Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2019 8:07:21 AM EDT
I’m looking at building a flintlock rifle kit.

I’m pretty set on a Pedersoli Kentucky kit, but as I was about to pull the trigger I learned about “custom” kits.

For example; Kibler Longrifle, and Pecatonica River.

I’m completely new to flintlocks, I have a little experience with percussion revolvers, but no experience with kit builds.

Are these custom kits designed for more advanced builders? Are the parts too nice to risk on a first build?  Or can you just jump right in on them?

Would the Pedersoli kits be a wiser choice to start on?

Really, what I’m looking for is something to shoot, in a curly maple stock with iron furniture; but I feel that the kits that have these options may be a little more advanced than I’m thinking.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#1]
In my own research towards assembling a kit I discovered Bill Raby on YouTube.  He has built a few while documenting his work.

Here's his channel
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
^thank you for that info.  He does a series on the Tennessee rifle kit from track of the wolf....which is one of the kits I’ve been looking at.  So the information is there if I want to take a chance!

Good deal of investment on a box of parts that can easily be screwed up though, which is why I’m slightly hesitant.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Kibler rifle is a better choice for the first gun.
The Lyman kit would be another good choice, resulting in a good gun representative of plains rifles.

Then get to Friendship to figure out what else you need!
View Quote
Any reason why the Kibler would be the better first rifle?

I’m not familiar with the Lyman...is that the brand or style of rifle?

What is a little confusing to me(I think I need to do more research) is the different styles of flintlocks.
It was easier back when I thought there were only a few “styles” Kentucky/Pennsylvania, etc.  now I see that there are many different variations.

Is friendship another supplier?
I’ve been looking at Dixie, track of the wolf,possibleshop, and crazycrow.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any reason why the Kibler would be the better first rifle?

I’m not familiar with the Lyman...is that the brand or style of rifle?

What is a little confusing to me(I think I need to do more research) is the different styles of flintlocks.
It was easier back when I thought there were only a few “styles” Kentucky/Pennsylvania, etc.  now I see that there are many different variations.

Is friendship another supplier?
I’ve been looking at Dixie, track of the wolf,possibleshop, and crazycrow.
View Quote
I have built a couple of the Lyman kits over the years. There are complete enough that you will be hard pressed to mess it up. And you will end up with a great gun that will last you forever. And their price point is such that you aren't out a ton of money if you don't like the finished product. Resale value is decent also.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
ummm long time flint lock shooter/builder here.

No offense meant but with the questions you're asking any of these flint kits may be a bit over your head.

check out this forum,a bunch of opinionated farts but most are very knowledgeable.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for all of the responses.

I think I’m heavily leaning towards the Kibler colonial rifle at this point.  In the last few weeks I’ve watched most of his videos on YouTube, and on top of liking what he’s offering for sale, I’d be happy to support a guy like him.

I’m new to flintlocks, not new to firearms or working with my hands.

I don’t want to buy something and not be happy and wish I had spent a little more.   I think the Kibler rifles are exactly what I’m looking for.

I also forgot that I had looked at the Lyman rifles, along with the traditions rifles.  Personally I quickly dismissed them(how I forgot I had looked at them) because of the 2 piece stocks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I am by no measure a craftsman, or an expert, but I did build a flintlock from a TVM kit a few years ago. I built an iron Early Virginian Longrifle.  Mine turned out very nice, it looks good, and function is 100 %. Because I am not a craftsman there are no inlays,  or carving on the stock. But I took care in finishing the wood, and trimming/shaping the stock. With whatever kit you get take your time an enjoy the ride. If I had it to do over again the only thing I would have done different is to have ordered the kit with a swamped barrel. While you are building study pictures of other rifles to help you get the shape and dimensions right, slimmer is better.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Have built three of Jim's kits.  Just watch his videos.  He has a full series on building both the SMR and the Colonial.

If I can do it, you can do it!!

WOah, those are big pictures!!!  But you can get an idea of the fit of the lock plate to the wood and such.  Just immaculate.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have built three of Jim's kits.  Just watch his videos.  He has a full series on building both the SMR and the Colonial.

If I can do it, you can do it!!

https://i.imgur.com/oCSrdbW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S4cyQNx.jpg

WOah, those are big pictures!!!  But you can get an idea of the fit of the lock plate to the wood and such.  Just immaculate.

Doc
View Quote
Looks great, thanks for posting!
Which grade of fancy maple is that?

Thank you again for all of the info from everyone.  I made a decision, and am grateful for the posts here and your help.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Kiblers kits are far and away the finest crafted  rifle kits to be had.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Kiblers kits are far and away the finest crafted  rifle kits to be had.
View Quote
Glad to hear it, that’s what I chose!
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#16]
That was the top of the line on the maple.  He has posted some truly amazing stuff, and may have some left, but I think you have to ask for it.  You won't be disappointed.

I did keep telling myself through the project, however, "Go slow, take your time, don't make a 500 dollar rifle out of a 1000 dollar kit!!!!!"

Doc
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Bending, go to americanlongrifles.org forums,in the gun builders section, you will find many people who have built jim's kits
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks doc and thanks varg!

Kit will be here this weekend, can’t wait.  Thought about doing some engraving on the wood.  Might save that for a future kit if I have enough fun with this one.

I would imagine the risk of what you said doc skyrockets with attempting engravings.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm interested in buying a Traditions flintlock Kentucky Rifle kit.

Basically I just want something to take for muzzleloading season, and to hang on my wall.

I've built ARs and mausers, so I consider myself moderately skilled with building rifles. Is this a reasonable kit to buy and successfully build?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want to have a rifle that actually looks like what was more or less common back then and have it be of very high quality, then save your pennies and get a Kibler kit. And they are about the easiest of the high quality offerings.
If you want something that just goes bang, and is cheap then look into one of the cheap offerings out there, usually Spanish made.

AeroE above stated things quite accurately.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:
If you want to have a rifle that actually looks like what was more or less common back then and have it be of very high quality, then save your pennies and get a Kibler kit. And they are about the easiest of the high quality offerings.
If you want something that just goes bang, and is cheap then look into one of the cheap offerings out there, usually Spanish made.

AeroE above stated things quite accurately.
View Quote

Looks like those are over 1200 dollars on their website. That's a lot more than I'm willing to pay.

I've seen a few up close pictures, and I understand that the quality, fit and finish is pretty low, sort of like a cheap 10/22.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#22]
A Kibler kit by a mile.

Now, if you are retired, bored, single, flush with some extra cash, and have some
very nice workshop space, go any other route. If you are married & are looking for
some excuse to be out in the shop, any other kit will accomplish that also :)

Jim's kits are nice & pretty easy (compared to other kits) to finish. They are leaps &
bounds ahead of where the old Track kits are at as regards what remains to be completed.

I'll jump into a Track kit when I retire; As it is now, I do painstaking precision work
8 hours a day for a living. I don't feel like doing it again when I get home in the evening.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Resurrecting an old thread, but I've been investigating this for a while and it is pertinent to my interests.

I really want a short, larger caliber like a Jaeger.  Saw that the Rifle Shoppe has a fancy Jaeger and an 1800 Baker which would suit my needs and be a cool military arm.

Anyone have any history with these kits?  Looks like a little more work with rough castings.  Not sure of the component fit.

They are similar price to other quality kits.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Resurrecting an old thread, but I've been investigating this for a while and it is pertinent to my interests.

I really want a short, larger caliber like a Jaeger.  Saw that the Rifle Shoppe has a fancy Jaeger and an 1800 Baker which would suit my needs and be a cool military arm.

Anyone have any history with these kits?  Looks like a little more work with rough castings.  Not sure of the component fit.

They are similar price to other quality kits.
View Quote

Ok, I have a set of Rifle Shoppe parts and they are VERY advanced parts kits. Also another issue with them is they are monumentally slow, think multiple years to get your order. I think Jim Chambers offers a quality Jaeger kit, which if he does will be a high quality kit, but will require a fair amount of work to finish.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Kibler for beginners who want quality.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you want to have a rifle that actually looks like what was more or less common back then and have it be of very high quality, then save your pennies and get a Kibler kit. And they are about the easiest of the high quality offerings.
If you want something that just goes bang, and is cheap then look into one of the cheap offerings out there, usually Spanish made.

AeroE above stated things quite accurately.
View Quote

I have a few TC Hawkens, they go bang.  Looking for more authentic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top