy of mine.  I think he's sending it to FLIR
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is now headed back to Adorama. Hopefully I get a replacement. I'll check back in here when and if I receive another.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What voltage were the 16340s charged to?  I'd be worried about running them in the Scion.  Primary cells are 3.2V fresh.  Li Ions are 4.2V
View Quote

When you search for the battery pack in some descriptions it actually mentions that the cells internally are 18650's. Hence why I'm curious if 18650's might work as a replacement. Looking at the cell holders you might have to modify them slightly.

https://www.testequipmentdepot.com/flir/accessories/batteries-and-chargers/scion-rechargeable-battery-kit-32w-3-18650-cells-7gx03f010.htm

I tried a hand warmer battery pack and it works fine. The anker battery pack has "IQ" charging and perhaps that's why it's not working?

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Being as the OTM 236 has been clearanced out HERE , several of us have picked them up. started a thread for user discussion.

Has anyone had any luck with Flir tools on mobile working with theirs? I tried bluetooth and wifi and didnt get the app to connect even though the wifi was connected.

It looks like the protected 16340 I happen to have lying around will work with mine so thats what I plan to run. It does eat the cr123's
View Quote

Yeah no luck here for getting any android app to connect to the 236. Does anyone else have any luck?
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Same for a buddy of mine.  I think he's sending it to FLIR
View Quote

I had that same problem and then I hit the power and menu button at the same time and it turned on. Not sure if there's a lock out mode, no documentation of one, but it seemed like it was in one
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I couldn’t get a power pack to work with the OTM 236 and ended up buying the FLIR battery.  It seems pretty solid so far and gives me about 9ish hours of life

I emailed customer service about the external battery pack issue and was told they inherited the scion line, and that the unit not only doesn’t work well with the battery, but doing so may eventually cause damage.

Other than that, the unit has been a bit buggy but okay for the price.  Used it to spot some Wildlife the other day and was a good complement to my Super Hogster.  I’m hoping it lasts.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When you search for the battery pack in some descriptions it actually mentions that the cells internally are 18650's. Hence why I'm curious if 18650's might work as a replacement. Looking at the cell holders you might have to modify them slightly.

https://www.testequipmentdepot.com/flir/accessories/batteries-and-chargers/scion-rechargeable-battery-kit-32w-3-18650-cells-7gx03f010.htm

I tried a hand warmer battery pack and it works fine. The anker battery pack has "IQ" charging and perhaps that's why it's not working?

View Quote

That doesn't mean anything. These battery packs often have buck/boost voltage regulators built in, it doesn't mean you can slap in 18650s into the tray made for 2 primary cells in series.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mine won't turn on...  

View Quote
mine did that when I first got it. the stock batteries were no good. I put some other batteries in it also nothing. used their usb cable off a high power cell charger and it worked. tried to power it from my PC USB and nothing. replaced with 4 fresh surefire CR123 and it worked. I now have 6 RCR123 4.2V cells that I plan to use. if you watch amazon the battery pack will go as low as 150 once in a while. Its not worth it to me. Ill just use the li-ion cr123.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:29:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That doesn't mean anything. These battery packs often have buck/boost voltage regulators built in, it doesn't mean you can slap in 18650s into the tray made for 2 primary cells in series.
View Quote

Good to know.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:33:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the PTM 466. Love it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#17]
What do you recommend for rechargeable CR123?  I've never used them before, but have a charger for some old AA's with the adjustable ends on the charger if I can find it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What do you recommend for rechargeable CR123?  I've never used them before, but have a charger for some old AA's with the adjustable ends on the charger if I can find it.
View Quote

As mentioned, be very careful doing this until someone confirms it works in theirs.  You are feeding 8.4V into a circuit designed for 6.4V.  Not something I'd try with a $800 item
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought that's what Slappomatt just said he was doing?  Is RCR123 something else?  I'm confused.

I'm definitely not interested in damaging the unit - I bought the FLIR rechargeable pack for $150, but the Western Fire Company canceled my order and refunded my money.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#20]
That's what he said he's doing but no confirmation yet.  RCR123s have never been meant to be a substitute for primaries.  Some flashlights will take both but they have to be designed to take both.  There have been many fried lights due to people haplessly substituting Li ions were they don't belong.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#21]
So is the overpriced battery from FLIR worth the money or should I look at an external power bank with USB-C like you mentioned?  I hate how fast it eats regular 123's, but I don't want to risk any damage considering how much the thing cost me.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks Will, that’s what I needed. I appreciate it!

ETA:  For those looking, it's back in stock at Amazon and the price is $155.84 currently:   FLIR Scion Rechargeable Battery   I fo'd.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks Will, that's what I needed. I appreciate it!

ETA:  For those looking, it's back in stock at Amazon and the price is $155.84 currently:   FLIR Scion Rechargeable Battery   I fo'd.
View Quote
its back up to 200.

I have some cheapo RCR that I trust less far than I can throw them. but what could go wrong? lol. ill store mine with the battery out. the cells are protected. only reason I use these is I already had several of them and they seem to work. if I were buying for this I would buy 2 quality RCR123 and verify they fit, and then buy 4 more to fill the tray.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#25]
F/W 1.1.7 in mine from the factory, indicator LED on the top won't come on regardless of the setting, but it does power up.  Anyone else seeing similar?

Eyecup is also stupidly loose - take it away from your face and it spins around by gravity.

Shipped CR123 batteries were at 3.02V each.  Given the factory battery pack explicitly states it's 3ea 18650 in parallel, I've got to believe there's a voltage regulator right on the front end of that circuit.  Not unreasonable to be concerned that NO LOAD voltage on an RCR123 is 4.2V but I guess I'm not as worried about that as some folks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#26]
could try loading 3X 16650 in the tray and see if it powers on. I have enough to try...

mine also has a loose eye cup, and the LED doesnt seem to do anything either.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Interesting. So what’s the verdict on this thermal unit? This a good buy? Needing something to scan with. What’s a reasonable PID distance to expect with this?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Interesting. So what's the verdict on this thermal unit? This a good buy? Needing something to scan with. What's a reasonable PID distance to expect with this?
View Quote
its pretty good image quality wise given the medium resolution, its large, and its heavy. for the normal $1500 price I would skip it, for the 799 adorama sale price I feel like its worth it if you want a hand held. PID distance is decent given the native 1.9X magnification
If I where actually dropping close to 2k I would save up and get something rifle mountable and helmet mountable like the Iray RL25.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Is this unit worth getting?  Specifically, seems like a lot of people are having issues with it turning on, and using external batteries.

What is the optimal setup in regards with this specific unit?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
could try loading 3X 16650 in the tray and see if it powers on. I have enough to try...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This seems like the near-perfect low-$ solution, please do try it!  Should be completely safe as we know the 3 columns are already wired in parallel, and we know the factory pack uses 3.7V 18650 cells, so if 16650s will fit in there we should be golden!

Quoted:
mine also has a loose eye cup, and the LED doesnt seem to do anything either.
Thanks!  I wasn't gonna send mine back for either of those anyway but it's nice to know it wasn't just me!
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This seems like the near-perfect low-$ solution, please do try it!  Should be completely safe as we know the 3 columns are already wired in parallel, and we know the factory pack uses 3.7V 18650 cells, so if 16650s will fit in there we should be golden!

Thanks!  I wasn't gonna send mine back for either of those anyway but it's nice to know it wasn't just me!
View Quote
I looked at my cells and they are 17670 and too long to fit the holder.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Wouldn't a prudent thing be for someone with the rechargeable pack to measure the output voltage on a full charge to see if it is regulated?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wouldn't a prudent thing be for someone with the rechargeable pack to measure the output voltage on a full charge to see if it is regulated?
View Quote

The stock non-rechargeable pack uses 2ea CR123 in series - so at minimum it's around 6V.  Even a fully-charged LiIon 18650/16650 cell isn't going to be anywhere near 6V.  That's the appeal of those cells - they're clearly UNDER the voltage for disposable cells, as opposed to the 2ea RCR123 in series which at their peak will be OVER that 6V value.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The stock non-rechargeable pack uses 2ea CR123 in series - so at minimum it's around 6V.  Even a fully-charged LiIon 18650/16650 cell isn't going to be anywhere near 6V.  That's the appeal of those cells - they're clearly UNDER the voltage for disposable cells, as opposed to the 2ea RCR123 in series which at their peak will be OVER that 6V value.
View Quote

Thanks, that makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#36]
It is regulated. Just stick an 18650 in the tray.  I used a small magnet to bridge the small gap.  Does not work.  Also it swells the tray to make it a tight fit
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've have the FLIR rechargeable pack in my OTM. Specs on the label say

Model: GPX311

Charging voltage limit 4.2v
Max charge current 5.4A
Capacity min 8.2Ah / nom. 8.5Ah
Nominal voltage 3.65V  32Wh

Indicated run time on a fresh charge is something like 11hrs.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've have the FLIR rechargeable pack in my OTM. Specs on the label say

Model: GPX311

Charging voltage limit 4.2v
Max charge current 5.4A
Capacity min 8.2Ah / nom. 8.5Ah
Nominal voltage 3.65V  32Wh

Indicated run time on a fresh charge is something like 11hrs.

Hope this helps.
View Quote

You sure it’s not gpx310?  Everything I have found says the gpx311 is the 6x cr123 holder tray, which is hilariously also over $100.  So don’t lose yours!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Count me in on the Adorama buy.  I've had some issues with the scope but I think I've ironed them out, partially because I needed to learn how the unit operates (I have a Trijicon M300W which is much more expensive but so much easier to use - guess I got spoiled) and through trial and error.  I only received two dead CR123s with mine, already installed in the battery tray, which really leads me to suspect this scope was a return.  However, the FLIR factory seal was intact.  I asked both Adorama and Teledyne if this meant I bought a used scope and neither would respond to the question.  Adorama did refund me $31, I think just to shut me up and get me to go away.

Overall, for the price, I think it's a deal.  I'll keep mine.  On a side note, apparently Teledyne has outsourced their customer service to Mexico or some other Hispanic locale.  Good luck interpreting some of the written answers to your questions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Count me in on the Adorama buy.  I've had some issues with the scope but I think I've ironed them out, partially because I needed to learn how the unit operates (I have a Trijicon M300W which is much more expensive but so much easier to use - guess I got spoiled) and through trial and error.  I only received two dead CR123s with mine, already installed in the battery tray, which really leads me to suspect this scope was a return.  However, the FLIR factory seal was intact.  I asked both Adorama and Teledyne if this meant I bought a used scope and neither would respond to the question.  Adorama did refund me $31, I think just to shut me up and get me to go away.

Overall, for the price, I think it's a deal.  I'll keep mine.  On a side note, apparently Teledyne has outsourced their customer service to Mexico or some other Hispanic locale.  Good luck interpreting some of the written answers to your questions.
View Quote
I think pretty much everyone got dead batteries from the sound of it. not sure how a 2-3 year old device ships with dead 10 year shelf life batteries... but oh well.

I am still using dual 4.2v RCR in mine and its not let any smoke out yet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You sure it’s not gpx310?  Everything I have found says the gpx311 is the 6x cr123 holder tray, which is hilariously also over $100.  So don’t lose yours!
View Quote

That's odd about the model number. Mine is marked as mentioned in my post above, model GPX311 and part # 7GX-03-F011 this is on the battery pack label/decal. However, I pulled out the FLIR packaging (a black box the size of a brick) and the number below the bar code is 7GX-03-F010.

Anyway I remember paying ~$200 (and feeling hosed about it) for the pack and the box label says it has 3 x 18650 cells by the looks of it.

Would take the pack apart but it's a sealed unit. The pack itself has a plate on the end held on by two screws, once I removed the screws...well it turns out the plate is just a spacer to fill up the battery compartment in the OTM.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#42]
I just picked up a used OTM 366 25mm for 1900.  Love this thing.  640 is SOOO much better than 320.  Also, updating the firmware was pretty easy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I bit the bullet and got the battery pack.  I'd love to have two as I always strive to have back-ups for every device but for $200?  Damn.  I'll just have to be satisfied with one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I ordered some 16650s claiming 2500mAh ratings - will run them through my Xtar charger to see what it comes up with and then try in the OTM and report back of course.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Mine is now headed back to Adorama. Hopefully I get a replacement. I'll check back in here when and if I receive another.
View Quote
Replacement received. Works fine! Easy process to return.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Well mine was delivered today and immediately had issues, first it wouldn’t power on with known good CR123s, I checked the supplied batteries and they were completely dead so didn’t even try them in the unit.  I got it to power on and played with it around the house using a power pack and the USB cable but after a couple power cycles now it won’t come on at all.  Power pack is still at / near full…

I think someone else was dealing with power issues, what was the resolution?  I need to contact adorama for an RMA?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well mine was delivered today and immediately had issues, first it wouldn't power on with known good CR123s, I checked the supplied batteries and they were completely dead so didn't even try them in the unit.  I got it to power on and played with it around the house using a power pack and the USB cable but after a couple power cycles now it won't come on at all.  Power pack is still at / near full

I think someone else was dealing with power issues, what was the resolution?  I need to contact adorama for an RMA?
View Quote
mine did almost the exact same thing. even ran off a usb pack. in the end I put 6X fresh surefire CR123 in it and it worked after that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
mine did almost the exact same thing. even ran off a usb pack. in the end I put 6X fresh surefire CR123 in it and it worked after that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well mine was delivered today and immediately had issues, first it wouldn't power on with known good CR123s, I checked the supplied batteries and they were completely dead so didn't even try them in the unit.  I got it to power on and played with it around the house using a power pack and the USB cable but after a couple power cycles now it won't come on at all.  Power pack is still at / near full

Hmmm I’m using 6x (and 4x and 2x) fresh streamlight cells but they have been sitting around for a while, guess I’ll try and get some new ones before sending it back.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Hmmm I'm using 6x (and 4x and 2x) fresh streamlight cells but they have been sitting around for a while, guess I'll try and get some new ones before sending it back.
View Quote
I am sure you know that you need to hold down the power button for a 3-4 seconds before it powers up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:10:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think pretty much everyone got dead batteries from the sound of it. not sure how a 2-3 year old device ships with dead 10 year shelf life batteries... but oh well.

I am still using dual 4.2v RCR in mine and its not let any smoke out yet.
View Quote

So just checking, but if I pick up this pack:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WTQHK27?tag=arfcom00-20

I should be pretty similar to what you're running?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top